Ok, so i have been playing for about 2 1/2 years and i wanted to start writing some songs and stuff. I am into all kinds of metal from Thrash, Black, Death, Progressive, Heavy, etc. etc. etc. However, everytime i pick up the guitar... i am confused as to where to start. Please help me on this. I know you can't actually make me a good riff writer or anything, but just some tips on how to improve.
use some scales on ur riff writing. mix them up and/or use similar shapes some of ur fave songs use but change it up so its ur own nd ur not copying.
One of the best things (IMO the best thing) one can do as a songwriter is develop your ear. LISTEN to what you are playing. Alot of the guitar players look at the guitar and think in terms of frets and bends and whatnot when writing, which may work for some, but I think the most bang for your buck is found in doing some relative pitch training and to not be to critical. Try closing your eyes next time you write and LISTEN to where the riff/song should go. Hum it out if that helps.

Your songwriting will get better if you just keep practicing it.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
Quote by highwaysalmon
One of the best things (IMO the best thing) one can do as a songwriter is develop your ear. LISTEN to what you are playing. Alot of the guitar players look at the guitar and think in terms of frets and bends and whatnot when writing, which may work for some, but I think the most bang for your buck is found in doing some relative pitch training and to not be to critical. Try closing your eyes next time you write and LISTEN to where the riff/song should go. Hum it out if that helps.

Your songwriting will get better if you just keep practicing it.

damn right

it's all about the ears - best thing I find is to put the guitar away, give yourself a basic chord progression to listen to and see what you can come up with in your head. If you can't come up with ideas in your head then you're not really going to be able to come up with them on the guitar either.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
it's all about the ears
And your heart and your mind. The best writers wrote with feeling (oh noes, the cliche) and obviously had some sort of understanding of theory.
Learn some scales. I thought it was unsignificant until I tried. Now, all I know is the major scale and heck, my improvising is already much better. Don't get me wrong, it's still crap, but now at least it's a 1/10 instead of a 0/10.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by demonofthenight
And your heart and your mind. The best writers wrote with feeling (oh noes, the cliche) and obviously had some sort of understanding of theory.

Tru dat

Theory knowledge gives you a head start in knowing how things are going to sound, your ears are tell you how it actually sounds but at the end of the day you need to have something you want to express...your emotions influence the way you use the tools at your disposal and that's what makes music unique.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i appreciate all the help... ftr i do know my scales it's just that it's hard for me to come up with anything creative out of playing scales.
The way I write my real heavy riffs is all about the intervals. I pick a couple of the "heavier" sounding intervals, like minor seconds, minor thirds, tritone, and major sevenths and you can get some cool stuff by playing around with them. Such as....

G------------------------------9--------------------------------
D------------------------------8-------------7-9-10-9-7---------
A------3------5------3----5----7------7-8-10------------10-8-7-2
E-0000-1-0000-3-0000-1-00-3-00---0000--------------------------0
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah