help! if i worry more about what im playing, i go flat. if i worry about singing, if fudge up the guitar part, or the rhythem.....HELP!
What are you trying to play while you're singing?
Do you have a lot of experience playing and singing?

If you don't have that much experience playing and singing, start learning easy songs to sing along to, then move up to songs with strange rhythms, then move up to riffs. Make sure you don't rush yourself.

If you're already experienced with that sort of thing, just practice the guitar until you can play it without paying too much attention.

(Someone might be by with better/easier advice. This is just what I do/did.)
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by rafarquhar
What are you trying to play while you're singing?
Do you have a lot of experience playing and singing?

If you don't have that much experience playing and singing, start learning easy songs to sing along to, then move up to songs with strange rhythms, then move up to riffs. Make sure you don't rush yourself.

If you're already experienced with that sort of thing, just practice the guitar until you can play it without paying too much attention.

(Someone might be by with better/easier advice. This is just what I do/did.)

well im experienced doing each....by themselves and the song im trying out right now is monkey wrench by foo fighters
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/music_theory/a_guide_to_singing_and_playing_at_the_same_time.html

thats not the column I was thinking of, but after a quick skim over it, it seems decent..

It's pretty much a matter of getting comfortable with the rythym of the song, then once you're comfortable with that, adding the lyrics..
Thats all it really is for me, anyway..
Playing is one thing, singing is another thing, doing both together is something else entirely. It's like learning another discipline rather than simply putting two disciplines together.
Start with easy stuff, same as you would if you were just starting to learn how to play or sing and gradualy start doing harder and harder stuff, eventualy it will become second nature to you.
It just takes time.
is there many bands, where the singer is lead guitarist? like, they actually play awesome lead parts and sing? any chance someone could alert me of a few so i could check them out?
i can play moderate difficulty stuff, but was wanting to advance onto more difficult stuff.
You'll probably hear a lot of "opeth", but truth is a lot of metal bands have pretty complicated riffs. Heck, even The Living End is difficult for a lot of people!

The best advice I can possible give, is to know you parts. Know it so well you can actually play with your eyes closed, with perfect rhythm. I find people with drumming experience are generally pretty good, as they are used to holding 2 seperate rhythms at once.
Quote by LawnChair
You'll probably hear a lot of "opeth", but truth is a lot of metal bands have pretty complicated riffs. Heck, even The Living End is difficult for a lot of people!

The best advice I can possible give, is to know you parts. Know it so well you can actually play with your eyes closed, with perfect rhythm. I find people with drumming experience are generally pretty good, as they are used to holding 2 seperate rhythms at once.

what would you call songs like "Wake Up" or "Roll On" from the living end in difficulty?
i can play those, and was wondering...
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
is there many bands, where the singer is lead guitarist? like, they actually play awesome lead parts and sing? any chance someone could alert me of a few so i could check them out?
i can play moderate difficulty stuff, but was wanting to advance onto more difficult stuff.

James Hetfield is rythem of course but he plays pritty difficult stuff while singing. Im amazed by this skill as I cant sing and play at all. Except for america **** yeah which is a joke song by the guy who made south park. .
it's kinda like playing piano, with left hand and right hand playing different things, just practice slowly, then speed up, i did this and it works
Quote by AwesomeDrummer

Both Trivium and Children Of Bodom come to mind.
Practice practice practice and practice more!!!

Thats all i'll say!!
I was like you too... But then i practiced my ass off n i finally go it! I can now sing many acoustic songs while playing the guitar. It becomes really easy soon.

One thing that'll help is like anchoring certain key words with a certain chord change.
Like you sing "love" when you change from an Amin to a Cmaj chord or something like that... They'll help you keep your singing in time with the guitar playing.

But then again all it comes down to is practicing!!

So i'll say it again.
Practice practice and practice more and you'll eventually get it pretty soon!!!
Just don't get disheartened n give up soon. It feels tough in the beginning but if you just stick with it, you'll be flying in no time!!!
It's just practice. And knowing your guitar part to PERFECTION. Then working out how the melody fits into it and making them flow around each other. It should make sense AND flow well.

Just practice.

I've been able to do it since I started but I know how many people have trouble with it af_the_fragile has some great advice
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."