At work today I was told they "no longer require my services".

Not that unusual, but it get's quite unfair if I explain the whole situation. I am a temporary worker, who was taken on under a 6 month contract, and was told I would be re-directing calls from a vacant office when the other staff had moved to a new office.

I got told today that they are moving on Monday, and that the bosses have decided they no longer need me because of this. They have only given me 2 days notice, not enough time to try and look for another job. I've been told by some that I have a case for some kind of tribunal/hearing, but I'm not so sure. What do you guys think?
Are you still under the 6 month contract? If you are, I'd say it's unfair. Otherwise, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
Quote by pawnshopguitars
I am a temporary worker

Answered your own question
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
they can't give you notice if it's a 6-month contract. you're bound to them for the whole term. but don't argue if you want to leave the job, just ask for 2 weeks notice and remind them you were supposed to be on for 6 months
actually take the time to READ the contract. look for ways they might have to wiggle out of this. if you don't see any, contact a solicitor. file a suit for the remaining 4 months salary. be willing to settle for much less, for a quick settlement, if they offer.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by viper_mike
they can't give you notice if it's a 6-month contract. you're bound to them for the whole term. but don't argue if you want to leave the job, just ask for 2 weeks notice and remind them you were supposed to be on for 6 months

Yes they can give you notice. Often it'll say "this is a temporary contract, which will be terminated no later than (date the 6 months are up)" implying that it can be terminated before then.
Yup Defenitly Review The Contract. Whether It Wash Your Temp Agency's Or The Employers' Contract Will Be A Big Deal. If Its From The Agency You Will Get Some Cash. If It Is The Employers Contract They Probably Left A Back Door.
Amps:
Crate V3112
Mesa Mk IVB

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom

Effects:
Too Many to list.
Like others have said, the details are in your contract.

Usually, an employer can fire you for whatever reason they wish so long as they're not violating specific anti-discriminatory laws (race and gender are the only ones that come to mind). However, they may be breaching their contract if the contract guarantees you employment for 6 months. Although I am very skeptical that it does. Usually a 6 month contract means the contract will expire in 6 months. It doesn't mean that they can not terminate the contract before the 6 months is over.
Yeah, I suppose I should read my contract. To be honest, I aren't really that bothered if I don't get anything, and I've just been screwed by the system like so many other people. I guess I'm in a bad mood and trying to get back at the bastards.
Quote by smb
Where were you working?

I really hope the answer to your question is a brothel. I'm bored and I want stories.

Or, because he works with phones.. more likely he is a phone sex soliciter. At least, I'm hoping.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
A company called Cosalt, in Aberdeen. They're nationwide though, nased in Grimsby.

Cosalt

The bosses are truly a bunch of wankers, it has to be said. I'm not the only who thinks this either; no-one I know likes anyone above our office manager.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I really hope the answer to your question is a brothel. I'm bored and I want stories.

thread title "how 'bring your kid to work day' changed my life."
Quote by pawnshopguitars
A company called Cosalt, in Aberdeen. They're nationwide though, nased in Grimsby.

Cosalt

The bosses are truly a bunch of wankers, it has to be said. I'm not the only who thinks this either; no-one I know likes anyone above our office manager.

Shocking.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Thepoison92
You're just disappointed

The least the TS could do is make stuff up.

Come on TS, make up a story about some horny woman accidently calling you, thinking she was calling a 900 number.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill

Come on TS, make up a story about some horny woman accidently calling you, thinking she was calling a 900 number.

If women called those numbers, guys would be flocking to the nearest 900 number hiring point.
Quote by SeveralSpecies

If women called those numbers, guys would be flocking to the nearest 900 number hiring point.

I dunno, I bet there are some butchy Janet Reno looking women who call those numbers. I mean.. on the phone, everyone is hot. I kinda want to get a job with a gay phone sex service. I'd tell them that I look like a mix between Elton John and Slim Shady.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill

Off the topic of the thread but... I had a text message from a polish person once (All in polish so I couldn't understand it)
When I got one of my teachers to translate it for me, she couldn't actually tell me what it meant, she just had to delete it because it was 'too rude for someone of your age'
this is why being in a trade union is beneficial. They can both answer this question and do something about it.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I dunno, I bet there are some butchy Janet Reno looking women who call those numbers. I mean.. on the phone, everyone is hot. I kinda want to get a job with a gay phone sex service. I'd tell them that I look like a mix between Elton John and Slim Shady.

"Ok what are you doing now?"

"I'm sticking the phone in my....."

"Hello?"

*muffled* "**** the phone is still on, this is gonna cost me a fortune!"
Temporary workers are often hired because they do not get any benefits and can be terminated at anytime. I know it sucks, but if they treat employees like that, I doubt working for them would ever be a positive experience.

You did not do anything wrong, so I say move on and focus on finding new (better)employment.
This happened to a friend of mine and he was in a similar situation.
And they paid him out the rest of his contract, mind you he only had 3 weeks left tho.
So i dunno.
I love white guitars!
Quote by SeveralSpecies

"Ok what are you doing now?"

"I'm sticking the phone in my....."

"Hello?"

*muffled* "**** the phone is still on, this is gonna cost me a fortune!"

I would definitely tell women to do that.

"Uh.. Stick the phone in your vag, okay? I'm going to scream really loud into the mouth piece and see if the vibrations bring you to climax."
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
I would definitely tell women to do that.

"Uh.. Stick the phone in your vag, okay? I'm going to scream really loud into the mouth piece and see if the vibrations bring you to climax."

Make sure to hit that low f#
Quote by Billy Picken
Temporary workers are often hired because they do not get any benefits and can be terminated at anytime. I know it sucks, but if they treat employees like that, I doubt working for them would ever be a positive experience.

You did not do anything wrong, so I say move on and focus on finding new (better)employment.

Yeah, seems to make sense. Once I've had a sleep I'm normally good at just forgetting stuff like this, like I said before I'm just pissed off cos it's only just happened.

But this one time, some woman rang me up thinking it was a 900 number. I lol'd.

Although in truth, the company has a sub-company part of it called aberdeen inflatables. I did get phone calls from people asking if they could hire out a bouncy castle they must have felt like utter tards when I told them they sold Lifeboats
Quote by pawnshopguitars

Cosalt

How old are you ?

Not that it matters, because they just fired you anyway, but just a piece of advise: NEVER say anything bad about an employer publicly. Even if it's an ex-employer. If they find out they have immediate grounds to fire you and if future prospective employers find out it can cost you that job as well.

Just a piece of friendly advise. More and more companies, schools, universities etc. are googling their prospective employees, students etc. and you hear all the time about how someone's MySpace profile cost them their job etc. You have to be careful.
Quote by pawnshopguitars
Yeah, seems to make sense. Once I've had a sleep I'm normally good at just forgetting stuff like this, like I said before I'm just pissed off cos it's only just happened.

But this one time, some woman rang me up thinking it was a 900 number. I lol'd.

Although in truth, the company has a sub-company part of it called aberdeen inflatables. I did get phone calls from people asking if they could hire out a bouncy castle they must have felt like utter tards when I told them they sold Lifeboats

Spice this story up by saying they were looking for bouncy castles to have some kind of weird role playing sex. Otherwise, you're going to lose your audience.
Quote by vintage x metal

As luck would have it I used to be a recruitment consultant - it would be in the terms of your contract that you only require 2 days notice due to the nature of the job.

the 6 month thing doesn't mean anything - thats the problem with contract work like that they can just say we don't need you anymore. If you look at the terms of the contract and it says they have to give you 5 days notice (or any more than the 2 days they gave you) you can take them to a tribunal but all you would win is payment for however many days notice they should give you.

So not really worth pursuing
I have awesome hair
Quote by Zeppfreak170
As luck would have it I used to be a recruitment consultant - it would be in the terms of your contract that you only require 2 days notice due to the nature of the job.

the 6 month thing doesn't mean anything - thats the problem with contract work like that they can just say we don't need you anymore. If you look at the terms of the contract and it says they have to give you 5 days notice (or any more than the 2 days they gave you) you can take them to a tribunal but all you would win is payment for however many days notice they should give you.

So not really worth pursuing

Thanks man, made me feel a bit better actually. It's good to know I haven't been screwed unlawfully, just lawfully It's all good though. I've just had a phone call 5 mins ago from my agency saying that they have a position for an immediate start that pays more than this job anyway. Maybe someone likes me

And to jackoffjill, the people buying the bouncy castles bought them as they are planning to have public sex sessions with 60+ year old shemales, whilst wearing pvc suits covered in yoghurt, with the bouncy castle being dragged through a town centre by 4 horses, so that everyone can see it and join in. Then they plan on stopping outside your house, dragging you out, smearing your anus in yoghurt and getting the horses to mount you, while whipping your balls with the ropes that held the horses to the bouncy castle. The ropes are to be covered in yoghurt.

Does that satisfy you?
It satisfies me almost as much as my time spent on phone sex lines.

In other words, lies that lead to quick self gratification are awesome.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
It satisfies me almost as much as my time spent on phone sex lines.

In other words, lies that lead to quick self gratification are awesome.

I'll bear that in mind