I really getting angry. Ive been trying to sweep pick for ages and can't seem to nail it. Does any one have any tips of where the hell i should start and also any easy-ish tracks to learn sweep picking techniques. Cheers you guys
Start really slow, with just one pattern.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

it aint an easy track but for some reason i can seem to sweep origins 'the aftermath' pretty well.

i know what u mean bout sweepin, its a bitch to get down, look that tab up and see how it does. its on rivers of gore.com

(death metal btw)
Gear:
Jackson DK2 Trans Black

Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960AV
take it slow and use a metronome............it sounds crappy and its long and boring but it works. Do a simple pattern like

e|---------------------------12h15p12-----------------------------|
B|-----------------------12---------------12-------------------------|
G|------------------13------------------------13---------------------|
D|--------------14---------------------------------14----------------|
A|----------14------------------------------------------14-----------|
E|--12h15--------------------------------------------------15p12--|

the hard thing about sweeping is getting your left and right hand in synchronisation and muting out the other strings keeping it clean.

Just practice this basic pattern until you get the technique down.

Edit: This is a 6 string pattern, but you should start basic with 3 or 4 strings to start off.
I hear ya dude...I can do 3-4 strings no problem, but throw another string in there, and I get completely stuck.

And don't feel bad, I been practicing the 5 and 6 string sweeps for about 3 years and I still cant do 'em.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
i can't do it either. i don't play metal though so it's not a big deal
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Quote by clement1
take it slow and use a metronome............it sounds crappy and its long and boring but it works. Do a simple pattern like

the hard thing about sweeping is getting your left and right hand in synchronisation and muting out the other strings keeping it clean.

Edit: This is a 6 string pattern, but you should start basic with 3 or 4 strings to start off.

Basically this - don't use distortion though. If you play clean it allows you to see exactly where you are making your mistakes. Then after you've mastered it crank it up
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Slow down, practice with a metronome and break the sweep into three note sections to find where you flub. . . there that's all. later
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
-----------------8h12p8----------------------------
-------------10-----------10------------------------
----------9--------------------9----------------------
------10-------------------------10-----------------
--12---------------------------------12-------------
-------------------------------------------------------

This is the pattern ive been practicing for awhile and it has helped me immensly in my sweeping. It still sounds a little sloppy but it starting to sound right and ive been going at it for maybe 6 mths. But try this one and try it in different places on the neck. U'll get it.

Cheers!

Go Leafs Go!!

Next season anyway
Step one is to relax. The more you let it frustrate you the harder it's going to seem.

There's a lot of good suggestions posted above. The only things I would add is start out slow. Get a metronome on somthing like 50bpm (yes, that slow). It's more important starting out to be accurate rather then fast. Speed is a byproduct of steady, accurate practice. Also, do it regularly. It takes 28 repetitions of a motion for your brain to make it a habit.

As for songs, try House of the Rising Sun by The Animals. It's essentially a slow 5 chord progression played in all sweeps.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by nikhil101
Basically this - don't use distortion though. If you play clean it allows you to see exactly where you are making your mistakes. Then after you've mastered it crank it up

Actually, I have something to add to this. Practicing on the clean channel allows you to hear mistakes, but when you can do it clean, there are also things to work on with distortion. With any gain, you'll probably notice that the strings aren't being muted correctly, and you'll need to work on correcting that as well.
Another thing, don't start with 6 string sweeps. . . unless you want to fail, here. www.insaneguitar.com/mc/sweeping.html This guy starts with 3 strings, then 4 then 5 then the beast. . . so I recommend this. . . It's how I learned.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.

Quote by clement1

Muting out the other strings?? I never knew you were supposed to do that. How is that supposed to be done? Are you supposed to mute it with your palm or left hand??
He means don't let the notes bleed together, sound at the same time. . . that type thing. You are supposed to arpeggiate when playing sweeps, not fret a chord and strum it if you get my drift. You are supposed to remove your fretting hands finger from the note after it has sounded. I'm telling you though, don't even bother trying to start with 5-6 string sweeps, they are a beast and you'll just get discouraged.
Quote by paranoid joker

Thanks everyone thats been really helpful. I will start practicing asap.