I really really want to play the guitar and really feel stupid ask dumb questions like this..

But i dont know where to begin and if it is too late to start haha (currently 15)

Id like to know what to use to begin with or WHAT to get.
Im not even sure i could find a good teacher around where i live.

I love hardcore music and eventually would love to learn to play it but i really need some help so anything you could possibly do to help me would be awesome.
A teacher is more or less to make sure you learn things in order, if you are good at following books. . go that route it's cheaper.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
The above post is not completely true.

As it is good to learn some stuff from books, teachers don't just make sure you learn stuff in order. Getting a teacher will cause you to not start bad habits with your technique. Bad habits can lead to trouble playing certain things, or damage in your wrist and/or forearm. Having a teacher will also not only show you how to play things, but show you the theory behind everything you're learning, and more.

Starting to play at 15 years old isn't to late to start playing, it's never to late to start playing. When you begin playing though, you should know that you shouldn't just focus on playing one style of music. It's important to learn scales, chords ect. as well, and both scales and chords are good things to start out with. If you don't know this already, playing guitar involves alot of self disaplin. It's also always better to try making your practicing fun. Alot of people practice guitar off and on while watching TV, on the computer ect.

Now, if you're really interested in playing, tell us a little bit more about what kind of music you're primarily insterested in playing, right or left handed, price range ect. Just try to give as much information as possible, and I'm sure me or somebody else will help you out as much as possible.
Hey its never too late. I started at it about 6 months ago and I'm 22. There are plenty of lessons online if you dont want a teacher. Plus Youtube can be amazing if you want to learn stuff or just be inspired.
Well, a starter pack electric like squier (but a lot of them are crappy) that includes a guitar, practice amp, gig bag, tuner and instructional dvd would be a good place to start. where do you live that you can't find a good teacher?
Caraluzzo, My statement was just to say, mostly Teachers are there for keeping a student on task and keeping them lined out on stuff. Most likely you aren't going to cause any damage to your wrist or forearm. I haven't heard of much damage to people from playing guitar, I think it's another thing the liberal media made up, like global warming. . . I started at 13 didn't have a teacher until 18, and that was because I started college. From 5 years, all I was able to pick up that wasn't accepted technique wise was that "you aren't supposed to fret the low E string with your thumb." Oh and "You aren't supposed to play lead right there, play lead whenever it's your turn to solo and stop harmonizing with the horn section"(That was in Jazz Band) But initially there isn't that much technique involved anyways, just figure out what works for you. . . technique comes in whenever you are trying to build upon what you have started as far as a basic working knowledge of music.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.

For the post above... Price is not an option..but something good to start out with...i really wanna play and will do whatever it takes..i really lwanna play hardcore/punk pop (fav band being a day to remember) thats what i wanna learn but id like to just be able to play anything haha
EDIT-

Would price still be no option if I told you that most people learn faster with better gear?
Just give me and estimated price to work with and we'll go from there.
Last edited by caraluzzo at Sep 26, 2008,
Lower end ESP guitars. . . may I suggest MH 250? And a Peavey Practice Amp.
Quote by paranoid joker

For guitar and amp?
Is there any certain guitars or amps you've checked out yet?
And are you buying new or used?
id prefer new..and no i havent looked at any due to fact i didnt know if there was a good one to start out with or sound better ect...it pathetic how little i know.
I would suggest maybe looking at some stuff on the internet, just to see if there are any certain guitars that sound good to you. If you're just starting, I'd suggest a smaller amp, maybe something like a Roland Micro Cube or something. As far as guitars, check out Ibanez, Jackson, Epiphone and LTD's. I may be wrong, but I think they all have descent starter guitars, and they would all do well for somebody just starting out.

Is there any local music shops near you?
The Ibanez Gio series has some nice 'cheap' guitars. My first guitar is a Ibanez GRG170DX, a quality guitar for €220. Which left me with enough money to buy a Roland Cube 30X, a great amp. Should fit right in your budget
One thing I don't agree with is practicing in front of the TV or computer. Even though you might be going over the simplest things like chromatics or scales you still need 100% concentration when doing these things. I know it may seem like overboard to some people but this is the way I was taught to do things. When I sit down to practice it is full concentration for those hours. I also make sure I organize my practices properly and evenly even though I have been playing for years. My practices might be a little more detailed now but when I was started off it would look like the following.

1) Chromatics to warm up
2) Chords (practice open chords to start)
3) Scales (start with minor pentatonic and major scale)

Start off without a metronone and get your fingers use to everything. Once you learn the basic open chords and scales and get the fingering down then start using a metronome so you get your timing down. Also, for your benefit, alternate pick every exercise you do. This will help you tremendously down the line. Just remember, take everything really slowly. Forget about speed. The most important thing here is building up your muscle memory in your fingers and the only way to do that is by taking it slow and concentrating. Practicing in front of the TV or computer IMO is counter productive.
Agiles and SX's are cheaper than those if you want a good LP shape www.rondomusic.com

I don't know about an amp though

and not knowing isn't pathetic, it's just not knowing
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
But i dont know where to begin and if it is too late to start haha (currently 15)

I hope not, I'm 34 and starting out. I must be DOOMED!
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
It's never too late to start. I started when I was 20.

For your budget, my suggestion is to get a used guitar in the range of $250-$300 and an amp in the range of $200-$300 (used will get you a better amp in that price range than a new one).

I just want to mention 1 thing though. The amp is very important. Much more important than the guitar. I have a crappy 6 year old Squier that's probably not great by any means, but it plays fine (no problems with it really), and if I plug it in to a nice $1500 amp of my friend's, it sounds really good, so the amp is the main thing you want to buy something "decent", but you also need to get a guitar that at the very least does its job properly.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Get an Epi LP standard plus(500$). In a few years, put a bridge burstbucker in it and it will work wonders. Line 6 Spider 2 amp, pretty good value. The best way to start would be, if you cant get a teacher, get a Hal Leonard beginners guitar book, they are pretty good, also play guitar with friends to learn new things that will keep you interested
By the way, on the age thing. I have about a 5-8 year shelf life, so whenever I reach thirty if I haven't made it, I'm jumping off a freeway in front of a big rig. .. .it just makes sense is all.
Quote by paranoid joker

Ok

Guitar ( any certain one or kind? )
Amp ( again kinds? )
Book ( what are best books or whatever to use?
Quote by JSlice
Book ( what are best books or whatever to use?

In my opinion, Hal Leonard Guitar Method
Quote by JSlice

But i dont know where to begin and if it is too late to start haha (currently 15).

Not really. I'm 18, started a few months ago. No lessons at all. Im not encouraging to go self taught.. I mean if you have guitarist friends you could give it a shot. I never jammed with my friends though and i meet with them i always some advice, recommended songs etc. IMO have lessons for a 2 months for position and basics, then go solo. A friend of mine went solo after having lessons and he improved a lot alone compared to when he had a teacher. It doesnt mean anything cuz he's back to lessons again. Just make sure you get the correct basics.
Your not too old at all mate, if you don't have too much money at the moment then look into getting an acoustic atm and then save up for a guitar and amp, there are a few added bonuses to this imo aswell, your fingers will be stronger from playing the acoustic, you will learn to play things cleaner as theres not risk of cranking up the distortion and playing badly and not noticing and thirdly when you do come to buy an electric you'll know loads more about them from lurking around on these forums.

As for learning i'd 100% recommend having atleast a few lessons with a tutor so you can avoid picking up bad habits early on.
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
Just so you know, its not going to be easy. Really. Im not just saying that to be an ass. I started just under a year ago (Im 34) and there is a WHOLE SLEW of stuff to learn. It can be overwhelming and discouraging at times.

Start small. Learn/master the basics and keep your goals realistic. (no Malmsteen in a month of playing)
Quote by Axe Murderer
Just so you know, its not going to be easy. Really. Im not just saying that to be an ass. I started just under a year ago (Im 34) and there is a WHOLE SLEW of stuff to learn. It can be overwhelming and discouraging at times.

Start small. Learn/master the basics and keep your goals realistic. (no Malmsteen in a month of playing)

You can't do Malmsteen after an entire month?
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)