I am mainly referring to the gauge of the strings used. I am using DR .11-.50 which is only a little larger than normal.

I was learning the solo to ACDC's Shook me all night long, and I noticed the G B and E strings were really hurting my fingers and were tough to bend.

Now, should I get a lighter gauge so they are easier to bend? If so how much sound will be sacrificed if I do this?

Any advice?
Thats all personal preference. A lot of people will tell you that heavier strings produce "better" tone, but to be honest I think 9s sound better than anything else.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
I like the hybrid way, that is 010 on the EAD, and 09 on the GBE!
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Quote by USAPeavey
Thats all personal preference. A lot of people will tell you that heavier strings produce "better" tone, but to be honest I think 9s sound better than anything else.

Like this guy said. It's all preference. You could even end up wanting thicker strings, like me. I used to like thinner strings, but I really like the tension of 11's and 12's and I'm even playing on an extended scale guitar now XD

So I guess I usually use an 11 or 12 set with a 68 for my low A on my 7 string.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
How much "tone" if forfeited when the string gauge is reduced?

I wouldn't say tone is "forfeited", it's just different. It all comes down to preference, again.

The person earlier in this thread said they enjoy the sound of 9's better, so whatever.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
How much "tone" if forfeited when the string gauge is reduced?

Thats up for you to decide. You may like the lighter strings better, or you may think they sound like crap. IMO thicker strings sound "beefier", but I think lighter gauges have a better "attack" and are a bit tighter. Just my opinion though.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
you need to play more and get calisus on your fingers so it won't hurt anymore.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
It's not about callouses, it's about finger strength - 11s hold a lot more tension than 9's so they're a lot harder to bend.

I'd try 9's if I were you, you'll find them a lot easier to bend - if you don't like them then move up to 10's. Most players I know tend to use 9's, although quite a few prefer 10's on shorter scale length guitars like Les Pauls.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It's not about callouses, it's about finger strength - 11s hold a lot more tension than 9's so they're a lot harder to bend.

I'd try 9's if I were you, you'll find them a lot easier to bend - if you don't like them then move up to 10's. Most players I know tend to use 9's, although quite a few prefer 10's on shorter scale length guitars like Les Pauls.

Sounds good to me.

Do you know if any thickness will be gone since it is a lighter gauge? I am a fan of a very beefy guitar tone.
your finger tips will eventually get more calaced (sp?) and they wont hurt, as well as your fingers getting stronger will make it easier to bend.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
I recently made a similar change on my SG. From hybrid slinkies to power slinkies (0.009 at the top to 0.011) and vibrato is harder, bends would be but I play my strat so much that my fingers are used to tight strings and big bends. My tone is 'fuller' now I guess, it was definitely thinner with the hybrid slinkies. I do find it easier to play overall though, not sure why, but I guess give 0.009s a try and see what you like.