Been looking at the Epi Valve Junior and other small tube amps. I really like the tone and features of the little giant in some demos i heard. Looking for a better practice amp than my current abomination. I play pretty high gain metal (Children of Bodom, As I Lay Dying, Etc.).

I was wondering how you think it would work for me. I'm planning on using my metal muff, but will this amp sound better with an overdrive pedal, Tubescreamer etc. And with that OD pedal do you think i could get enough gain for what i play.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
you're better off skipping the blackheart and getting something designed to handle high gain better. even driving the lil giant wont give you a satisfactory high gain tone on a budget in comparison to the way something like the krank rev jr would.

the valve jr on the other hand. ive seen a modded one give some sick metal tones
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
I love the little giant i was thinking about getting one. But i play a lot more rock then metal, but I do love metal. But i don't think that your gonna get what you want out of it. You could throw a dist pedal, or maybe an OD pedal when the BH is cranked.

But im not sure you'll get the sounds you want. But for a 5 watt all tube practice amp it might
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
i'm in love with the rev jr. but it's out of my price range, anything in the sub 400 range that you guys think would work?

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
i get a great metal tone using a modded epi vj and a metal muff.
Quote by mmjohn
i get a great metal tone using a modded epi vj and a metal muff.

Well what mod's are we talking about? cuz i'm not to handy with the tools LOL.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
your just using the metal muff for a metal tone. as for the gain on the metal muff you don't need to use much at all between 9 and noon at the most. as far as modding don't worry about much more than maybe swapping some tubes to nail your sound. very simple to do. and you might find a tone YOU like with out even having to do that.
Quote by mmjohn
your just using the metal muff for a metal tone. as for the gain on the metal muff you don't need to use much at all between 9 and noon at the most. as far as modding don't worry about much more than maybe swapping some tubes to nail your sound. very simple to do. and you might find a tone YOU like with out even having to do that.

Sounds cool, Got one question though? When you turn the VJ up isn't it gonna be dirty? I've put my metal muff in front of dirty amps before, and it sounded crap. Am I missing something?

And I like a lot of gain, Normally have the gain on the metal muff around 2 o clock.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
i never have to turn my vj above 11 o'clock and the level on the muff to around noon and use my eq pedal to dail it all in and and it is way loud enuff for the bedroom. just remember the more you turn up a single channel the more it breaks up so the more you have to back down on the gain on your distortion pedal. i have swapped out the preamp tube in my vj to a 12at7 for more clean headroom.
I don't wanna get a SS amp. Thanks MM. I'm in love with the Rev Jr. But It's a lot more. I just gotta try them all out and see if the Krank is worth the extra money.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by stewart91
fo that money get a cube or a vyper or valavlettronix

He's already got pedals. The Vj will spank all those amps for tone. Haven't tried the vyper 75, but the vyper 30 sounds a bit muffled for my taste.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
My local guitar shop is pretty well stocked amp wise. gonna go in sometime and check some out. Hopefully I can find a VJ. and i'm planning on getting some more effects, delay, phaser etc. so I don't need some halfassed modeling amp.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
^There ya go.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Necrophagist777
My local guitar shop is pretty well stocked amp wise. gonna go in sometime and check some out. Hopefully I can find a VJ. and i'm planning on getting some more effects, delay, phaser etc. so I don't need some halfassed modeling amp.

i would suggest a eq and reverb pedal for sure.
Quote by mmjohn
i would suggest a eq and reverb pedal for sure.

I'm a reverb addict so i'll get one of those and a MXR carbon copy delay for sure, I hear the MXR 10 band eq is nice too.

The nice thing is i can get the VJ with a few pedals for the price of the rev jr. on its own.

EDIT: what do you think the best 1x12 cab for it would be.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Sep 26, 2008,
The MXR 10 band is outstanding and a good match to the Vj. Only other pedal i use (besides a POD XT Live) is a dyna comp so I can't help you there. i have the Matching cab and it's ok. I also run 2x10's from time to time from my PA with it and it's a bit better I think, but inconvenient with my setup. I'm also using a variax most of the time and constantly switching between sound sources. If they have the head whereever you go, plug into a few different cabs. I'm itching to try 4x12's
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Yea, the matching cab from what i hear is hit and miss. The blackheart cab isn't too bad and the krank rev jr. cab is beastly looking just about 100 more than others. I think i've got the info i need to start going out and tryin some.

Thanks for all the help.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
The difference between the blackheart cab and Vj is openback for the Vj and closed back for the blackheart. Not sure, but i think the speaker may be the same. lady luck.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
The closed back is gonna have better low end right? Cuz my amp now is open back and it sounds horrible during breakdowns, like its gonna fall apart lol. It appears the VJ cab has the lady luck and the blackheart has a Blackheart by Eminence speaker. the krank cab has an eminence legend speaker.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Sep 26, 2008,
alot of ppl tell me its impossible to get a good metal tone from my blackheart.

could someone give a detailed answer to why a 5w tube amp cant do metal with a distortion pedal, i understand it cant do it without the pedal, so what is it that make it a bad tone with one? Would a 50w tube amp with the same pedal sound alot better than a 5w with that pedal ?
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard