So I made a thread about a week ago about bugera amps. I was looking at them but they've caused nothing but problems around here (talked to a former owner who went through 3 of the 6260 combos).

I decided to sell my GT-8 and put the cash towards an amp I know is solid as a rock: the 6505. I absolutely love the sound but I can't pick it up until tomorrow night since I lack a car. It's paid for and waiting though.

What do I need to know about owning a tube amp like this? I heard somewhere that they have a fixed bias which sounds convenient. What else do I need to know about care and maintenance? Thanks for the help guys, I really want this amp to last.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
dont drop it. or your screwed..

i just got my 6505 not to long ago, i havn't dropped it yet(knock on wood) but once you look at it you will understand why you should make sure you have a hold of it at all times. how much did you get yours for? i got mine for 750 used.

but yea if anyone has a 6505+ can you tell me your settings? im just trying to really dial in my amp for what i want. but hearing some other peoples setting would probably help me out with mine..
Unfortunately it cost me quit a bit. $1200.

The way I look at it, I've got a warranty if something does go wrong and at least some assurance as to how it was treated.

Also, the used amp market around here sucks. It's all practice amps and shitty SS stacks. Last time I saw a 6505 it sold before I could call (i.e. within an hour of the posting) so I just decided to spend a little extra and get a sure thing.

EDIT: Also, when I'm turning it on, what's the process for switching the power and standby? Do I go standby, wait a minute, then power? For turning it off, what do I do? The salesman did it for me and I forgot to ask.

Sorry for the noob questions, this is my first tube amp (besides my EVJ) and I don't want to **** it up. Thanks.
Rig

Last edited by x_themetalfan_x at Sep 25, 2008,
^ Nothing like the feeling of brand new gear with a warrenty, and if used stuff is unavalable then really thats the only option. I always like the idea of being the only owner of an amp, just suits me well to know that I have 5 years for this amp to fail before Peavey will no longer stand behind it. Really I think its one of the best warrenties around. Although I doubt you ever need it still makes you feel all warm and tinggly inside. Hope you like your new amp, I have the Triple XXX 212 combo I bought new and I love it, high end Peavey amps rock and will hold thier own with the best amps around costing 2 and three 3 as much.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Yeah, I was looking at a XXX but they didn't have the combo in.

Any other words of advice?
Rig

Quote by x_themetalfan_x
Yeah, I was looking at a XXX but they didn't have the combo in.

Any other words of advice?

I bought the 6505 combo new in July. It's been retubed with Black Sable 6L6GCs and JJ pre's from Eurotubes and I replaced the stock Sheffields with custom V12 Lengends. The amp absolutely slays. The combo is biased warmer than the heads are and it shows in it's warmer tone. I prefer the combo actually. You made a wise purchase. The Bugera is nice, but in the end it isn't a true replacement for the real thing and you'll know why as soon as you get it home and fire it up. You will be very surpirsed at the cleans of the combo also. Please check back here after you get home and tell us what you think. Congrats on your NAD.
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at Sep 25, 2008,
I definitely won't be able to afford a speaker or tube change for a while. Thanks for the advice though, this thing is great. \m/
Rig

I'm really considering buying a 6505 combo myself.

Let me know how you like it; and congrats man.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Quote by Johnbryant
high end Peavey amps rock and will hold thier own with the best amps around costing 2 and three 3 as much.

not just high end peavey amps. i love my classic 30 but id definitely be looking into the 6505 myself if i had more moneys/space.
I have a 5150 212 Combo and it sounds amazing.

Only thing is that the volume seems to be lacking... it's quite odd seeing how it's 60 W of pure tube and it is supposedly louder than your average 60W tube amp... do you think there could be a problem?

How loud does yours get? I have to have the post cranked up to 7 to play over a drummer on the lead channel and on the rhythm cleans it's like 8... and it's still not that loud =/
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Pretty much what the first poster said.

DONT DROP IT!

other than that..

...don't use it as an oven?
Quote by ClementWave
Pretty much what the first poster said.

DONT DROP IT!

other than that..

...don't use it as an oven?

Man I cook bacon on my Orange and that's the ****ing way I likes it!

With your standby switch, turn it onto standby for 1-2 minutes, then on with face-melting. When you turn it of, put it on standby, count slowly to 10 and then turn it off, that's what I do with my valve amp.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
on=power switch>wait 30 seconds>standby switch

off=flick both switches. no need to wait, or even do it in a particular order, as long as both switches are in the right position.

standby just heats the tubes up, why would you need that when turning off?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

off=flick both switches. no need to wait, or even do it in a particular order, as long as both switches are in the right position.

Your way is the exact way the Peavey rep told me to do it.
Quote by Divided_Eye
not just high end peavey amps. i love my classic 30 but id definitely be looking into the 6505 myself if i had more moneys/space.

Yeah the C30 is definitly a working mans amp, very dependable, good overall tone for blues-alternitive, small and compact, and really its to is hard to beat for the money/quailty.
TS enjoy your new amp, you didn't find any triple XXX combos because peavey quit making the combos for the Triple XXX, I know its a complete rip, who wants to drag around a huge half stack every where you go?? Not me, I guess there must not have been much of market for the combos, or peavey just faised themt out with the introduction of the JSX which is a Triple xxx with some extra features. The 6505 is awesome for what it is enjoy.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
The Peavey Triple X is an awesome amp. I want that combo so freakin' bad. I keep watching for a used mint one.
Is it really true that the JSX covers the XXX tone plus some?
The Triple X tone is just so badass. It records and plays live killer too.
Quote by TheEsupremacy

Is it really true that the JSX covers the XXX tone plus some?

Yes and no, the crunch channel on the JSX is where Peavey and Satriani spent most of ther time, they really lowered the gain on that channel making it much more user friendly for classic rock and lighter stuff. The gain amount on the JSX on the crunch channel at full blast is about where the Triple XXX is at half-little over half. So if your really wanting heavly overdriven marshall type tone, the Triple XXX is a better option, if you like the versaltilty and need a more controlable mid gain channel the the JSX is a better choice. Both are great amps and with the Ultra channel ethier is more than capable of putting out some serious gain. Also the JSX has some added features to help shape your tone, this really is nice for lead work and or dialing in that perfect tone, the Triple just a little harder to work with, but IMO is a slightly better rythm amp, with the JSX edging out the Triple in the lead department. Both are great amps capable of nearly any tone under the sun if you know how to set them up.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
Yes and no, the crunch channel on the JSX is where Peavey and Satriani spent most of ther time, they really lowered the gain on that channel making it much more user friendly for classic rock and lighter stuff. The gain amount on the JSX on the crunch channel at full blast is about where the Triple XXX is at half-little over half. So if your really wanting heavly overdriven marshall type tone, the Triple XXX is a better option, if you like the versaltilty and need a more controlable mid gain channel the the JSX is a better choice. Both are great amps and with the Ultra channel ethier is more than capable of putting out some serious gain. Also the JSX has some added features to help shape your tone, this really is nice for lead work and or dialing in that perfect tone, the Triple just a little harder to work with, but IMO is a slightly better rythm amp, with the JSX edging out the Triple in the lead department. Both are great amps capable of nearly any tone under the sun if you know how to set them up.

GaSn for a Triple X now really bad. Thank you so very much for making it worse.
Thank you for the info man, I appreciate it.
Quote by brandonr116
dont drop it. or your screwed..

i just got my 6505 not to long ago, i havn't dropped it yet(knock on wood) but once you look at it you will understand why you should make sure you have a hold of it at all times. how much did you get yours for? i got mine for 750 used.

but yea if anyone has a 6505+ can you tell me your settings? im just trying to really dial in my amp for what i want. but hearing some other peoples setting would probably help me out with mine..

easy way to do settings is to put it at the volme you normally play at. then warm up the tubes for like 20 minutes? then put everything at 5 and move up or down from there. more gain? less mids? etc..
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
So I had my first band practice with the new amp. I love the sound of the lead channel. With another guitarist (through a JSX half stack, yeah it's a little overpowering ) I've got the pre at 6 and the post up around 7 or 8. EQ is bass 7.5, mid 3.5, high 6.5 and it's getting me a perfect death metal rhythm tone. Lots of growl and bite, pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

One thing has me concerned though. In the car, I heard a rattling coming from the amp. Any idea as to what it could be? I'm calling the service department at axe on monday to make sure it's okay. Sound quality doesn't seem to be affected. It hasn't been dropped or anything. The rattling sort of sounds like a spring (reverb?).

The point is I love it and I hope it lasts me forever (or until I have a need for a stack).
Rig

Last edited by x_themetalfan_x at Sep 27, 2008,
Quote by Lemoninfluence

exactly what i do.
damn i was gonna buy a 5150 combo, but i found this mesa and took the offer i couldnt refuse. it was like i had to buy it because the deal was good. you think i can trade it for a 5150?
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Lemoninfluence

because drastic temp changes kill tubes. when you're playing through the tubes, they get even hotter, so when you put it in standby, they cool down a bit (relatively), thus making the change in temperature less drastic, giving you more tube life
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
because drastic temp changes kill tubes. when you're playing through the tubes, they get even hotter, so when you put it in standby, they cool down a bit (relatively), thus making the change in temperature less drastic, giving you more tube life

how much more tube life can you get? it's definitely not worth the trouble of waiting a couple of minutes just to turn off the amp
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by kayman121

you're right, drastic temp changes do kill tubes.

but normal operating temp to room temp isn't drastic. and even if it was (say you were gigging in the middle of the arctic), it wouldn't be a fast enough change to cause any significant damage.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
verb spring. And will the peavey 5150/6505 do smooth eric johnson type tones?
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Both my guitarists bought 6505s and our first prac with them was amazing. They didn't even set up a tone, just picked a preset and it was perfect. They had them on 1/1.5 and it was over powering the drums.