No, what you're doing is muting strings. Anchoring is when you place your pinky or another finger on the guitar's body in order to help you keep your hand in place and help your picking dexterity and accuracy.

Some ppl consider this to be bad and some say it's ok. Don't let ppl talk you into believing either without you personally trying it out btw.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
some people anchor their forearm to the guitar body too (well I do) and i'm trying to get rid of that, but i would have though muting the strings your not using is a good thing?
Quote by Helpy Helperton
some people anchor their forearm to the guitar body too (well I do) and i'm trying to get rid of that, but i would have though muting the strings your not using is a good thing?

Muting IS a good thing. It's essential for some things such as sweep picking.

Quote by evening_crow
Muting IS a good thing. It's essential for some things such as sweep picking.

you might want to re-read my post, that is what I said
Quote by Helpy Helperton
you might want to re-read my post, that is what I said

Your original post has a question mark, therefore you were asking if it was a good thing.

putting the question mark at the end of an obvious statement is the same as face palm without using the

You are smart?
Muting is very important.

Anchoring is when you're resting your arm/hand with one or more finger on the guitar body, so that like your hand doesn't float. I'm not gonna argue if it's a good thing or not, people have different opinions on this subject.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.