so ug, i will probably be getting a custom shop guitar, so i need some help from the ug experts i have an idea more or less but im not an expert like some guys here so i fu guys could give me some recomendations .

well, i play ( or try to) guns and roses, some metallica, van halen(trying to ) greenday, soda stereo, ozzy osbourne and many similar bands to those.

my idea was:

neck throught, 25,5", basswood or mahogany body, maple/maple neck 24 frets, duncan jb jazz, volume tone 3 way toggle, not sure on OFR or TOM, dont knwo what tuners, dont know what type of nut, 42mm nut width, and im totally undecided with the shape/ finish and all that, cause its custom so ill probably wont be selling it so i want something cool but that ill always like, not a temporary GAS
i say go for the Iceman shape
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
So you're jumping right from a Squier to a custom shop, and you have a Marshall mg10cd?

I'd say your money is better spent elsewhere for now.
You shall listen to Kamelot.
Theres more stuff then that you need to consider for a guitar. You need to give them every bit of information you can possibly think of. Alot of orders get messed up because of stuff like that.

Just my .02.
Quote by adrianjunger
So you're jumping right from a Squier to a custom shop, and you have a Marshall mg10cd?

I'd say your money is better spent elsewhere for now.

He'll be getting a vox ad, so it's not all that bad.

Your choice of pickups looks good, I'd go with a mahogany body for the the bands you listed. Also, I would rather avoid a neck through model, as the sound will be very trebly with a maple neck through. Also, it is bad for the guitars attack and does not enhance the sustain (at least in my experience). I'd go with a set neck and a shorter scale for the bands you listed.

EDIT: Think twice before you order a custom guitar. Most people are perfectly happy with 'normal' models, I'd first try out MANY guitars before deciding whether you need a custom axe.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 25, 2008,
yup thats what i mean, if u guys could help me cause im probably forgetting all those little things, and if any u know something that would be more usefull(ie diferrent wood).

and im already having lessons so...
Last edited by nithin909 at Sep 25, 2008,
Go halfsises on the amp, forget a custom shop, you really don't need one.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
ichimaru, ur right but my the amp will be a gift from my granddad and i dont wanna discuss and thiis guitar i think my mom will probably be paying most of it and she wsants me to get a GUITAR so theres nothing i can do.

quailman, i was gonna get a jackson dk2m or something like that but i found out that this local luthier did very good guitars for about the same money and its CUSTOM so i said yes right away oh, and whats the prob with the scale, what difference does it have. i thought it was only the feel ?

ok so for now its going to be:

set neck, 25,5", mahogany body, maple/ebony neck 24 frets, duncan jb/jazz, volume tone 3 way toggle, not sure on OFR or TOM, dont know what tuners, dont know what type of nut, 42mm nut width, and im totally undecided with the shape/ finish and all that, cause its custom so ill probably wont be selling it so i want something cool but that ill always like, not a temporary GAS

any suggestions on bridge and nut(if its not fr cause if it is itl be locking duhhlol)
If you're paying half or whatever, I'd suggest getting a real nice guitar, but not a custom shop. By the time the guitars done being built, you'll probably want something completely different. I have the chance to do the same thing, but I refuse to do it because I know I might want something completely different by the time it gets done.
thats exactly why i im not decided on the looks of it, and the other part ill probably still be ok with it cause if it is good for the things i play why wouldnt i like it, who would want something thats no use for waht they play?
A long scale will result in a treblier sound, a short scale provides more 'warmth'. I find it makes quite a difference. Typical guitars with a short scale (24 3/4) are Gibson LP, SG, ES and whatnot. I just thought I'd mention it because you listed G'n'R, Green Day and Ozzy and they use short scale guitar usuallly.
But if you prefer the feel, go with the 25.5 scale, that's way more important. And it's not like you can't play G'n'R with a long scale.
no guess il get a shorter scale thinking bout it ur right, i didnt say that it felt better i said that i thought the only difference was the feel
Quote by nithin909
thats exactly why i im not decided on the looks of it, and the other part ill probably still be ok with it cause if it is good for the things i play why wouldnt i like it, who would want something thats no use for waht they play?

Because peoples taste change. I'm sure everybody has/had something they really liked, but kind of grew out of it. Like, I use to love V necks, now I can't stand them. Stuff like that is what makes the guitar, and if you change what you like at some point, you may not enjoy playing it so much. However, if you do get a custom shop, I suggest not putting your name, initials ect. on it, incase theres ever a time it need to be sold. JMO.
The word "Custom Shop" gets thrown around a lot. Where are you going? Gibson, Fender or another company or are you just going to someone who builds guitars?

If you go with a legit place they'll help you a lot. I have bought guitars from Gibson and Fender's CS and they're very helpful but if you're new you may be better off buying off the rack.

The main reason I went to Fender last time was because I wanted a sparkle strat with a neck copied off a 56 Strat (before they reissued the 56) and a matching headstock.

If I wasn't looking for a certain neck I could have bought at a store and been happy and had I not played a 56 Strat I wouldn't have even known that neck existed.

If you sell a non big name CS guitar you'll loose a bundle so keep that in mind. Play as many as you can and make a lot of like/dislike notes.
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Sep 25, 2008,
its from a luthier from my home town, tought people from all over the country use his guitars, its called Batan.

senorsmiley, im not so picky about stuff, i ussually play my guitar, my friends guitars, my teachers guitars, and i dont fell really a major diferrence in the neck for example. as long as its not square or something im good with it
are you going to use a floating trem if you have one?
do you plan on changing tunings a lot?
i dont really know cause my actual guitar doesnt have, y enver played one that has, my teacher`s has but it didnt have the wammy. i dont really know if id use it, thats why i ask ug if those bands and similar bands use it alot or not.
So, you don't know different necks and everything? You know, every type of neck feels pretty different from one another. You need to try out alot of different stuff before you do anything.
yeah of course, the guy that makes them has many different guitars there so ill be able to try diferrent ones with differnet features and see what y prefer
How old are you? Just wondering.
Something tells me you'll regret getting something you hardly know anything about, no offense. But you should realize that all body/neck/fretboard woods sound different, incuding different shapes do change tone, every neck makes a huge difference, the fret wiring used, what the fret wirings made of, how many pieces the neck is ect. There are literally tons of different woods used for guitars, as well as tons of different hardware used.
i know its pretty obvious what ur sayiing but its not a 10.000 dollar guitar, i was gonna buy "X" guitar and found out that for the same money i could get a CS so i went with that
String through will result in a higher tension and also a 'twangier' sound, and it'll enhance sustain. But honestly, it's not a big deal. I'd go with the bridge that feels most comfortable for your picking hand.
ok ill try as a few an see whats more comfortable, so far he have:

set neck, 24,3/4"
mahogany body with flamed maple top
maple/ebony neck 24 frets
duncan jb/jazz,
olume tone 3 way toggle
tune o matic (any specific recomendations?)
42mm nut width

and....

i think im decided with the design(of course its ormsby, the best out there)
http://www.ormsbyguitars.com/galleries/gallerypics/ross.html
Last edited by nithin909 at Sep 26, 2008,