SO im building a guitar later this year, and im planinng on installing a OFR, whihc is going to require a locking nut.

my question is will locking tuners cause any hassles?

BTW the body and neck will be coming from warmoth

thses are the tuners i plan to use
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Mini_Locking_Rotomatics_6-in-line.html
Quote by Guitar Skater
your guitar just MAY have ideal tuning stability

that is more ore les what im hoping for, but i just wanna make sure it will work
If you install a locking nut, the locking tuners would be useless.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by Here_is_no_why
If you install a locking nut, the locking tuners would be useless.

This. The locking nut stops all string movement on the headstock, it locks the strings in place.
aight, is there any really problem with the locking tuners though?
just since the ones i posted are, to my knowledge, quite good, and they are available in gold which is what im after aesthetically

telEDIT: Im outta here, got another class to go to, any more advice would be appreciated
Last edited by telemetal at Sep 25, 2008,
They cost more for a function you won't be using. If you feel like wasting an extra $15, go for it.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by telemetal
aight, is there any really problem with the locking tuners though?
just since the ones i posted are, to my knowledge, quite good, and they are available in gold which is what im after aesthetically

No, there's no problem with them. But their purpose to lock is essentially useless.
May as well go for cheaper non locking tuners, or spend the same amount on non locking tuners with a better gear ratio.
no pproblem with those, grover mini's are great tuners, but the locking part is useless with a floyd, the locking nut eliminates the need. you can probably get roto mini's in gold for a few bucks cheaper, sans the lock.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
remember that if you go to unlock the nut your strings come untuned instantly because when you knock around your guitar or rest the headstock and move the pegs it pulls the strings up or down
There seems to be a bit of misconception as to exactly what locking tuners actually do. They make string changes easier. That's it. Nothing else. They have no impact on tuning stability whatsoever compared to a PROPERLY strung conventional tuner. The locking nut is designed to lock the strings in place, eliminating the sliding of the strings through the nut slots during deep trem use, which is the hallmark of the Floyd units, and if not done, causes endless grief with the Floyd. It (tuning instability with an unlocked nut) has nothing to do whatsoever with the tuners. Using locking tuners with a conventional trem means you can change a broken string in very short order, and not end up with the wraps of string around the post that continue to stretch for some time, causing the perceived instability. Proper string installation and stretching on conventional tuners eliminates this too. It just takes a bit longer to accomplish. Locking tuners do not 'lock' in place once tuned to pitch. A locking nut does.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1