So I was thinking about starting a little project: building a bass.

I'm somewhat a beginner at all of this stuff and I thought this would be a good learning experience.

I was thinking about getting a body like this in maple:

Peghead:

I was thinking about just using straight-chrome hardware (bridges, machine heads, etc.) and putting in some EMG's.

Now how bout for a black matte finish! Wouldn't that body look sick in a straight black matte?

I was mostly thinking of building this with a metal player in mind: metal-looking, metal sounding (maple is brighter with makes a more grindy sound.

Any comments?

PS, and yes I know it is really pricy, but it's affordable for me.
Mah Geah:
The Dreaded T-Bird
Ampeg BA115
Boss Bass Synth
Boss Bass Overdrive
Blue Steel Strings
Clayton Picks
Monster Cables

Coheed and Cambria: Rush, Iron Maiden, and Star Wars had a baby.
No comments?
Mah Geah:
The Dreaded T-Bird
Ampeg BA115
Boss Bass Synth
Boss Bass Overdrive
Blue Steel Strings
Clayton Picks
Monster Cables

do it!

and dont get passive EMG's. get actives. cause the passive ones suck. just lettin u know so that u dont acidentally buy s***ty pups.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Yeah awesome idea. I agree wit the other guy. Let us know how it goes dude
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
something like the pic i attached?
I say go for it, I'd love to see it IRL
Quote by DartS17
something like the pic i attached?
I say go for it, I'd love to see it IRL

beautiful dude! that's exactly what i needed to see: it all laid out.

yeah i'll keep you guys up-to-date on how it goes.

gonna be a while to get the money tho!
Mah Geah:
The Dreaded T-Bird
Ampeg BA115
Boss Bass Synth
Boss Bass Overdrive
Blue Steel Strings
Clayton Picks
Monster Cables

Quote by AngusJimiKeith
do it!

and dont get passive EMG's. get actives. cause the passive ones suck. just lettin u know so that u dont acidentally buy s***ty pups.

yeah i was checkin out reviews and stuff and i really liked the actives.
Mah Geah:
The Dreaded T-Bird
Ampeg BA115
Boss Bass Synth
Boss Bass Overdrive
Blue Steel Strings
Clayton Picks
Monster Cables

i assume you mean a maple laminate top for the body and not a full on maple body right? a maple bass body would give you scoliosis after a week, too heavy. go with alder or ash and put a maple top on it if thats the look you're going for, your back will thank you down the road.
I love that body design, I hope to build neck-through with something similar eventually. anyway, I think it's a great idea, do it
Founder of the "Foundation to replace Jacob's stolen phone foundation of America" PM me to contribute to this noble cause, no donation is too small, or large for that matter
Quote by rednwhiteblues
i assume you mean a maple laminate top for the body and not a full on maple body right? a maple bass body would give you scoliosis after a week, too heavy. go with alder or ash and put a maple top on it if thats the look you're going for, your back will thank you down the road.

well i was reading up on all the different choices of woods to use and it said that maple is one of the brightest.... so i'm not sure. i'll have to see what else there is.

thanks for the comments, guys.
Mah Geah:
The Dreaded T-Bird
Ampeg BA115
Boss Bass Synth
Boss Bass Overdrive
Blue Steel Strings
Clayton Picks
Monster Cables

if you want bright you could try ash, or walnut which would be a bit brighter, but you're right, nothing is as birght sounding as far as common tonewoods go as maple, so if you are willing to have a heavy ass bass you could def. go with a maple body, but you should absolutely chamber it a bit to take some weight out.
Yup chamber it!
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
do it!

I have passive emg's in my Spector and they sound great.

Nice design though, I really dig that headstock.
Quote by Ryker24
I have passive emg's in my Spector and they sound great.

Nice design though, I really dig that headstock.

Thanks, I thought the same!

But...

Actives or passives???

Like I said, I'm trying to make this bass best fit for metal. And from what I hear, metal bassists have really bright sounding basses to get the grind sound.
Mah Geah:
The Dreaded T-Bird
Ampeg BA115
Boss Bass Synth
Boss Bass Overdrive
Blue Steel Strings
Clayton Picks
Monster Cables