Hi guys,

I recently got my Engl Screamer 50 combo. Its pretty awesome but I was jsut wondering something about how you turn it off (yep this question is that n00by).

It has two switches a standby switch which can be on or off and a power switch which can be on or off. I know that when you turn it on you switch on the standby, leave it for a minute then switch on the power, but what about when you're turning it off?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated
dear jesus. do the same process, except in reverse.

if you struggle with that logic, here's step by step:

1. turn it on standby.
2. wait 30 seconds, turn the power off.
3. go drink out of the toilet.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
it won't break, it just sucks life out of the tubes.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic

1. turn it on standby.

way to be an asshat
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
Yeah, so to turn it on do this:
1) Standby on
2) Power on
3) Wait a minute
4) Standby off
5) Have fun

To turn off
1) Standby on
2) Wait 5 minutes
3) Power off

The reason that you wait longer when turning it off is because during play, those tubes get surprisingly hot (depending on how loud/how much gain you used).
Think of this as a cooldown after an excersise. You gotta let those tubes cool down a little before shutting the amp off.
Quote by seanbabs
Yeah, so to turn it on do this:
1) Standby on
2) Power on
3) Wait a minute
4) Standby off
5) Have fun

To turn off
1) Standby on
2) Wait 5 minutes
3) Power off

The reason that you wait longer when turning it off is because during play, those tubes get surprisingly hot (depending on how loud/how much gain you used).
Think of this as a cooldown after an excersise. You gotta let those tubes cool down a little before shutting the amp off.

there's no reason to wait 5 minutes. there's no proven science there. 30 seconds is plenty of time. after a minute, they aren't cooling off any more than they would be with the amp off.

and in defense of my "asshat" self: he clearly knew how to turn the amp on the proper way, and it's not exactly difficult to figure out how to turn the damn thing off. i'll be an asshat all i want.

Don't judge me.
Looking at pics of the screamer 50, specific instructions for start up are as follows:

1. Both switches (power and standby) in down position.
2. Power switch to on.
3. Wait at least 30 seconds.
4. Standby switch to up position (off standby).

Shut down:

1. Standby switch to down position (on standby).
2. Power switch to off.

Theres no need to wait when switching the amp off between switching the standby and power switches to off. Just dont do them at the same time and do the standby switch first.
Fender Mexi. Strat w/ Lace Sensor Golds
Schecter C-1 Classic
Breedlove AD-25 SR Plus

GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-20 Gigadelay
EH LPB-1 Boost
Boss TU-2 Tuner

Peavey Valveking 112
with Eminence Private Jack Speaker
I've heard it both ways for shutting it off - even from amp manuals - but i agree they need to cool down a bit. Especially since my amp gets so hot i can barely touch the knobs after an hour or so (which is why i agree, i had a tube crack after shutting it right down in a cold room, even though the manual said nothing about shutdown).
Turn it straight off... - both switches! I normally switch standby first though...

All standby does is prevent full power from going straight into the cold amp - which is irrelevant when turning off...
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Quote by theoreticmusic

1. turn it on standby.

dear jesus, the problem is that it actually doesn't matter. you need to turn it on using standby so that the filaments etc. in the power tubes have time to warm up so that the cathode doesn't get stripped of its electrons. this obviously doesn't matter on turning off.

of course, if you do the process in reverse (which a lot of people do), it does save you having to remember to switch to standby next time you turn it on. but it's not necessary.

if you struggle with that logic, here's a step by step guide:

1) read up on tube-based electronics before slagging of other people for being no more of a moron (in fact, much much less of one) than you are. at least the threadstarter admitted he didn't know the answer, and has been nothing but polite and courteous throughout the thread.

go away.

anyway, to no lolage: as i said, it doesn't matter. don't worry about asking questions about stuff you don't know, a few years ago i knew nothing about tube amps either, and i learnt by asking questions like you have done.

to all the eejits saying that the tubes need time to cool down, could you please explain how LEAVING THE TUBE HEATERS TURNED ON (which is what leaving the standby switch in the "standby" position does) will help them to cool down?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mck_776
Turn it straight off... - both switches! I normally switch standby first though...

All standby does is prevent full power from going straight into the cold amp - which is irrelevant when turning off...

exactly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
dear jesus, the problem is that it actually doesn't matter. you need to turn it on using standby so that the filaments etc. in the power tubes have time to warm up so that the cathode doesn't get stripped of its electrons. this obviously doesn't matter on turning off.

of course, if you do the process in reverse (which a lot of people do), it does save you having to remember to switch to standby next time you turn it on. but it's not necessary.

1) read up on tube-based electronics before slagging of other people for being no more of a moron (in fact, much much less of one) than you are. at least the threadstarter admitted he didn't know the answer, and has been nothing but polite and courteous throughout the thread.

go away.

anyway, to no lolage: as i said, it doesn't matter. don't worry about asking questions about stuff you don't know, a few years ago i knew nothing about tube amps either, and i learnt by asking questions like you have done.

to all the eejits saying that the tubes need time to cool down, could you please explain how LEAVING THE TUBE HEATERS TURNED ON (which is what leaving the standby switch in the "standby" position does) will help them to cool down?

http://www.pureownage.info

To the OP, you should never feel sorry or afraid to ask a nooby question. EVERYONE was there at some point. No one was born with innate understanding of tube amplifiers. It's all in how you ask. You could ask questions in this manner all day and no mature person would be bothered.

Enjoy the new amp!

-J
^ exactly (to the not being afraid of asking questions bit, not the ownage thing, though for that too ).

oh, i tried to edit my original post, but my computer crashed- it shouldn't do any harm to flick to standby before turning off, as it minimises the chance of human error in accidentally turning it on next time without engaging standby- but it's not electrically necessary.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I always love when this question arises. It's always a giant arguement. At least its entertaining.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Dave, is it true that if you leave the amp on standby for a while (10-15 seconds will usually do it, the standby light slowly fades) it will drain some caps? Because I usually do that. If I don't wait, I get a pop when I turn the power off. Wait -> no pop. Now I'm not 100% sure that pop is actually harmful (I think it might wear the speakers down a little - not much tho), but it's annoying at least.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
i heard it was the opposite- if you turn it off immediately, it'll drain the caps (especially if you're strumming the strings while turning off). not sure if that's true, but it does kinda make sense in that caps store charge to release when it's needed, and if you're still playing while the amp is turning off, some of that charge might be released by the caps to give you a few extra milliseconds of playing...

could be wrong though.

as i said, though, turning to standby first has other advantages... just i took issue with that dude's snooty attitude, especially when he was wrong.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by theoreticmusic
it won't break, it just sucks life out of the tubes.

lmao, Epic fail
a dude in a shop once swore blind to me that the amps in his studio were really sore on tubes because the guys coming in to record with them didn't switch to standby before turning off. i didn't know as much about tube amps as i do now (i still don't know much, lol, just i'm not completely clueless any more), but even then i was kinda like o_O
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

go away.

i'm owned.

Don't judge me.
Honestly I don't even know if that's what made my tube crack, but now I've gotten lazy and comfortable again, and just hit standy and then off, like a millisecond between each other... btw this is probably the dumbest arguement ever, next to the arguement of whether to hold in the clutch or put it in neutral at a stoplight...
Quote by theoreticmusic
i'm owned.

hey, at least you admitted it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My Deluxe 'Verb only works when power and standby are both on.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
My Deluxe 'Verb only works when power and standby are both on.

uhhhhhhhhhhh..?
My Gear:
Jackson RR3 + Bill Lawrence L500XL

Sennheiser EW500 Wireless
T-bone EWS wireless
IbanezTS9
MXR 6Band EQ
Ibanez WD7
Decimator

Peavey VK100
Epiphone ValveJunior
Kustom Quad100DFX 2x12
MicroCube!
Marshall 1960A 4 x 12
Quote by ianguitargod
uhhhhhhhhhhh..?

IDK, every one I used had to be turned on, both switches, and then it would turn on.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by SZ320man
Honestly I don't even know if that's what made my tube crack, but now I've gotten lazy and comfortable again, and just hit standy and then off, like a millisecond between each other... btw this is probably the dumbest arguement ever, next to the arguement of whether to hold in the clutch or put it in neutral at a stoplight...

It's not that dumb of an arguement if you owned a 7-bolt DSM or one of the other cars that ended up with crankwalk due to excessive wear on the thrust bearings...