i heard that justin chancellor uses one

does anybody have any experience with one on a bass?
how does it sound?
Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Everybody and their grandmother plays guitar. True men play bass.

Amen!!

Quote by ifeastonbums
it won't harm the bass, but it will harm the children, and I for one love the children.

I love the children...
Last edited by mmmmm_bass at Sep 25, 2008,
you have a point there. he is very godly, but i just wanted to see if anybody had tried it out for themselves.
Quote by Xp3ns1v3

Amen!!

Quote by ifeastonbums
it won't harm the bass, but it will harm the children, and I for one love the children.

I love the children...
They're good for bass, good not great, the purpose of them is to be a cheap decent pedal so there are better ones that you can get but it's not bad.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Remember Justin runs 2 clean signals under his distorted one.

ProCo do a bass distortion, so that may be worth checking out, if you don't use a biamped or blended rig.

Remember he also uses a Coloursound Fuzz and a Sansamp guitar distortion (I think, it isn't just the RAT at any rate).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Ive tried out the RAT on my bass and it didnt give a nice tone, it might ive you ran 2 signals but it was too fuzzy and just obviously sounded like with a band i would become another guitar.

On the other hand i then tried the juggernaught which is the same thing but for bass and its immense, with a similar price tag but it gives a really good range of useable tones like just slightly over driven or crunchy to something gritty but not an absolute mess. It's just got a good control over the tone mostly becuase of the 'mix' dial.

So I'd say try out the juggernaught.
[blank sig]
Don't forget, Justin uses a RAT modded by Robert Keeley for bass. That's really important... KEELY IMPORTANT!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
theres this guy on youtube with the user name TOOLbassplayer and hes got Justin's tone DOWN one of his vids is a "tour" of his rig/pedal board where he demonstrates his setting and functions of his sweet gear...

also i dont know that you are attempting to emulate Justin's sound per se but if you are you WILL NEED the elusive Digitech bass WHAMMY pedal you can get one on the bay for just under $700....sucks i want one sooo bad....

the whammy is also demonstrated in his vids check em out he plays the songs with/without his guitarist friend and he plays the tunes to a T...
Quote by thefitz
Don't forget, Justin uses a RAT modded by Robert Keeley for bass. That's really important... KEELY IMPORTANT!

Yummy. Keeley does awesome pedals. I might buy a Rat II+ Bass at somepoint.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Yummy. Keeley does awesome pedals. I might buy a Rat II+ Bass at somepoint.

Actually, they have stopped doing RATs ATM, because the quality on them from the factory has fallen so low. They need you to send in your own one that must be made before a certain date.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
My God, does Gibson make RAT pedals now?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
My God, does Gibson make RAT pedals now?

I think they are sourcing them from china now, and apparently they aren't getting the same skill for less money, as some companies manage to do.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Fiw
Ive tried out the RAT on my bass and it didnt give a nice tone, it might ive you ran 2 signals but it was too fuzzy and just obviously sounded like with a band i would become another guitar.

On the other hand i then tried the juggernaught which is the same thing but for bass and its immense, with a similar price tag but it gives a really good range of useable tones like just slightly over driven or crunchy to something gritty but not an absolute mess. It's just got a good control over the tone mostly becuase of the 'mix' dial.

So I'd say try out the juggernaught.

thanks for the suggestion
i think i will try the juggernaught

and im not trying to emulate justins sound i was just interested in the distortion pedal
Quote by Xp3ns1v3

Amen!!

Quote by ifeastonbums

I love the children...
Quote by HATe410

also i dont know that you are attempting to emulate Justin's sound per se but if you are you WILL NEED the elusive Digitech bass WHAMMY pedal you can get one on the bay for just under $700....sucks i want one sooo bad....

I'm not going to get all hissy about this because there is no point, likewise I'm not going to go into huge detail the differences between the two (Pro's/Con's. Etc), but to be completely honest you can use the current issue guitar one to just the same effect, minus the oct. up/ fifth up harmony. To remedy this you can go on the bay and get an old Whammy Xp100 model, which has all the settings the bass one does and more, for around $200USD last time I checked. The bass tracking is what the purists and the like will start shouting about, but if you are using the whammy for TooL playing, I guarantee you will never have to play on the low string anyway, as Justin never does so.

Believe me, I've been through all this before.... Justin fanboy right here

I'm sorry to the TS, I haven't had experience with RAT's, therefore I can't comment.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by Nikki197666 at Sep 26, 2008,
Quote by Nikki197666
I'm not going to get all hissy about this because there is no point, likewise I'm not going to go into huge detail the differences between the two (Pro's/Con's. Etc), but to be completely honest you can use the current issue guitar one to just the same effect, minus the oct. up/ fifth up harmony. To remedy this you can go on the bay and get an old Whammy Xp100 model, which has all the settings the bass one does and more, for around $200USD last time I checked. The bass tracking is what the purists and the like will start shouting about, but if you are using the whammy for TooL playing, I guarantee you will never have to play on the low string anyway, as Justin never does so.

Believe me, I've been through all this before.... Justin fanboy right here

I'm sorry to the TS, I haven't had experience with RAT's, therefore I can't comment.

*CoughLateralusCough*