Im new to tubes,so I have a few little questions.

Im soon going to be ordering a Bugera 6260 head,which comes with 5 12AX7 tubes and 4 6L6 tubes (which can be converted to EL34).Im not into an overwhelming amount of gain,so would the AX7's be right for me? I mostly play blues/blues based rock.

Also should I play the stock valves,or switch them out as soon as I get the head? Iv always imagined that changing them would be easy,but Iv also heard people talking about taking the head to a tech to change them.
What doesn't kill you,only makes you pissed off.
Yes, the 12AX7s are good for rock and blues. If you wanted to lower the gain 12AU7s would be in order. I believe 12AT7s are somewhere in between. Someone please enlighten me here.
As for the 6L6 vs EL34 debate, it depends on whether you are into the American voicing (Fender, Mesa, etc.) or British (Marshall is the big one here). EL for British- 6L for American.
Also, there may be a claim somewhere that says you won't have to bias your amp (Mesa says this), but unless it is cathode biased, this is a lie. If you want the most out of your amp, have a tech install a bias pot in it for you.
Preamp tubes don't make as big of a difference in your sound as power tubes.
The preamp is mostly just to warm up your signal.
As for the power tubes, all I can say is try the stock ones out. From what info you've given us, I'm thinking you will end up swapping the 6L6s out for EL34s, but it's entirely possible that you may like the sound of the stock tubes.

And, unless you know how to bias your amp, you will need to take it to a tech to swap out the tubes.

Edit - ^Wait. Cathode biased amps don't have to be biased to swap out tubes?
So I can just put an EL34 into my Epi VJ without doing anything else?
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Last edited by Haha, Crackhead at Sep 25, 2008,
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
Preamp tubes don't make as big of a difference in your sound as power tubes.
The preamp is mostly just to warm up your signal.

That statement is utterly false 90% of the time.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
That statement is utterly false 90% of the time.

How can a statement be "utterly false 90% of the time"?

Also, explain how it's wrong. Keep in mind that I never said they don't make a difference.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead

Also, explain how it's wrong. Keep in mind that I never said they don't make a difference.

If you change type of preamp tube, then it makes a huge difference in the amount of gain. Also, JJ preamp tubes are known for being very dark when compared to other manufacturers. Now if you are changing GTs to Sovteks, you probably won't see any change whatsoever. The same may also apply if you are changing from JJs to Tung-Sols. You will hear a difference, but not the dramatic difference some think they will get.
Quote by end_citizen
If you change type of preamp tube, then it makes a huge difference in the amount of gain. Also, JJ preamp tubes are known for being very dark when compared to other manufacturers. Now if you are changing GTs to Sovteks, you probably won't see any change whatsoever. The same may also apply if you are changing from JJs to Tung-Sols. You will hear a difference, but not the dramatic difference some think they will get.

A huge difference in the overall gain or just the preamp gain?
And, yes, I did know that preamp tubes can affect the tonal color.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

Quote by Haha, Crackhead

90% was an arbitrary percentage obviously. Anyways, depending on the tone you're going for, your tone either HEAVILY relies on preamp dist (metal), or HEAVILY on power tubes (creamy classic rock), or any combination therein. But to say that power tubes are much much more important is just too bold of a statement imo
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
The powertubes in my opinion have the most effect when the power amp is saturated, otherwise the difference is minimal. Preamp tubes are the first in line and can have huge effect, especially when going to lower gain tubes.

Try a 5751 or a 12AT7 in your phase splitter and tell me you don't notice a difference

Order of gain from highest to lowest 12AX7, 5751, 12AT7, 12AU7. There are other preamp tubes that are interchangeable with the 12AX7, but those are the most popular.

I'm surprise no one's said this, but if you're playing mainly blues and blues rock, I wouldn't look at bugera at all, too metal oriented and too much headroom for creamy blues break up.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by kayman121
90% was an arbitrary percentage obviously. Anyways, depending on the tone you're going for, your tone either HEAVILY relies on preamp dist (metal), or HEAVILY on power tubes (creamy classic rock), or any combination therein. But to say that power tubes are much much more important is just too bold of a statement imo

Actually, I meant that a statement would be either right or wrong 100% of the time, unless you're using it in a different situation.

Eh, I can see where you're coming from. I understand the principles of preamp and power amp distortion. But, I still say that power tubes do make more of a difference.
After all, the power amp is the final(big) link in the chain that sends the signal to your speaker(s).

I'd also like to point out(again) that I never said that the preamp doesn't make a big difference. I just consider the power amp to be more important.

Edit - ^Your rig is sweet as hell.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

Preamp tubes, especially V1, almost always make the most difference, especially considering the wide range of usable 12AX7 types.

I think in this case, though, the threadstarter has the wrong amp. The Bugera is not really a blues/classic rock amp, no matter how much tube swapping you do. It's not usually a great idea to buy a bunch of tubes for an amp you haven't even ordered yet anyway.