Hey, so my dad picked this up at a garage sale and I was wondering if it would be worth fixing up so it could be played again. It would need tuners, a set of humbuckers, a bridge, the string holder thingy, a nut, and some knobs.
Does it seem worth it?
Full view
(Invalid img)
Head stock
(Invalid img)
Body
(Invalid img)
Thanks guys
Nice find! You hardly ever see 12 string LP shaped guitars - I say go for it, but look inside the cavities and check its not plywood first!
Last edited by xharass_natox at Sep 25, 2008,
do it!!!

that thing looks awesome, and id certainly say it was worth fixing up XD
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
am i correct assuming there are no cracks or gouges or other deformities that would otherwise make the guitar unusable? if so, i would say get yourself a bridge and a stopbar, a nut, and align the neck up so that everything lines up, get either two sets of tuners (or do they make sets of 12 for 12-strings....i've never looked so i dont know) and string it up.

if at this point, it seems playable (action is good, neck isnt warped beyond simple repair, stays in tune fairly well, plays well) then you are good to go. if it isnt playable and unrepairable at this point, than i suggest stopping, unless you are in for some frustration or are willing to pay someone to fix it.

now, that you know it is playable, unstring it, get yourself two humbuckers, pots, knobs, a switch, input, wires, and any other gadgets (kill switch, phase switch, etc...) that you would want to install, and go crazy with a soldering iron.

after all this, string it back up, and test her out. make sure your pots are working fine, you have no cold joints, no cracking, all around electronics test to make sure everything works.

if everything works, than you got yourself a nice 12 string, congrats.

cosmetically, i'd say it looks fine, its looks nice worn in my opinion.
Could do with a refinish IMO

definatly work out if its plywood, see if you can find any bare wood on the body,

and make sure you get a bridge and tail peice that will fit the post spacing already installed, then then a nut that will fit the neck width so it all tapers correctly.

and then as said above check it plays first before even bothering with the electronics.

Hardware isn't too expensive so it'l be a nice lil refurb project if it all goes well!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I think installing a phase switch would be a good plan. I love the out-of-phase weak signal you get of a LP with phase switches added. Combine that with 12 strings, and you have a Rickenepiphone!
A kill switch just cuts your sound out while activated.

A phase switch puts the coils from being in phase (constructive superposition) and out of phase (destructive superpostition) basically the field generated is strongest inphase which is the normal pup sound, and weakest out of phase (to a point where you can get no sound) giving a different/quieter/softer etc sound.

Pretty sure thats how it works... lol

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I personally wouldn't put a killswitch or any extra mods on it. I'd just fix it up and leave it without any extra modifications. That way it'd still sort of be original (except for all the new hardware, pickups, etc.)

That's just my opinion though.

And parts for a 12-string...? Hmm. Good question. I wouldn't know where to get a bridge for a 12-string. Same with the nut. But everything else should be like a regular 6-string. Just with 6 more tuners.

Hmm.
I'll buy that off you if you decide not to fix it. How much did your dad pay for it?
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by Mockingbird452
I personally wouldn't put a killswitch or any extra mods on it. I'd just fix it up and leave it without any extra modifications. That way it'd still sort of be original (except for all the new hardware, pickups, etc.)

That's just my opinion though.

That is what I was thinking, I would like to leave it as original as possible so that if I ever decided to sell it it would be worth more.

He accually got it for free
I wouldn't even repaint it, it looks really good as is. If you decide to sell it even after you restore it PM me, I'd love to have one of those.
Good luck.
Quote by handbanana
just slap a clear-coat on it and leave it in Worn Burst, it looks kick-ass
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
For 12 string tuners, wouldn't you get some 6 a sides, and then some lefty 6 a sides?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
You can find 12 string T.O.M.s on ebay.
Quote by handbanana