lolhi

ok essentially my setup is

white guitar -> DS1 -> Fender Princeton Reverb (built in '68)

the amp in case you're unaware is single channel all tube with ORGASMIC cleans. Funnily enough the DS1 sounds pretty tight going through it.

Essentially I need to get some kind of very tight distortion/OD pedal to go into this amp to give it some modern metal tones, and particularly a lead tone. I think keeping this amp is paramount because the cleans are just so orgasmic and i actually use them quite a bit. My band is a more opethy style with the whole metal/jazzy combo so I actually need both crushing distortion and haunting cleans.

Oh, and unlimited budget.

On an entirely unrelated side note I intend one day to include a Soldano Avenger into the setup but am unsure of how it would work.
i have a 'white guitar'
modern metal? maybe a metal muff or a boss md-2/mt-2 or something similar. also look into something like a staurator, or tubescreamer. check out youtube and google for some demos of these

edit: maybe not a tubescreamer but here's another option http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8a046Jy08Q&feature=related
edit2: I'd suggest higher end, but I don't want to steer people in the direction of something I've never heard, which means I won't suggest a bunch of botique pedals I can't afford.
Last edited by _Sanitarium_ at Oct 5, 2008,
well, probably not /too/ modern, i like my mids since i barely play any chords (other people doing that) and mostly melody even with vocals
i have a 'white guitar'
Dude, he has unlimited budget and you recommend a Boss MT-2?

I don't know much about high end metal pedals, although Damage Control and zVex get good reviews
on most of the damage control reviews i think they say how it sounds really tight on a SS amp but gets slightly iffy into tubes.

Also, with tube pedals how much of it is overrated hype?

yeah but just think, with unlimited budget i could hook up 100 MT-2's and it'll sound brutal xD
i have a 'white guitar'
You'd be better off getting a high gain head and a/b ing it with your Princeton.
z-vex box of metal
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by imgooley
You'd be better off getting a high gain head and a/b ing it with your Princeton.

Tr00dat
With an unlimited budget you can something like a high-end ENGL, Diezel, Mesa etc.
^Or the Soldano Avenger.

I think an SF Fender+a Single Channel High Gain Monster would be the best bet.
Quote by imgooley
^Or the Soldano Avenger.

I think an SF Fender+a Single Channel High Gain Monster would be the best bet.

Avenger? Why not go the whole hog and get SLO100?
Quote by Horlicks
Avenger? Why not go the whole hog and get SLO100?

Doit.

You know you want to.

Hell, I play Blues and I'd kill for a SLO
Catalinbread dirty channel perhaps? It's designed for single-channel amps. Distortion pedals are generally you get what you pay for, so just try stuff.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
my completely unrelated note in the first post involved technicalities of stringing the Avenger and Fender together, which i have concluded would be fairly ultimate setup. In case anyone is unaware, the Fender is only 12 watts (I mic my amp anyways so live it could only go up to 3 without clipping regardless)

as for the SLO + Fender deal how much more win would it have over the Avenger, especially if i'm using fender cleans?

the main reason i was asking about pedals was that firstly my parents (and even to an extent me) would probably not allow such large purchases (especially after that jem one mmmmm (this is all my own money harharrr i am in the workforce)) so for amps it would probably take a very long time to get it. And secondly its not exactly necessary right now anyways.
i have a 'white guitar'
A 12 watt one channel vintage voiced amplifier will not give you the dirty tone that you want.

Since you are keeping the Princeton for clean, a 1 channel high gain head, regardless of what it is, would do you good.

Hell, even a 5150 would be a better choice than trying to make your Princeton do modern metal.
^actually thats a really good point. anything that can make my princeton do modern metal would have to basically be a very very small spider and override my amp entirely.

but good god now i have to figure out how to make this large purchase

and in canada, prices MASSIVELY inflate. tsk tsk.
i have a 'white guitar'
^Get a Peters.
WHOA canadian amps

though they're still just as expensive, without massive canadian inflation on the soldanos. i will have to see about this (massive inflation).
i have a 'white guitar'