My friend asked me what chord a C-E-D would be. I concluded that it was a C9 no5th. However, I am not particularly confident in that answer, what would this chord be named?
So a Csus2 Triad? alright, are all sus chords minus the fifth, or is that why you specify triad?
Cadd9(no5)

Csus2 is C-D-G.

A "sus" chord usually means the third is displaced for a fourth. A "sus2" means the third is displaced for a second.

When a second and third are both present it is normal to call the second a ninth even if it is voiced as a second.

It is not a C9 no fifth since a C9 is an extension of a C7. A C9 must include the b7.

An "add9" denotes a normal triad with an added 9th (no seventh). Then you just note the 5 is gone and you get Cadd9(no5).
Si
I'd say Cadd9. Reminds me of "Johanna" from Sweeney Todd, it uses a similar chord (in Eb though).
Can anyone please put up a tab showing a Fmaj#11 chord i want to play lydian over it and i cant seem to figure it out in my head (im at work)
x

Thats my voicing, its copyrighted . It's movable if you omit that fifth, although it sounds better with the fifth. I've checked a couple of different voicings and thats my favourite.
Quote by demonofthenight
x

Thats my voicing, its copyrighted . It's movable if you omit that fifth, although it sounds better with the fifth. I've checked a couple of different voicings and thats my favourite.

Thanks bud, yeah it does sound cool under lydian melody's.
You can let the top e ring out as well, it's the M7 so it's fine.

Here's another voicing which incorporates the natural 9. No fifth. #11 is high.

-
Last edited by mdc at Sep 29, 2008,