So I was thinking about this and didn't know who to ask the answer - so I have come to the depths of the pit...

If you are standing on a moving car and jump into the air, the car will move away from underneath you and you will probably hit the floor quite bad... However if you are IN a moving train and jump you will land in the same place that you jumped from... HOW? Why does the fact that your inside make a difference? Surely if you jump inside the train the back of the train should come closer to you...

SAVE ME!
Signed.
To a point, the difference is that inside a train the air resistance is consistant, if you jump whilst on the roof of a car the difference in air resistance may cause you to go arse over tits backwards off it.
If you jump in a moving train, you have all the momentum, and if you jump, you will move at the same speed as the train. (you will slow down slightly, but you wouldn't jump high enough to make a noticeable difference).

The reason you go backwards on top of a car is because the car is moving but the air that you are in is still. In a train, the contents of the carriages, including the air, move at the same speed because they are contained.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Take the ends of the train carriage and it would be the same as jump on a moving cars roof
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
^ JackalUK is right. it's physics.

when you're in a train, you're moving at the same speed as the train, and you're moving relative to the train. so you jump and you land at the same spot. there's no air resistance because you're inside.

On top of a car, then yes you're moving forward at the same speed as the car, relative to the earth, because you're on it, but because of air resistance you'll be swept backwards relative to the car.

EDIT: everyone else that posted is right as well.
Quote by JackalUK
To a point, the difference is that inside a train the air resistance is consistant, if you jump whilst on the roof of a car the difference in air resistance may cause you to go arse over tits backwards off it.

I can always rely on the jackal... but thank you to all! I know it's just physics but I'm a Surveyor and I'm well tiered right now...

CASE CLOSED.. - How can I close this thread?
Signed.
Umm... well it depends on the way you jump.

If you are on top of a moving car (not accelerating, and traveling in direction perpendicular to gravity ie horizontal) and you jump straight up you will land in the exactly the same place you jumped from because the only force acting on you is gravity and you're moving the same speed as the car.

The same applies inside the train

EDIT: forgot to mention that in this case air resistance is negligible.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Last edited by EnyoAdonai at Sep 26, 2008,
There is no wind resistance in a train.

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.