So my brother got this Yamaha DTXplorer electric drumset along with a 15" Laney PA speaker today on his 15:th birthday.

What I wonder now is if it's somehow possible to plug in the drumset in the computer so you can play along to your favourite songs with the drums while having headphones on.

Help would really be appreaciated.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
its says it has "stereo input for CD play along" so i dont see why u cant plug it into the mic jack on ur sound card
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
How does the electric set work ? Does it plug into an amp or go directly into the PA for amplification ?

As long as you've got some kind of sound signal to send to an amplifier then it can go into the computer. The only thing I'm not clear on is what part of the electric kit processes the information from the drums and converts it into "sound". If it's a special amplifier that's made just for the kit then see if it's got a line-out jack. If it plugs directly into the PA then you can plug it into the line-in jack on your computer's sound card (though you'll probably need a small converter/adapter to go from a 1/4" stereo jack to a 1/8" ... you can get those at Radio Shack).
Quote by G!!
I've done this, it works, but make sure it's the headphone jack.

What? the headphone is an output...the mic is the input..u may fry something if try to put a single into the drum kit...smoke

Well, we have a normal instrument cable from the electric drumset that goes into the PA, and the PA speaker's panel looks like this:

And this is (kinda) how the thing on the drumset looks like:

I don't remember which jack we used the PA in on the drumset thing, but it was the line in on the PA, and that worked.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Sep 25, 2008,
Quote by Hultan
Well, we have a normal instrument cable from the electric drumset that goes into the PA, and the PA speaker's panel looks like this:

then ull need a converter that goes from 1/4 to 1/8 like mentioned before...they REALLY cheap...couple bucks

Run a cable from your PA's "external speaker" to your computer's line-in jack on the sound card. But when you do this keep the PA volume very low and gradually turn it up so you don't hurt the sound card by sending it too strong a signal (shouldn't happen but better safe than sorry).

The reason I'm suggesting this is because I'm fairly certain that the signal coming from the drum set will be very weak. So you want the PA to amplify it before sending it through teh line-in.
Run an out cable from the Green jack (use a stereo 1/8" cable) to the mix in port on the drum module
plug in some phones or the speaker and jam out.

Quote by garett
Run a cable from your PA's "external speaker" to your computer's line-in jack on the sound card.

NO NO NO
not a good idea at all IMO
Its made for a speaker, not a sound card. Any volume risks damage to your sound card and amp.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 25, 2008,
Quote by garett
Run a cable from your PA's "external speaker" to your computer's line-in jack on the sound card. But when you do this keep the PA volume very low and gradually turn it up so you don't hurt the sound card by sending it too strong a signal (shouldn't happen but better safe than sorry).

WRONG...just skip the PA all together and go straight to the sound card...u just want the few watts from the set going to the card...anymore and ur cards toast

Quote by moody07747
swap out the module for a Roland one and run the output of the computer card to the "mix in" jack so all audio goes to the main outs and headphone out.

Or you could get a small mixer like a Yamaha MG or Tapco and run both sources to that and monitor using headphones with that.

your making this too complicated. just one small adapter and ur set. drum kit to line in jack, headphones from the line out/ headphone jack

Quote by Bair
WRONG...just skip the PA all together and go straight to the sound card...u just want the few watts from the set going to the card...anymore and ur cards toast

Yeah, this feels more right. I don't know much about these things but I could imagine that the PA wouldn't have to do with anything.

So what you mean is that I should go straight from the drum's module to the computer? Which jack input should I use on the module (see pic of the module above)?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Bair
your making this too complicated. just one small adapter and ur set. drum kit to line in jack, headphones from the line out/ headphone jack

I noticed he had a mix in jack check my edit

all he should have to do is run an out from the sound card to the mix in port on the module and it will mix the two so he can monitor from his amp or headphones plugged into the module.

I do this all the time on my Roland TD6V module.
Quote by Hultan
Yeah, this feels more right. I don't know much about these things but I could imagine that the PA wouldn't have to do with anything.

So what you mean is that I should go straight from the drum's module to the computer? Which jack input should I use on the module (see pic of the module above)?

im guessing the Mono line in the output section

Okay, I think I know how to do this now (my brother will LOVe this). Thanks for all the help, guys, you guys are great!

And to you guys who was either a bit complicated about stuffs or wrong, I appreaciate your efforts too. Keep it up!
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Hooray! were all special lol

Next time, go to Riffs and Recordings (we also do live advice)...we do this stuff all the time.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Next time, go to Riffs and Recordings (we also do live advice)...we do this stuff all the time.

next time dont care...he needed help...get a life.