ok, is it ok to just desolder the old one off and use the same wires and just put the other pickup on it or do i have to use the wires that came with the pickups?
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
um... well, you only desolder the wires the wires from the old pickup and then solder the wires from the new one in according to the wiring diagram.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I think he means can you desolder the wires from the existing pickup and use those wires, as opposed to having to desolder the wires from the rest of the electronics and redo it with the wire from the new pickup. Is this what you mean? And if so, I would also like to know if it can be done this way.
what i did was i figured out which wires went where and basically spliced them together. that way all you need to do is wrap the part thats connected in electrical tape.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
NO!!!! Do not do that or you will screw over 2 pairs of pickups and a guitar. the wires come specifically with the pickups, they are integrated right in, and resoldering could ground the pickup to itself, or melt a bunch of things inside. the best way is to find out which wires correspond on the new pickup before taking the old one out, then plop it in and solder it to the points you just discovered. repeat it for the other pickup. whatever you do, don't detach wires from the pickups themselves.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
That was my question thanks. I left mine off at the shop. I took a look inside and got scared lol. BTW what's a going rate for pickup installation? I'm probably getting screwed.