Page 1 of 2
This question is really for all the Brits here in the Pit.

What do you guys think about the ID card idea? How do you guys feel about how the government has spent 4.7 billion pounds on this and that both major opposition parties have vowed to get rid of the idea as soon as they come into power?
Last edited by Seryaph at Sep 25, 2008,
..Hitler did something like this
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
The idea of an ID card is not crap in itself, but the way they're going about it certainly is, and it's ridiculously expensive.
I see it's being implemented on immigrants now actually. They're basically telling them they comply or get out. Shocking.
RULE BRITANNIA
Damn where im from ID cards have been around since like WW2.. Cops use it to catch underage drinkers and stuff..
I don't like the fact that the government will be able to track me with it even more than they already can, and the fact they have royally arsed it up.

It seems like Labour are trying their best to turn Britain into a police state, with the ridiculous number of CCTV cameras we have and now this. I don't like it at all.
Quote by freedoms_stain
The idea of an ID card is not crap in itself, but the way they're going about it certainly is, and it's ridiculously expensive.

yup!
there could be so much done with that money. :/
Quote by xyber56
Damn where im from ID cards have been around since like WW2.. Cops use it to catch underage drinkers and stuff..

Is it effective? What are the overall thoughts on them?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Don't see whats wrong with an ID Card.

We have them here, and they're fucking useful in the airport, speeds shit up.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I see it's being implemented on immigrants now actually. They're basically telling them they comply or get out. Shocking.

Im sorry to say I completly agree with this scheme for the imigrants as in my area itsturned into a huge problem.

Crime is way up, people are scared to walk the streets after dark due to groups of 20 or more on every corner. Beggars everywhere now and to top it off its killed the property prices in the area as no one wants to move here anymore.

That said we should have removed all social services for asylum seekers years ago as thats why they come here rather than any other country, free housing schooling and medical to all. GREAT BRITAIN!!
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
The Home Office says that they're an easy way for legal residents of the UK to prove their identities when applying for state benefits or services at private businesses. I don't really see anything wrong with that idea in principle.

The cards will be biometrically linked to their owners, i.e. with fingerprints, together with a photograph. This has the obvious disadvantage that the government will have your unique biological signature on file, prompting quite legitimate fears that the cards will effectively become a legal infringement upon our civil liberties.

There are some myths surrounding the ID card scheme which the government is keen to dispel. It is false that: [copypasta]

* You’ll have to carry a card
* The police can demand to see your card
* The money could be better spent on other public services (Other than some of the initial setup costs, the scheme will be funded, as with passports, mainly through fees charged to those applying.)
* The database will know everything about you. (Only basic personal information will be held to prove your identity - This is no different to what is already held by the public sector.)
* ID cards can stop global terrorism and crime (false, but in theory they could prevent some identity fraud)
* An ID card will cost £300 (Actually the figure is more like £30, or less)

Even so, I'll be opting out, I think. I don't think it would be cost-effective for me, plus the fingerprints things freaks me out a little. In my opinion it might help legal immigrants gain a bit more status without everyone thinking they came here in the back of a lorry.
Maybe not all the people has something to have as an ID?

In chile we have ID cards, they are pretty useful
I'm shocked that here in uk (I'm on london) When i show up, they say, wtf is this, and i say.. my id card of chile?
It' just one more card that you have to carry on your wallet
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
As one Andy Parson's said "i don't know about you, but i tend to take my eyes and my fingerprints with me wherever i go"
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Quote by rigiddigits
I've read the propaganda. And it won't be opt-out for long. Students will be targeted first.
I'm not overly bothered to be honest. It will catch out underage drinkers and smokers. Fortunatly, by the time they are implemented, I'll be 18.
The problem will be the police flagrantly misusing their powers to stop and search which is bad enough as it is but they will be worse if legally everyone has to carry a card they will demand to see it for no reason other than bordom.

My mate mike jackson will be happy as it will save him some of the hassle of explaining that his name is really micheal jackson.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Is it effective? What are the overall thoughts on them?

Well yeah it makes it easier to catch underaged drinking and stuff.. Also illegal immigrants because the police can detail you if you are unable to produce any form of identification..

It has been abused however especially by illegal money lenders.. U can borrow money by trading ur ID because it has ur address on it.

No one actually thinks much of them anymore since it has been around for a long long time..
Quote by xyber56
Well yeah it makes it easier to catch underaged drinking and stuff.. Also illegal immigrants because the police can detail you if you are unable to produce any form of identification..

It has been abused however especially by illegal money lenders.. U can borrow money by trading ur ID because it has ur address on it.

No one actually thinks much of them anymore since it has been around for a long long time..

That's put some perspective on things, thanks

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by smb
I've read the propaganda. And it won't be opt-out for long. Students will be targeted first.
Oh, I might have heard that too come to think of it. Does you has proof?

Anyway I'm a graduate so I'm safe for a few more years
The student thing, or the option thing?

You won't be able to get a student loan without an ID card when they're implemented.
Quote by smb
The student thing, or the option thing?

You won't be able to get a student loan without an ID card when they're implemented.
The thing where you said they won't be opt-out for long. That's interesting actually; so maybe the concept of 'opting out' might only apply... if you don't want to apply for anything ever. Hmm.
Quote by xyber56
Well yeah it makes it easier to catch underaged drinking and stuff..

How does this work? I'm from the US, and when people at a store ask to see your ID for liquor, you can usually say "oh, i left it in my car, want me to get it?" and they just it slide.

Unless it isnt that kind of ID card, I'm not really sure i understand the whole concept.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
I'm not in the UK, so I'm not really aure what you guys are talking about...

like, a seperate card other than a drivers license that can be used as ID (I can also use my health card as ID now, too, but thats not that point..)?

I wouldn't really see a point to that..
Just seems like extra money wasted.

Unless you guys can't use your license as ID. Then it would make sense.
Again, I'm not sure how things work across the pond...
Quote by james4
I'm not in the UK, so I'm not really aure what you guys are talking about...

like, a seperate card other than a drivers license that can be used as ID (I can also use my health card as ID now, too, but thats not that point..)?

I wouldn't really see a point to that..
Just seems like extra money wasted.

Unless you guys can't use your license as ID. Then it would make sense.
Again, I'm not sure how things work across the pond...

they would take information and biometrics about everyone, put it in a national database and give everyone cards to carry to prove they exist
now extra flamey
Quote by Ackj
How does this work? I'm from the US, and when people at a store ask to see your ID for liquor, you can usually say "oh, i left it in my car, want me to get it?" and they just it slide.

Unless it isnt that kind of ID card, I'm not really sure i understand the whole concept.

Your ID is some form of identification, as in your driver's liscence or your passport, etc.
They are talking about issuing an Identity Card. Basically an ID that only has your personal information on it, used specifically for the purpose of identifying you. There have been talks of doing the same here in the states but it is viewed as a pretty big infringement of our civil liberties.
Quote by rigiddigits
The thing where you said they won't be opt-out for long. That's interesting actually; so maybe the concept of 'opting out' might only apply... if you don't want to apply for anything ever. Hmm.
Yeah exactly. No-one will ever stand up and say "ID cards are now compulsory" but you probably won't be able to get a loan or mortgage without one, and who knows what else. NHS treatment?
Here in the UK we can use passports, driver license and citizen cards for identity and age confirmation. The government thinks that by introducing biometric identity cards we can combat terrorism and illegal immigrants. The only difference this makes is that they will be able to see where we are at any given point when we use the cards as they will be linked to everything eventually. It's basically a tracking device we 'volantarily' use.
Quote by Seryaph
Your ID is some form of identification, as in your driver's liscence or your passport, etc.
They are talking about issuing an Identity Card. Basically an ID that only has your personal information on it, used specifically for the purpose of identifying you. There have been talks of doing the same here in the states but it is viewed as a pretty big infringement of our civil liberties.

It kind of seems like a waste since the majority of people have either a drivers license or passport. I mean, your license already has your name, picture, address, date of birth, eye color, height, and DMV number. The DMV number tracks every vehicle you own, PLUS its linked to your Social Security Number.

When a cop pulls you over on the side of the road and asks for your license, he has your entire record come up from it.

It sounds like fingerprints (which if you really needed to, you could get them altered) are the only thing that's different about this card.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Quote by Ikey
lots of info here for anyone interested http://www.no2id.net/

Not being pedantic or anything, but claiming that a heavily biased site is relevant information seems a bit out of place? because as shown earlier in the thread there are such things as misconceptions.
You will see me in jail before I go along with this crap. Or out of the country. Yeah, think I'll go to Europe. . .. .
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
eh, we've got ID cards here, don't see what the issue is

not everybody has a drivers licence
I've been to lazy and haven't really had the need to get my passport made (in this country at least)

all the ID card has is your photo and your national ID number (which is not horribly revealing, its basically more dateofbirth-codeplaceofbirth-codeforsex and then a couple of other numbers for people born specifically on that day)
the systems been in place for like 40 years still from former yugoslavia and they just kept it

we've got a different number for all tax related stuff
and a separate card for public healthcare
my student ID card is only valid for student related stuff

I'm down on any attempts to put RFID stuff in any of these though
Quote by seljer
eh, we've got ID cards here, don't see what the issue is

not everybody has a drivers licence
I've been to lazy and haven't really had the need to get my passport made (in this country at least)

all the ID card has is your photo and your national ID number (which is not horribly revealing, its basically more dateofbirth-codeplaceofbirth-codeforsex and then a couple of other numbers for people born specifically on that day)
the systems been in place for like 40 years still from former yugoslavia and they just kept it

we've got a different number for all tax related stuff
and a separate card for public healthcare
my student ID card is only valid for student related stuff

That sounds fine. But that isn't what they are gonna do over here. The card has more details and it enables the government to track your movements amongst other things . . . .
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Quote by Diamond Dave
whats wrong with using a drivers license or whatever as ID? can anyone give me more info on what they're actually proposing?

Cause not everybody under 18 (age for booze and cigs) has a drivers licence, passport or official ID (basically those. Passports for adults now are about £70 or so, so they're not cheap)

I'm 16 now and if i'm honest they should just make our college ID cards official ID cards, at least for the time we're at college, just so if we want we can prove our age for drink and stuff (cause obviously, quite a lot of people are over 18 and in college so it's legal for them to smoke and drink).

Personally, I'm neither for nor against it. I'm not a criminal, I can't vote, drink, smoke or drive yet anyway so i've got nothing to hide. But in saying that if i have to have one, then i'm not paying for it. **** that for a game of soldiers. I'll rather sit in Belmarsh or even emigrate before i pay for one.

It's a potentially good idea executed in a piss poor manner.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by bob farrell
That sounds fine. But that isn't what they are gonna do over here. The card has more details and it enables the government to track your movements amongst other things . . . .

screw biometrics, write down eye colour maybe if the photos going to be black and white

keep fingerprints and such only for convicted criminals

and like I said before, screw any RFID stuff (or buy one of those aluminium wallets)

they're about to bring in compulsory electronic toll collection for the highways here. That'll make a pretty easy way to track all vehicles in the country :S
Page 1 of 2