My jazz band teacher's looking for a new guitar for us to use in class, and he's letting me choose what to get.

So...

Price range - Around 1,000 USD
Bridge - no trems
Style - Jazz/rock/shred

let the suggestions fly!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
try a les paul jr or a musicman.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
don't musicman guitars go for more? and no thanks to the LP jr.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by TK1
try a les paul jr or a musicman.

You can shred with a les paul jr? Naa. I would save like 300 or 400 more and get a used Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Standard (as you can tell this is the guitar I would get if I had the $$$$)
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
a jackson , like the one of alexi laiho , you'll look kool
or a les paul , always sound good
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Oh sorry guys.

Quick note: No les pauls or anything fender

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
How are the prestige series guitars? And how are the RG's?

I sort of wanted to get something like PG's ibanez.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Hmm, scratch the "no trem" thing as well.

bring on the divebombs.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
A used PRS?
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
JH-600 lol had to say it since i own one try one out is ebony fretboard smooth as hell 24 frets floyd rose active pickups try one out

edit: doh i just saw you say no trems you could still get a notrem or tremsetter whatever they call it to make it a fixed bridge
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Basically, you're gonna want humbuckers. That's pretty much the only sure thing to look for - both metal and jazz are much better with them. Your options are pretty broad.

What genre is the most important, here? If it's jazz, I'd go for a hollowbody - they're not as bright, and lend themselves to a round, jazzy tone.
PGM maybe?

24 frets, HSH, maple, RG shape. Neck should be Wizard or PGM profile which is just off Wizard if memory serves.

301 is hardtail, but the 300 has a trem - Edge Pro or Lo-Pro I think.
My teacher rejected the PGM

I wanted it so bad, too D:

How's the rg1570?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
He said Jazz guitar, geez guys.

Simple, get a Jimmy, the new version of the Jimmy D'Addario designed guitar. A lot of the newer Jazz musicians are starting to play these, and they are one very fine Jazz guitar. About 800 or so.Here's the blurb:

The Hagstrom Jazz Model HL-550 Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar features a mahogany body and set mahogany neck. The Hagstrom patented H-Expander truss rod provides tension at either end and runs the entire length of the neck. The rigid yet lightweight alloy truss rod allows for very low action and a thin neck..

Another Hagstrom exclusive, the resinator fretboard is an extraordinary, homogeneous wood composite that maintains a strong fundamental harmonic and eliminates wolf tones. It offers the articulate sound of high quality ebony but with more consistency and durability. Silky smooth, reliable and fast..

A single floating custom HF-50 humbucker, combined with the resonant hollowbody, provide lots of warm, rich tone..

The self-lubricating graphite composite nut is much harder than bone or plastic resulting in more string vibration through the neck. Tuning is also improved and string binding is eliminated by self-lubrication..

A long travel tune-o-matic bridge and trapeze tailpiece further increase tone, sustain, and intonation quality.18:1 Gear Ratio machine heads ensure fully accurate tuning. A high-grade polyester finish that is hard, smooth, and more dense than polyurethane. The finish on the HL-550 looks great and provides excellent protection and sonic performance.

Specifications:
# Body: Select Mahogany Neck and Body

# Fingerboard: Resinator Fretboard with Hagstrom Pearl Block Position Marks

# Truss Rod: H-Expander Truss Rod

# Tuning Keys: Hagstrom 18:1 Die Cast Tuners

# Scale Length: 24.75” Scale

# Pickups: Hagstrom Floating Neck Pickup

# Bridge: Ebony Jimmy bridge with Hagstrom Trapeze Tail Piece

# Controls: 1x Volume / 1x Tone

I should say that the Hags are very much sustain monsters, but they are very easy to play, and the necks are very very fast.

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/hl.html

Also, there's the Viking as well. You may be able to find a decent vintage in that price, there are some great Japanese models, and some epi's from the 60's, and with the financial crisis really starting to hit, the prices are coming down a lot.
Last edited by shvmr at Sep 26, 2008,
^ go for that, amazing looking and i bet it plays just as good as it looks.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by Jinskee
My teacher rejected the PGM

I wanted it so bad, too D:

How's the rg1570?

He...

What?

I'd figure that the 1570 would be a pretty nice guitar, it is a prestige Ibanez after all. I'm a sucker for maple, though, so I'd like to mention the RG2450MZ

Of course, on the more traditional jazz front, the Hagstrom that shvmr mentioned is a very nice guitar. They sound great and play pretty well, but something felt a little weird about playing it - it's probably that I'm not used to 24 3/4" guitars.

I would suppose that there is also the Virage line, but I have no idea of their status or price. They might be worth looking into if you want to be a little out-of-the-box.
This is for a jazz band, right? So primarily jazz?
I know in my high school jazz band I wouldn't have even been allowed to play something like an Ibanez, unless it was an artcore.
I'd think some sort of semi-hollow or les paul or something similar would be much more relevant to a jazz class.
Thanks guys. I almost bought a Viking, got a select swede instead. I should mention the new version of the Viking Deluxe has a bigsby style trem arm. Jaw dropping...
Elvis played a Viking on his come back special.

They are very Gresche like where the neck meets the body, so it takes a while to get use to. Of course, once you are, it can be very addicting. I`m eyeing a maple top clear `72 Viking at the moment.
Just get a prestige series lol. They are awesome and the tone on them is sooo good. You can play any style.
Quote by Roc8995
This is for a jazz band, right? So primarily jazz?
I know in my high school jazz band I wouldn't have even been allowed to play something like an Ibanez, unless it was an artcore.
I'd think some sort of semi-hollow or les paul or something similar would be much more relevant to a jazz class.

lol, our class is all spread out

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
The title said Jazz/Rock/Shred

IMO, I believe it would be best to go for a solid body because a hollow body is going to be based 100% for blues and jazz, and a mediocre performer for shred. On the other hand, you could go for a solid body which can do jazz well, if not above average, and perform flawlessly for rock and shred.

1/3 < 2/3
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio