so i have a B-52 AT112 which is 60 watts all tube and i also have a Spider III 75.
i noticed that when i use my b-52 and my friend uses the spider during practice they both sound at about the same volume when if the get turned all the way up. arent tube amps supposed to sound louder than solid state amps
well at least thats what everyone says here...
ƒuck your nuts
well, if a 60 watt tube is as loud as a 75 watt solid state.... it would appear tubes are louder
Yes, tube amps tend to be louder, but you also have to take into account the speakers that they run through.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
There's more to it than just wattage, but tube amps do usually produce more frequencies that are audible to human ears. As far as 'louder' goes, two amps with similar specs but one being transistor and one being valve, the valve amp would sound louder.

No idea about this particular example though. Oh, and *insert obligatory joke about not turning a Spider up to 10 here*.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by roythereaper

No idea about this particular example though. Oh, and *insert obligatory joke about not turning a Spider up to 10 here*.

haha i knew that was gonna come up. i just did it to see if it was true about tube amps
ƒuck your nuts
Quote by K Dizzle
well, if a 60 watt tube is as loud as a 75 watt solid state.... it would appear tubes are louder

but 75 watts isnt much more than 60 even if theyre both tube or solid state
ƒuck your nuts
A Spider III dimed sounds like a fizzy mess. A tube amp dimed doesn't.

That's why turning a tube amp up sounds better at louder volumes.

Also: Speaker efficiency, cabinet size, EQ, and other things.

Wattage doesn't equal volume.
Quote by imgooley
A Spider III dimed sounds like a fizzy mess. A tube amp dimed doesn't.

That's why turning a tube amp up sounds better at louder volumes.

Also: Speaker efficiency, cabinet size, EQ, and other things.

Wattage doesn't equal volume.

i know tubes sound better but i wasnt talking about that though. i was asking y they are both about the same volume if tubes are supposed to sound louder than solid state amps
ƒuck your nuts
Quote by meanppls7
i know tubes sound better but i wasnt talking about that though. i was asking y they are both about the same volume if tubes are supposed to sound louder than solid state amps

But the tube amp, which is only 60 watts while the ss is 75, was as loud as the other one.

Didn't you answer your own question?

Quote by meanppls7

Could be bad tubes

Time for a tube change?
the question is, did the tube sound better at the same volume. because that is usually the difference between a tube and an ss. the tube should sound much better when kranked up than the ss, thus having a higher "usable" volume
Quote by r2zou
the question is, did the tube sound better at the same volume. because that is usually the difference between a tube and an ss. the tube should sound much better when kranked up than the ss, thus having a higher "usable" volume

No, he asked about actual "loudness"

don't you ppl read?

Quote by evening_crow
No, he asked about actual "loudness"

don't you ppl read?

No. They just belittle other people's shit.
Quote by Horlicks
Remember that there isn't much of a volume difference past 50 watts.

This. And equal wattage tube and SS amps put out equal dB if the other factors are equal too (speakers etc.). Tubes just sound louder, they cut through drums/bass/stuff better.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
There are alot of variables when it comes to perceived loudness. An old ampeg I had wasnt very loud on its own. But it was 1 channel with a single volume control. Put a distortion pedal in front of it with the level turned up it would get really loud. Signal going in has alot to do with volume. And Im gonna imagine the spider dimed didnt sound near as good as the tube amp dimed.
The spider probably has a lousy, low efficiency speaker. If you take two identical amps, put in one a speaker with a 97dB efficiency rating, and in the other one a speaker with a 100dB efficiency rating, the second one will be TWICE as loud.
You also have to be pushing the tube amps power section to get it's volume potential. Way too many people crank the channel volumes and leave the master volume on 1, 2, or 3. It should be the other way around.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION