I've changed my guitar strings to 10's from 9's after about 5 years playing on 9's.

Problem is, it's impossible. I cant do any string bending at all. Whn I played 9's it was easy and it was comfortable. Now it's not. Is it normal for a guage change to be this difficult at first?

I think I might just switch back to 9's.
Gear

G&L Tribute S-500
Squier Showmaster HSS

Boss GT-8

Marshall MG30DFX

Coming Soon

Whatever my pittances will get me
You might just not have much strength built up. I switched to 10's for a month (got a free set of strings with a pedal) and I had no problems. However, I also regularly play an acoustic that is strung with 11's.
Just out of interest what prompted the change?

A higher gauge means more tension, therefore the strings will be harder to bend.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I've been playing for about 5 months, and switched from .10s to .12s and i'm not seeing that much of a change. but my hands were pretty strong before i started playing guitar.

Albeit I am tuning down into Drop C so that is taking some of the tension away. But i Have played it in standard a few times and it wasnt that bad imo.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
you should also get your guitar set-up for 10's. most guitars come stock with 9's and are set-up for that specific tension.
there are probably 2 things happening:
1) You haven't built up the strength in your fingers to deal with the new tension
2) There is added tension b/c you haven't set-up your guitar for 10's

#2 may not be the issue, but it is worth checking out, in my opinion...
Lyrics: Time wasted between solos.

After a mindboggling 3-hour Steve Vai concert, I had to listen to some brainless guitar playing... so I put on Nevermind...

Jesus Rocks!
I was actually thinking of switching the other way, I play 10's and want to try out 9's but don't fancy some of the guitar rejigging that comes with doing that.

It is that difficult as first, try bending on an accoutic if you have one for a while, after doing that go back to your 10's they will feel like elastic bands
I'm 11- 50. . . I did play ultra lights for awhile. . . . but then I moved to TNT's then finally I decided they suck so I went to DR Medium's. . . It shouldn't bug you that much if you've been playing for awhile. . . My strings rust up sometimes, and I let em stay till they break cuz it'll just be a few weeks and rusted up on the new ones, so oh well.

Besides, you don't want to go back to lights. . . . they sound like butt.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Quote by riffer_raffer
you should also get your guitar set-up for 10's. most guitars come stock with 9's and are set-up for that specific tension.
there are probably 2 things happening:
1) You haven't built up the strength in your fingers to deal with the new tension
2) There is added tension b/c you haven't set-up your guitar for 10's

#2 may not be the issue, but it is worth checking out, in my opinion...

You really want to have it set up. Cuz when i made that big jump in gauge, everything was out of wack.

Nice Sig btw riffer, Jesus doesn't just rock, he shreds!

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Thanks for your replies,

My guitar is the s-500 in the sig and has been set up properly.

The change was prompted by a friend who convinced me that I would get a more mellower sound from my guitar by changing guage. 9's are very bright and sometimes tinny.

I actually have very little wrist strength, which is most probably the biggest problem. Whats the best way of improving your wrist strength? (respectable answers only please )
Gear

G&L Tribute S-500
Squier Showmaster HSS

Boss GT-8

Marshall MG30DFX

Coming Soon

Whatever my pittances will get me
Quote by robfosters
Thanks for your replies,

My guitar is the s-500 in the sig and has been set up properly.

The change was prompted by a friend who convinced me that I would get a more mellower sound from my guitar by changing guage. 9's are very bright and sometimes tinny.

I actually have very little wrist strength, which is most probably the biggest problem. Whats the best way of improving your wrist strength? (respectable answers only please )

LOL RESPECTABLE ANSWER! They have these rubber balls you can squeeze that are pretty good. but i think for guitar its more finger strength as opposed to wrist strength.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Just man up and play!
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)