Page 1 of 2
I'm in the market for a new guitar and need some advice. I'm looking for a guitar that (you guessed it) excels at heavy metal, high gain music. Price isn't to much of a issue but I would like to keep it under $1500. Floyd style bridge, high gain pickups, preferably mahogany, fast neck, AMAZING SUSTAIN (like Nigel's guitars lol). Any suggestions would be sweeet. And if you haven't played or heard the guitar before in person don't bother telling me about it! Thanks dudes. And I have a splawn nitro
Fender Stratocaster.

;D

Seriously, I love Snakes for Metal XD
Ibanez, best metal/shred guitars, no debate.

I love how some of their models can pull other stuff off really well though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Oujou
Fender Stratocaster.

;D

Seriously, I love Snakes for Metal XD

compare it to an Ibanez...
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Ibanez, definitely.
Fantastic quality and sound - what more can you want?
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
make sure you get a Japanese made Ibanez.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by Exo M7
Ibanez, best metal/shred guitars, no debate.

I love how some of their models can pull other stuff off really well though.

okay now ibanez kicks ass yea but the best metal shred is jackson hands down
Ibanez, they have the thinnest necks and 90% of their models come with some type of FR or LFR...
I'd avoid the TRS, TRSII, EdgeIII and go for the Edge, Edgepro, Lo-Pro or ZR trems.
Here's a link explaining a whole load about Ibbys.
http://www.lawl.net/gtr/trems
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Ibanez is a good choice if you want what everyone else has.......BORING!

There are plenty of others out there that fit the bill you described, for less than $1500, that are made in the US.

You could get a custom, American made Carvin to your specs.

The always badass Washburn N4 with the very cool Stephens extended cutaway neck joint. So cool for shredding.

The new Charvel prodution series are right there too.

Any higher end Jackson also.

Think outside the box, sheep of the guitar buying community.
just curious. how do you know how much carvins cost? i cant find prices anywhere..
Ibanez: fast neck, smooth neckjoint, crappy thin sound.
Jackson: fast neck, high heel neckjoint, great sound.

Its up to you.

EDIT:
oh i didnt see that you were looking for a 1500$ guitar. Well in that case, almost all shred guitars have neckthrough, so no neckjoint. I'd suggest you get a SL2H, RR1 or a KV2. Second hand offcourse.
Here is a review video of an SL2H (dont watch the horrible shredding in the beginning plz. but keep on watching till the end)
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=GFy9-r3FY4g

And another one, just for fun :
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=FLBFYrVJER4&feature=related
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Sep 26, 2008,
Quote by LP_CL
Ibanez: fast neck, smooth neckjoint, crappy thin sound.
Jackson: fast neck, high heel neckjoint, great sound.

lolololololol
Quote by Horlicks
lolololololol

Bit stereotype isnt it? But stereotypes have to come from somhere, dont they?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Carvins!!

You can get beautiful custom shop quality, finishes etc.
for 1000 dollars

that's bitchen.
I don't even shred
I'd go with a Jackson, I prefer them over Ibanez, they're slightly cheaper and even their low end models are really comfortable to play.

I'm not sure about shred being that high gain though, Malmsteen, Vai, Gilbert and Satch don't really use that much gain, around 7, it's rarely set to 10 for their songs.
Quote by XianXiuHong
I'd go with a Jackson, I prefer them over Ibanez, they're slightly cheaper and even their low end models are really comfortable to play.

I'm not sure about shred being that high gain though, Malmsteen, Vai, Gilbert and Satch don't really use that much gain, around 7, it's rarely set to 10 for their songs.

7?????????????
I think they never go that high. (Put a JSX or a Laney at gain 7 and all you get is mud)
I dont think Gilbert even goes over 2-3 on the lead channel.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
7?????????????
I think they never go that high. (Put a JSX or a Laney at gain 7 and all you get is mud)
I dont think Gilbert even goes over 2-3 on the lead channel.

Amp settings thread and...

http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=11600

Look at his GOOMY settings, maxed out gain.

EDIT: All you get on 7 is mud?

Maybe it's your EQing...
^Gain MAX on a high gain amp = mud, no matter what EQ, unless you turn back volume. which he apparently does.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
^Gain MAX on a high gain amp = mud, no matter what EQ, unless you turn back volume. which he apparently does.

He has an attenuator, it reduces the output to the speakers while still pushing the tubes, he doesn't "turn back" the volume literally, but it sort of does but it simulates the tone of having tubes being overdriven.

Were you just calling Paul Gilbert's tone mud?
Quote by XianXiuHong
He has an attenuator, it reduces the output to the speakers while still pushing the tubes, he doesn't "turn back" the volume literally, but it sort of does but it simulates the tone of having tubes being overdriven.

Were you just calling Paul Gilbert's tone mud?

No i didnt. But i also dont think he has a great tone though. Its good, not great.
And you see: like you just said, its not really the same as just playing Max gain. He uses an attenuator.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by acdc51502112
compare it to an Ibanez...

I have, I hate Ibanez guitars XD

I would like Deans if they looked less like shit.
Quote by LP_CL
No i didnt. But i also dont think he has a great tone though. Its good, not great.
And you see: like you just said, its not really the same as just playing Max gain. He uses an attenuator.

It's basically the exact same effect as having your amp up on a really high volume, but not as loud with the same TONE.

Either your EQing is bad, your tubes suck or your speaker's just plain muddy and not good for handling gain/high volumes.
Quote by XianXiuHong
It's basically the exact same effect as having your amp up on a really high volume, but not as loud with the same TONE.

Either your EQing is bad, your tubes suck or your speaker's just plain muddy and not good for handling gain/high volumes.

ok man, put your gain to 10, its YOUR bloody awfull tone. Gilbert obviously does NOT have that much gain when he plays, so OR he rolls off the volume knob, OR he modded his amp.
High gain amp + gain on 10 is noise.
Go try it out, you will see.

Amp: 6505

My EQ:
Bass: 5
Mid: 9
Treb: 2

Speakers: G12H30 greenbacks.

I dont think its my EQ or my speakers.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
ok man, put your gain to 10, its YOUR bloody awfull tone. Gilbert obviously does NOT have that much gain when he plays, so OR he rolls off the volume knob, OR he modded his amp.
High gain amp + gain on 10 is noise.
Go try it out, you will see.

I don't like having my gain fully up, my point is, SEVEN (fucking read) is usually the range for shred, SOME people go up to ten for a song or two sometimes.

His GOOMY album had his gain on ten, that was an example of people going BEYOND seven and not being muddy (as you said).

He hasn't modded his amp at all, his current amplifier (Marshall 2266c Vintage Modern) is all stock and he uses the Hotplate Attenuator to reduce the output to the SPEAKER to make it less noisy while keeping the tone of a tube amp being overdriven.

The Marshall 2266c doesn't even HAVE a gain knob but from his past settings, he's been around 7 for his gain, just look at the damn Amp Settings thread, back in the 80s in his days with Racer-X he played loud, without an attenuator with his gain around 7 and his tone wasn't muddy at all, it was clear.

Quote by LP_CL

Amp: 6505

My EQ:
Bass: 5
Mid: 9
Treb: 2

Speakers: G12H30 greenbacks.

There you go, your bass is over-powering your treble making your tone sound like it's being muffled and your mids are so high that it gets plain muddy no matter what.
Quote by XianXiuHong

The Marshall 2266c doesn't even HAVE a gain knob but from his past settings, he's been around 7 for his gain, just look at the damn Amp Settings thread, back in the 80s in his days with Racer-X he played loud, without an attenuator with his gain around 7 and his tone wasn't muddy at all, it was clear.

There you go, your bass is over-powering your treble making your tone sound like it's being muffled and your mids are so high that it gets plain muddy no matter what.

1. I was talking about HIGH GAIN AMPS, and the Marshall VM isnt exactly a high gainer (like the laney).
On a Marshall VM:
Body = Bass gain (PG sets it on 5.5)
Detail = treb gain (PG sets it on 4.5)
So gain = +/- 5

2. If you would know something about amps and speakers, you would know that the 6505 is an amp with ALOT of top end, and the greenbacks are speakers that are NOT bassy at all, but mid orientated. Therefor is my trebble at 2, and my bass on 5. Also, i play an alder guitar with a maple top and a JB in the neck. Thats top end + top end + top end. My bass NEEDS to be higher then my trebble.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
1. I was talking about HIGH GAIN AMPS, and the Marshall VM isnt exactly a high gainer (like the laney).
On a Marshall VM:
Body = Bass gain (PG sets it on 5.5)
Detail = treb gain (PG sets it on 4.5)
So gain = +/- 5

2. If you would know something about amps and speakers, you would know that the 6505 is an amp with ALOT of top end, and the greenbacks are speakers that are NOT bassy at all, but mid orientated. Therefor is my trebble at 2, and my bass on 5. Also, i play an alder guitar with a maple top and a JB in the neck. Thats top end + top end + top end. My bass NEEDS to be higher then my trebble.

Ok, you got me with point 2 however, while gain 7 may seem awful to you, so many shredders use that much gain, Petrucci does, Vai does, and many others and you can't tell me that Vai's tone sucks. Why did you even attack me with your argument in the first place?
I dont know what amps pettruci and Vai use, and what huge racks and effects are on it, and i dont think you know either, but i DO know one thing. Gain 7 NEVER is good on a high gain amp. NEVER. Not even for shred.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
I dont know what amps pettruci and Vai use, and what huge racks and effects are on it, and i dont think you know either, but i DO know one thing. Gain 7 NEVER is good on a high gain amp. NEVER. Not even for shred.

I never said gain 7 was good for a high gain amp, I said most shredders usually set their gain around 7.
Page 1 of 2