Is there some type of electronic device that can change the tuning of a bass on a whim?
I'm not following. The closest thing I can think of is a hipshot d-tuner, which I have on my bass. It's a lever that changes the E to a D (or whatever you want, really). Unless of course you're talking about a similar concept to the Gibson robot guitar, in which case the answer is no.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sorry, I guess I didn't explain all that well. To better clarify, there's a preset on the Fender VG Stratocaster that enables the guitar to replicate an E to Drop D tuning (through electronics, no physical change to the string or tuning pegs) by pressing a button on the guitar. I'm wondering if this technology is worked in to a pedal I'm not aware of...just for convenience sake?
I propose a Fender Robot Bass.

... because obviously a Gibson Robot Bass would be the greatest waste of technology ever conceived.
Man, if I could fit the robot device for measuring and showing how well intonated you are, I'd do it in seconds. Far more useful than the tuning stuff, yet completely overlooked by the people who are all "zomg, just retune it yourself, the robot is a huge waste ololol."

Anyways, it's not hard to retune yerself I'm not sure how to do it electronically. Steal a robot and it's patent.
Quote by Arbitror
I propose a Fender Robot Bass.

... because obviously a Gibson Robot Bass would be the greatest waste of technology ever conceived.

I propose a Schecter Robot bass, because Schecter isn't as rediculously expensive as an American Fender or Gibson would be...
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by AndyTroz
I've stumbled across this page that introduced me to pitch shifters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whammy_pedal

Would these be efficient for taking a standard tune bass and electronically dropping it half a step?

I dont see 1 semi tone down and at £500 for one pedal, no thanks lol nice idea tho

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
^ Thats like $1000!!! are you sure thats right, or is digitech trying to rip everyone off in england? I believe I got mine for about US$160, but it was 2 years ago, hard to remember. And they go for US$200 new on musician's friend. I could probably just sell you mine if you want one.

Quote by AndyTroz
I've stumbled across this page that introduced me to pitch shifters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whammy_pedal

Would these be efficient for taking a standard tune bass and electronically dropping it half a step?

I've got one, mainly on a whim (DAMN YOU EBAY!!!). The drop tuner mode actually brings it down 1 steps, unless you have the patience and foot control to hook up a tuner to it (I don't) It also, frankly, sounds like crap on bass in most of the modes (including the drop tuner). the octave harmonizer is so-so, and the detuner is pretty good, though. It also sounds great on a guitar. I might even sell it one of these days (if anyones interested).
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
^ Thats like $1000!!! are you sure thats right, or is digitech trying to rip everyone off in england? I believe I got mine for about US$160, but it was 2 years ago, hard to remember. And they go for US$200 new on musician's friend. I could probably just sell you mine if you want one.

Talking about the original digitech whammy. They've become a collector's item and thus, prices have shot through the roof.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Still, I've seen bass whammies for £350 ish (have to buy from the states of japan though). Still, I suppose the 'original is best' mentality would have driven the price of the first whammies up.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1