I was thinking about selling my epiphone explorer and eventually buying a gibson flying V. I like both, and both have played well, but do you think I should just get the V or should I fix up the epi? Just wondering what most people's opinion is
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
I say fix the Epi. Do whatever you want to it, and make it really good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
They both look the sh*t man, If you don't care about having the "Gibson" logo on it then you should pimp the explorer.
which V is it, faded?

edit: becaue from what i understand the quality on those isnt much better than epi's
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Last edited by ShredGod George at Sep 25, 2008,
I owned a faded V and it was fantastic: great neck, good finishing, good wood, great sustain. Little bit thinner sounding than my other one so it got traded in when I needed to finance another project.

I do prefer my explorers though. They're balanced very nicely and have a nice meaty growl to them.
I would guess he means fix up like changing out pups and such.
The V's are mainly for soloing, right? So, if your like to do a lot of soloing and stuff, get the V. Though, I'm not too experienced with either to be honest.
yeah ^ I solo mostly. I'm not sure. I'm probably going to end up selling it because a friend of mine is interested in the explorer, so I could still play it now and then if I wanted to.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger