I have a Samick Avion Av-7 (les paul knock off) and I put new strings on last week. They've been fine up until a moment ago. I was playing on the high e (pitch not altitude) I bent the string, and it snapped. IT didnt snap near the tuners, but where it is on the bridge. I'm looking for anything that may be jutting out to cause it to break, and I think i've found it. However, when this happened the B string went out of tune, and this is my main concern. So, should I take it to a pro, or just fix it myself?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
I found the sharpspot that snapped the E, how should I fix this? Also, my b's tuning went down to an F...
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
I don't see what the big problem is? Just restring the guitar and tune it up.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I was just worried about my B string untuning itself... Ive only had these strings on for a week, theyre brand new...
title made me laugh
Now do you believe in rock and roll?

Can music save your mortal soul?
Ernie Ball Super Slinky's, which are 9 gauge strings.T he high e has a sharp spot near the bridge where it snapped, I just need to know how to file it down. The B detuning itself was my main concern...
Quote by justnmcknz
Ernie Ball Super Slinky's, which are 9 gauge strings.T he high e has a sharp spot near the bridge where it snapped, I just need to know how to file it down. The B detuning itself was my main concern...

There are files specifically for this sort of thing at Home Depot and the like. Go easy though, it won't take much to smooth it out. Consider moving up to 10s, as they'll be less likely to snap also. I have no idea what's up with the B string, sorry.
EDIT:
Quote by xIckyThumpx
title made me laugh

*looks again*
I had 10's on there for a while, but my instructor said that unless I was going to play slide that their was no reason for me to go up a gauge. He said that I could execute my bends better with 9's, I couldnt really tell much of a difference though...
The B's detuning was problem from a loss of tension, have you ever noticed it's impossible to keep other stings in tune when strings start coming off the neck. The tension that all the strings put on the neck help to keep each other in tune, change the tension change the tune. But i'm with necro, restring and retune, we all break strings. I suppose you could always take a really fine file if you really think that's what caused it, but i mean your using 9's, your gonna be snapping em off left and right with guages that small, get used to it or change gauges
Quote by xIckyThumpx
title made me laugh

I guess spending time in The Pit is starting to affect my brain...
Thanks for all the replies. I'll just go back to using 10's, and if the E continues to snap I'll have it filed..
Quote by fade177
The B's detuning was problem from a loss of tension, have you ever noticed it's impossible to keep other stings in tune when strings start coming off the neck. The tension that all the strings put on the neck help to keep each other in tune, change the tension change the tune. But i'm with necro, restring and retune, we all break strings. I suppose you could always take a really fine file if you really think that's what caused it, but i mean your using 9's, your gonna be snapping em off left and right with guages that small, get used to it or change gauges

+1

Restring, file down that burr to prevent future breakage of the same sorts.

Tension is messed up when you bring a string, causing other strings to go out of tune. A more apparent example would be on a FR trem where if one string breaks the others go down to hell.
Crisis, crisis. See an expert IMMEDIATELY
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R

Quote by justnmcknz
Thanks for all the replies. I'll just go back to using 10's, and if the E continues to snap I'll have it filed..

Sounds good. Actually, you should probably go ahead and file it down now just to be safe. If you know it's there, why wait to take care of it? Also keep in mind your strings will hold pitch a little better if they're thicker, and you'll get a slightly fuller tone (not really noticeable unless you jump at least 2 gauges though). I personally can't use 9s, but I'm used to heavy gauges anyway thanks to my acoustic. Honestly, string gauge is personal preference, just like string brand. Your teacher shouldn't be telling you what gauge to use imo.
yeah, thats just how tune-omatics are, if theres a difference in tension then it goes out.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff