i have a vintage 57 strat reissue and i hate the tuners on it with a passion. it can't handle .011 gauge strings at all and it sure as hell can't handle a whammy bar. i need some new tuners that will stay in tune with .010 strings or even .011 strings and will take hopefully hold up with a whammy bar. I'm also a little crunched for cash atm so something that would be the most bang for your buck would be ideal. also, are they hard to install? would i need to get a shop to install them? how much would that be?
Grovers? ...i'd wait for someone else's input, though. Lol.

As for installation... it's simple. All you need is a wrench.
O O

___
sounds like you want locking tuners.

sperzel makes some.

they're going to be like $60. and you need to measure your set first.
get the matching set, and it'll go easy. get the wrong set and it's a pain in the ass.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
really? i just got my 57 japanese strat and it hasn't been out of tune ever since i restring it while going though all the whammy abuse .
Quote by jj1565
sounds like you want locking tuners.

sperzel makes some.

they're going to be like $60. and you need to measure your set first.
get the matching set, and it'll go easy. get the wrong set and it's a pain in the ass.

THIS.

I have locking Sperzel's on my Strat and it handles all the whammy abuse you can throw at it.

EDIT: Also, make sure that your nut stays lubricated. If it's a cheap plastic nut you'll have to put some oil in the slots, but you'll probably want to replace it with a bone or graphite nut in the long run.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 26, 2008,
You can also use a product called 'Lock Ease' which is an aerosol graphite. It is sold in hardware stores to lubricate locks.
I'm going with a set of Schaller tuners for my strat (guage 10 though).
But as everyone else is suggesting, looks like locking ones are the way to go, but there's always a chance you need a new nut (or at least to lubricate the nut with a lil' pencil graphite) or maybe a new method of re-stringing.