I didnt know where to post this as its not really a cover and its not a tone per guitarists axe, more a query about GearBox and if this is a fairly decent MoP tone?

I only been learning this song today and I realise Im the worst guitarist on earth as of only been playing on average 10 minutes a day for a year or so and I do apologise for the crap noodling, pick slide and weak pinch harmonics at the end. Just wanted a comparison tone of lead with this tone.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/fiztech/music/all/play422558

thing is, i really enjoy playing these metal riffs even if I know i suck.
Last edited by fiztech at Sep 25, 2008,
Quote by pwrmax
Close, try scooping the mids just a tad more.

thanks, will try that now.

im really embarassed letting people here me play, especially something im only just starting to learn. the whole palm muting thing rocks but im ashamed of my ability and sometimes feel like im a lost cause with guitar.
sounds really fizzy, try turning the treble/gain down slightly too
Quote by Eltis

i recorded it on my lead pickup at full treble so maybe should try the neck pup?

i could try adjusting the "fiz" on the stomp box too.
yeh very fuzzy, turn down distortion or gain down a bit, so you get less fuzz
also sounds like your fingers are hitting notes a bit wrong but i guess just practice more
[img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9595/userbar671014hu6.gif[/img]
Quote by Eltis

Well, he is Fiztec, after all...

Quote by Y00p
Well, he is Fiztec, after all...

lol exactly wat i was thinking he he.

but it seems to be the best on gearbox and MoP listening to it is quite fizzy, or overdriven clippy like fizz.
cool will add more bass, will lift the mid a little.

im playing with a metronome at 203bpm. i find those intro riffs easy enough to play, but when skipping to the second riff of the intro the change over awkward, as in just the notes per barre change and after drilling into the first riff its hard to quickly change mentally to the second. any tips there?

am i really as shit as i give myself credit for after a few hours of learning these riffs? im sure if i had been playing for years learning a new genre would be quite easy.
It's not bad, but I'd add more bass, scoop the mids a bit more, and maybe even cut the gain a bit.
But that's just my opinion.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by JaykeSucks
It's not bad, but I'd add more bass, scoop the mids a bit more, and maybe even cut the gain a bit.
But that's just my opinion.

thanks jayke

hey did you sell your jackson? i saw it on ebay. add me to ur mates list dude
Quote by fiztech
thanks jayke

hey did you sell your jackson? i saw it on ebay. add me to ur mates list dude

Added.
Yeah, the Jackson sold in the end, which was good.
$750 for it with a hardcase, so I was very relieved in the end to finally get out of debt.
Member of the Laney Cult
yeah sorry i didnt buy it dude.

i got an esp viper 301 now. kicks some serious ass on the hardtail front. now i just need to figure out how to play metal.
Not even close man.

Too loose, not enough grind, too much gain, not enough bass.

It just adds up to a really thin sounding guitar tone. You have to realize that Metallica overdubbed the shit out of their recordings, so recording the riff once without overdubbing and reamping isn't going to nail that sound.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
is it me or is that really really slow ?
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by ac/dc752
is it me or is that really really slow ?

SLOW? lol , serious? i just played it along to the powertab and that thing rips at 203bpm. although yes i think im down on the second riff. im still working on it. certainly one fast things to try and play. it helps a lot to play fast like that, makes simple chord stuff i usually play like acdc and the like really easy as im more relaxed after trying to play fast with only down strokes.

but yeah, i know it sux, was my first go after a couple hours.
Quote by Moe.
Sounds completely off.

can you record your version so i can hear what you mean by off? thanks
Quote by fiztech

I don't have a recorded version. Nor do I have a tone that sounds like MOP.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by fiztech

I'll try and record a cover today if you like.
You're playing it slower than the original, and the lack of bass + not being overdubbed makes it sound too "thin", is what I think he means.
I'll record a cover today and I'll let you know when it's on my profile.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by JaykeSucks
I'll try and record a cover today if you like.
I'll record a cover today and I'll let you know when it's on my profile.

sweet as bro !

i know im playing the second riff a tad slow, but dont think i am the first as im playing in time with power tab, although i havnt practised it since i first posted so maybe i go back and try again.
Quote by Moe.
I don't have a recorded version. Nor do I have a tone that sounds like MOP.

thats cool, just thought u might have had something. i listen to the record, but i guess the temp and pattern will take time to become muscle memory.

is this common when learning stuff to be out of time, i dont mean by heaps, but the odd note added here the odd one missed there. i try slowing it down and no issues, but playing at 203bpm with downstrokes is hard work ha ha. and no i dont like playing alternate pick on this, just doesnt feel right.
yeah it happens. Best bet is to slow it down and take it one note at a time until you can play it fast enough.

By the way you were off the whole time in that recording. I uploaded a MoP cover to virtual rock band I did a long time ago that should be right. I'll listen in a minute to make sure :P

http://www.virtualrockband.com/tracks.do?forward=view&id=707

EDIT: DEAR GOD ignore the fukked up harmony and poor attempt at the solo lmao.
Quote by fiztech
thats cool, just thought u might have had something. i listen to the record, but i guess the temp and pattern will take time to become muscle memory.

is this common when learning stuff to be out of time, i dont mean by heaps, but the odd note added here the odd one missed there. i try slowing it down and no issues, but playing at 203bpm with downstrokes is hard work ha ha. and no i dont like playing alternate pick on this, just doesnt feel right.

If you're going for an MOP sound, go for Kirk's MOP sound. His tone is so much more basic than James'. James tends to cut a certain frequency out of his tone completely. Kirk's tone on the other hand doesn't require much to achieve.

I'm not sure about the timing issue too. I used to play drums, so I learnt my timing from them. But when learning them I was out of time a bit.

And I agree on the alternate picking. It doesn't feel right for this song.
turn on the eq pedal in gearbox and use that to shape your tone, some of the basic amp models are a bit shit and need the wider eq spectrum offered by the pedal to sculpt a usable sound.

a smidgen of reverb can also make the fizziness less prominent.

ps, what amp/cab model did you use for that recording?
thanks all

so should i give up guitar? sometimes i hate myself so much for not being able to play this stuff. perhaps im a little harsh given the time i put into it. but i love and hate it. perhaps im better than when i first started, i dunno, but sometimes i lose the feeling im learning and just wanna give it up because everyone else (not matter what) sounds better to me. ok so i put a couple of hours into learning the tab and thats my first cut in audacity, but i still think i should be better. but, it makes my hendrix and acdc stuff so much easier. its like i have more time to play things now.

haz i downloaded it from custom, its the best MoP tone i could find (i default to pod xt even though i use toneport as there isnt a toneport option on the custom site), it uses 2001 Treadplate Dual and a Brit t75. should i try it with the neck pup? what does JH use?
check my profile, i made a custom tone using the models you mentioned. settings below;

turn on the screamer under the stomp boxes (play with the knobs, dont drive it too much though) and keep medium hall reverb under 60% mix. you kinda lose some note definition but it takes some of the harsh fizz away. try it out.

also, it might be worth mentioning that james' rhythm tone is triple tracked, so it's quite difficult to achieve without studio magic.
Last edited by haz_uk at Sep 26, 2008,
Give up guitar? **** no! It takes time to learn man.

If you want to get better, start with an exercise.

E|------------7---------7-8-------7-8-10
B|--7-8-10----8-10--------10----------
G|-----------------------------------------
D|-----------------------------------------
A|-----------------------------------------
E|-----------------------------------------

Just play that. They're 16th notes, and it's 3/4 timing. Alternate pick each time you go through it. Start off on a tempo slowly like 50. Play the exercise for a minute. If you can play it cleanly for one minute, try it with the tempo of 51. Keep going up by one, and when you feel like you can't play any faster without sacrificing some cleanliness in your playing, stop. That's your limit for the day. The next day, start the tempo on either 5 or 10 below what your maximum was on the day before.

It's time consuming, but is very good for getting better, cleaner, and faster.
thanks all. i guess its just practise, this is a pretty quick song, im definitely down on pace by about 30-40bpm.

haz that tone is awesome. when i feel my speed is right i will record again with that tone.