I've heard its bad to do too much pratice right way, cause it can damage your hands etc.

How long should I spend on warm up excercises? Until today I never thought about it and just started playing for an hour at a time, starting on riffs.

I've only been having lessons for about 8 weeks and up until a week ago I was practicing about 20 mins every other day. I've now started practicing for 2 - 3 hours a day, with the first session being about 1 - 1.5 hours

The fourth finger on my strumming hand was clicking a minute ago when i was bending it but its stopped now. Is this just because my fingers are weak at the moment?

Thank you
Live and let die
yea, practicing a lot early will hurt your fingers, but it'll build callouses on your fingers so next time it won't hurt so much

remember: no pain, no gain.
Quote by GNiCk89
The other day my girlfriend called me a pedophile.

I said, "Damn, that's a big-ass word for an 8 year-old."
rofl? bullet for my valentine practise for 6 hours before a gig, lol
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
i'm talking about my finger tips, they are a little sore but that's inevitable.

But i know you can do yourself injury to your wrists etc by going from playing virtually nothing to launching into Megadeth etc for 5 hours at a time. Especially without warm up excerices. But I just wondered if people thought going from nothing to 1.5 hours at a time and 2-3 in a day would be ok
Live and let die
Quote by shell145
I've heard its bad to do too much pratice right way, cause it can damage your hands etc.

How long should I spend on warm up excercises? Until today I never thought about it and just started playing for an hour at a time, starting on riffs.

I've only been having lessons for about 8 weeks and up until a week ago I was practicing about 20 mins every other day. I've now started practicing for 2 - 3 hours a day, with the first session being about 1 - 1.5 hours

The fourth finger on my strumming hand was clicking a minute ago when i was bending it but its stopped now. Is this just because my fingers are weak at the moment?

Thank you

If it becomes boring, or a chore, or if it causes pain or visible damage...then it's too much.

As long as you're motivated, interested and not over-exerting yourself you can practice as much as you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The goal should be focused practice. As long as your mind is fully engaged and interested, you're doing well. Once you start to fade either mentally or physically, at least take a break.
Quote by steven seagull
If it becomes boring, or a chore, or if it causes pain or visible damage...then it's too much.

As long as you're motivated, interested and not over-exerting yourself you can practice as much as you want.

+1. If you aren't getting anything out of it, don't force it .
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by t0m_r0cks

So it's safe to assume that 6 hours is too much, right?
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by t0m_r0cks

...further proof that practicing for longer doesn't automatically make you any better
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
fair does, i wasnt sayin you should, im just sayin he does
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Quote by steven seagull
...further proof that practicing for longer doesn't automatically make you any better

hahaha
Quote by t0m_r0cks

No.

Depends on what you practice. If your practice fast stuff (which I doubt because your just starting out.) make sure you stop if anything hurts. If its pain from the strings on your finger thats normal but if its pain from stretching or extra tension make sure to take breaks and stretch if anything hurts. Make sure to stay relaxed.
i remember for a couple of days i was practicin for 8 hours last year! i couldnt keep up with homework though so i had to stop. i was aimin for 12 hours a day like eddie van halen! my fingers werent hurt though, but i dont know how experiened you are (im not that much- at all- but just enough to live through it) so how is your day? im super bored.
Quote by shell145

Thank you

thats really good that you are getting more motivated to play at your 8 week mark. most people quit by this time.

you can play for as long as you want. happy?
Yeah. I practice maybe an hour a day ever other day...

TBH though, straight playing is probably more in the 3 hours at least a day. But maybe an extra hour every other day, on actual scales, or chords, or trying to learn something new as far as techniques. Just playing songs you know, that arent terribly challenging, won't do much as far as injury if you don't over-do it. And the more you play the more advanced songs you get to that don't bother your hand at all so long as you stretch. Whihc i think is the key thing echoed hered in the thread.

I.E. I've been playing for about ten years or so... and When I first started, I was lucky if I could get multiple nirvana songs without a hand cramp. Then you move on to more and more complex stuff. Now I get bored and spend two or three hours playing some heavier faster thrash stuff... Metallica, Anthrax.... and Maybe when mys kills improve, I can play vai songs for hours on end? maybe...

It's all frame of mind really. So long as you stretch regularly, and stop if it starts to hurt anywhere other than your fingertips, Play as much as you want. But thats the key, if it hurts.. quit it, figure out what your doing that makes it hurt, and dont do it anymore.
Most important has been said really.
Just feel your muscles and don't let it get boring. Don't forget practising correctly, you don't want your muscles to get f'ed up in 5-10years.
The 3P's of playing guitar... Practise, practise and ...persistence
I practice about 3hours a day.. with some breaks like stretching,drink water,etc..
but that doesn't include while watching,eating,etc... I pretty much can't live without my guitar now.. lol

oh well if it bleeds then I suggest you stop to prevent infection..
I'm actually trying to practice LESS right now. Why? When I am going through a phase of being super into playing, it tends to consume my life, so I have to watch that I don't neglect other parts of my life like not spending enough time with my wife and kids, or mailing it in at work.
So, I'm really analyzing my practice looking for ways to get the absolute most out of it in a shorter time. Even if a person doesn't have time limitations, this is a very good exercise to go through - how do I get the absolute most I can out of x hours of practice per night?