Right, so I was watching the movie Almost Famous again last night and I noticed that during the airport scene you can hear an acoustic version of Cortez the Killer in the background with harmonica as well.

Does anyone know if this was a cover or not because I can't find it on any of Neil Young's albums but I was able to find a bootleg a copy some one took from a concert. Any ideas or help?
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
If I remember correctly, that could be Natural Beauty from Neil's Harvest Moon album. Similar sounding chord progression, the album track is a live recording, and it contains harmonica, so it fits the bill. I'd have to watch the movie again to make sure.

Almost Famous is a fantastic movie. One of my favorites.

EDIT: I also never realized that the song Anita Miller (William's sister) plays before she leaves home is America by Simon and Garfunkel. I'm not a Simon and Garfunkel fan, but I'm a big Yes fan, and while I was aware that Yes' version was a cover, I had never heard the original. When I actually paid attention to the lyrics of the song she put on, they sounded very familiar, then I put 2 and 2 together and realized that it is the original version of America.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Simon and Garfunkel are nice, and Yes tends to go over the top, but that Yes version is just so kick-ass.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by BrainDamage
If I remember correctly, that could be Natural Beauty from Neil's Harvest Moon album. Similar sounding chord progression, the album track is a live recording, and it contains harmonica, so it fits the bill. I'd have to watch the movie again to make sure.

Almost Famous is a fantastic movie. One of my favorites.

EDIT: I also never realized that the song Anita Miller (William's sister) plays before she leaves home is America by Simon and Garfunkel. I'm not a Simon and Garfunkel fan, but I'm a big Yes fan, and while I was aware that Yes' version was a cover, I had never heard the original. When I actually paid attention to the lyrics of the song she put on, they sounded very familiar, then I put 2 and 2 together and realized that it is the original version of America.

Hmm, nope that's not it. I've been looking around the web and someone said that Crowe said in the commentary or something that it was a bootleg. Here, the song is at the 5:20 mark onward in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mff-03raMTo.
Yes' version of America is much better imo. Currently considering picking up a ticket for there Toronto gig in November.
Quote by richwatkinson

TheDudeBox
Last edited by Brandon860 at Sep 26, 2008,
^^Ah, so it definitely is Cortez the Killer. When I first saw the movie, I originally thought that's what it was, but dismissed the thought cause I had never heard a similar version. I'll go check my bootlegs and see if I can come up with anything.

EDIT: GOT IT. It's from Neil's 1999 solo tour, and according to Hyperrust, it's apparently from 1999-05-20 at Detroit's Fox Theater.
Quote by Thefallofman
Now that your question has been answered I feel obliged to butt in and say how much I love this song. Whoever it was that did the CR radio show and included it was a genius. Listened to it so many times since. The rest of 'Zuma' was nowhere near as good though (but it finally led me to realise what Matt Valentine's dog is named after).

You lot should all go and check out some Magnolia Electric Co or Songs: Ohia, anything Jason Molina related if you haven't already.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I like Zuma a lot. Cortez is the best, but I've always loved Danger Bird (despite Neil's horrible vocal performance) and Through My Sails a ton.
Hey, I'm Mike.
^^That's a classic Neil Young vocal performance in Danger Bird I love Pardon My Heart and Drive Back from Zuma. Drive Back rocks

EDIT: And Cortez the Killer really is a great song.

Quote by Andrewbiles
Now that your question has been answered I feel obliged to butt in and say how much I love this song. Whoever it was that did the CR radio show and included it was a genius. Listened to it so many times since. The rest of 'Zuma' was nowhere near as good though (but it finally led me to realise what Matt Valentine's dog is named after).
I'm still surprised that was the first time you had heard that song

Quote by Andrewbiles
You lot should all go and check out some Magnolia Electric Co or Songs: Ohia, anything Jason Molina related if you haven't already.
Both added to my already enormous list of bands to check out
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
^^Ah, so it definitely is Cortez the Killer. When I first saw the movie, I originally thought that's what it was, but dismissed the thought cause I had never heard a similar version. I'll go check my bootlegs and see if I can come up with anything.

EDIT: GOT IT. It's from Neil's 1999 solo tour, and according to Hyperrust, it's apparently from 1999-05-20 at Detroit's Fox Theater.

Do you have a copy of it?
Quote by richwatkinson

TheDudeBox
^^No I do not, although I do have two NY 1999 shows (with a few more on the way), and one of them contains Cortez the Killer.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
I'm still surprised that was the first time you had heard that song

Both added to my already enormous list of bands to check out

Probably had heard it somewhere but never taken notice. My mum's always had copies of 'Harvest' and 'After the gold rush' playing but never 'Zuma' - might be on vinyl somewhere but her records are all buried in a cupboard.

Definitely check out S:O / MEC, sod the other bands! (unless the list includes Les Temps Heureux - completely different but utterly fantastic)

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
Probably had heard it somewhere but never taken notice. My mum's always had copies of 'Harvest' and 'After the gold rush' playing but never 'Zuma' - might be on vinyl somewhere but her records are all buried in a cupboard.
Two very very good albums, After the Gold Rush especially.

Quote by Andrewbiles
(unless the list includes Les Temps Heureux - completely different but utterly fantastic)
Now it does
Quote by Thefallofman
Yeah, I've always preferred '...gold rush' as well.

I'll stop recommending stuff now (do check them out though, I reckon you'd enjoy all 3)

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
Whoever it was that did the CR radio show and included Cortez the Killer was a genius.

Ha, I was just browsing and found this and I remembered I put it in the radio thing.
Quote by highvoltage66
so whats this pink floyd guy's middle name anyway?
Quote by Andrewbiles
Now that your question has been answered I feel obliged to butt in and say how much I love this song.

As do I.

I might also mention that, no matter how many times I have listened to this classic, I always wrongly anticipate when the verses of the song begin. I hear the resolution of the chord progression approaching, but rather than be met by the sound of Neil's voice I continue to hear his guitar.
^ Same here!
I think it's because the leads are slow, long and follow the vocal melody that they sound like they're going to lead in much sooner than they do.

Quote by gtrplyr54
Ha, I was just browsing and found this and I remembered I put it in the radio thing.

Nicely done, was a top pick

RateYourMusic