My friend and I are going to be playing this song soon, Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah', and he wanted me to do more of a lead part while he plays the chords and sings. I'm not all that advanced in theory and such, my musical 'ear' is terrible. When I play a 'lead' to this song, I usually end up doing some little climbs up and down the Am pentatonic scale and that's pretty much it.

Can you guys help me out? What would be some nice sounding scales? I've tried hitting the bass note of each chord, then playing the corresponding minor scale as the chords are played but it sounds terrible. I'm most certainly doing something wrong.

The tab we're using and playing is here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/jeff_buckley/hallelujah_ver2_crd.htm
All your base are belong to us.
Last edited by Xp3ns1v3 at Sep 25, 2008,
Arpeggiate the chords, I find this one of the most interesting ways to right a melody.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Interesting idea... I was thinking of perhaps hitting the bass note and fingerpicking an arpeggio of the chords. I'll try it out, I really haven't done much with arpeggios really.
Watch the soloing video in my sig. It's all about emphasizing chord changes, and it requires minimal knowledge of theory and not much technical prowess either.