I tried searching the forums but had trouble finding the answer. Anyways I have had my guitar now for about 2 weeks. It's an electric.

I bought Korg CA-30 a chromatic tuner with it, and find myself obsessing over tuning. I guess my question is, how far out does it have to be before you consider the guitar out of tune? Is there a margin within which you are ok, or does it have to be perfect 100% of the time. I guess I am asking what is normal and acceptable.
Quote by HighPotency
Probably a few cents off.

+1

Seeing as most tuners are 1 or 2 cents off, i'd say maybe 4 would be about the limit. Also, having proper intonation is very important because that will be responsible for the guitar being "in tune" throughout the entire neck.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I check it every time I play. It doesn't take a lot of time, so why not be in tune?
"It it best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open your mouth and prove it."
Have you set your intonation?

Also, you could maybe try getting better tuners, if it's not holding. My guitar holds it's tune perfectly and I don't really have to touch it.
i tune before i play and then every hour or so

or after some epic bending™

also i'm obsessed with being in tune, if both yellow arrow lights arent blinking on my pedal i HAVE to adjust it even if it's slightly out of tune
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by apec_solo_king
I check it every time I play. It doesn't take a lot of time, so why not be in tune?

Being out of tune never hurt the Rolling Stones.
as long as all my band are in tune together, We're in tune
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by Slackboy72
Being out of tune never hurt the Rolling Stones.

they were out of tune coz they were 'trying to be cool' but no it's not ****ing cool it's just stupid, i hate guitarists that do that to give them sort of an 'edge' but no it just makes u look like a lazy twat and sound shit
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
Quote by lukeuh36azabc
they were out of tune coz they were 'trying to be cool' but no it's not ****ing cool it's just stupid, i hate guitarists that do that to give them sort of an 'edge' but no it just makes u look like a lazy twat and sound shit

I'm pretty sure that if both guitarists and the bassist are in tune with each other, you can't really tell.
i obsessivly tune my guitar, it must be inperfect tune all the time
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
It really doesn't matter as long as the guitar is in tune with itself and the people you are playing with. My tuner usually says the whole guitar is a few cents flat, because I tune it by ear every time I pick it up. When I play with other musicians we generally tune to the piano or sax player.
I can tell by ear when it's out of tune.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer