I spend a lot of time playing guitar and on the computer. i just picked up my bass and my wrist hurt like a motherfucker. I dont think that was carpel tunnel but it got me thinking.

Is there anything i can do? drinking / eating certain things, not doing anything that works my wrists to hard ( ) stuff like that.

Thanks
i dunno but wen u find out let me know hey =]

i havent played for 2 weeks now cos of freakin tendonitis...

i cant play or work out.. nothing..
heaps loving life atm lol
MD5K
IBANEZ
i use a powerball. It's suppose to help decrease the chances of getting RSI and carpel tunnel if done at lower speeds..... although i get a bored and try and break my record in the end, probably isn't to gr8 for my wrist then, oh well.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
STRETCH. I have carpel tunnel and the only thing that keeps me able to play is continually stretching. So player for twenty minutes, stretch for three, repeat.

Also, if you are developing the of carpel tunnel, stop playing. Don't even pick up your guitar. Instead spend the time studying theory or thinking about new approaches to your music. Once you feel it (I'd to happy to explain what it feels like if you wish) stop playing for two weeks, that's right two weeks. After the two weeks stretch, then pick up your guitar and see how you feel.

Hope I helped
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
Once you feel it (I'd to happy to explain what it feels like if you wish)...

Could you explain how it feels? 6 months ago, a masseuse said I had the very early stages...no problems playing (knock on wood) but I want to be on the lookout for symptoms.

Thanks, dude.
It feels someone just punched your nerves in your wrist, and at the same time extreme cramping. Often your knuckles will hurt and you'll become really tense.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Thanks for the info, man. Thankfully I've had nothing close to that severe.
you might want to do these exercises with both hands at the same time as your picking hand will benefit as well. I do them when driving sometimes, I try to remember to do it before I play, and afterwards, but I forget a lot.

try spreading you fingers as far apart as possible without really hurting for 5 seconds, the relax it, then again. then try keeping your 1st 2nd and 3rd fingers together but stretching the pinky as far out as possible, then do the klingon "live long and prosper" sign as far apart as possible, then keep 2nd 3rd and 4th together and stretch you pointer out.

have your hand fairly loose and bend your hand up at the wrist (don't use the other hand to push, i think that might be bad) as far as you can without it hurting too much for five seconds, then down, then to the left, then to the right.

don't push to hard with any of these, right where it starts to hurt (or it simply won't go any further) stop and hold it there. obviously pain is your body's way of telling you you're injuring yourself, and that's what you're trying to prevent. however, if you go to where it starts to hurt just a little and hold it, it'll stretch out the tendons and muscles and junk.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
you might want to do these exercises with both hands at the same time as your picking hand will benefit as well. I do them when driving sometimes, I try to remember to do it before I play, and afterwards, but I forget a lot.

try spreading you fingers as far apart as possible without really hurting for 5 seconds, the relax it, then again. then try keeping your 1st 2nd and 3rd fingers together but stretching the pinky as far out as possible, then do the klingon "live long and prosper" sign as far apart as possible, then keep 2nd 3rd and 4th together and stretch you pointer out.

have your hand fairly loose and bend your hand up at the wrist (don't use the other hand to push, i think that might be bad) as far as you can without it hurting too much for five seconds, then down, then to the left, then to the right.

don't push to hard with any of these, right where it starts to hurt (or it simply won't go any further) stop and hold it there. obviously pain is your body's way of telling you you're injuring yourself, and that's what you're trying to prevent. however, if you go to where it starts to hurt just a little and hold it, it'll stretch out the tendons and muscles and junk.

Thanks. I put some icy hot on it (don't ban me!) and soaked it in warm water for a few minutes and it seems better. Still, I'm not gonna play guitar again till tomorrow just to be sure.

EDIT: Those stretches helped alot. Thanks
yay! I succeeded in giving good advice instead of just asking for it!

edit: oh, and another thing obviously is to really work on your technique. like try to stay as relaxed as possible, try to keep you finger fingers from flailing around three inches above the fretboard, and all that. just in case you haven't been working on it already.

doubledit: lol, follow your sig's advice as well
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Sep 27, 2008,
Quote by The4thHorsemen
yay! I succeeded in giving good advice instead of just asking for it!

edit: oh, and another thing obviously is to really work on your technique. like try to stay as relaxed as possible, try to keep you finger fingers from flailing around three inches above the fretboard, and all that. just in case you haven't been working on it already.

doubledit: lol, follow your sig's advice as well

Thanks, I'm going to be working technique so i dont have to have another three day break.
I will suggest some stretches, but first, I highly suggest reading about carpel tunnel, and how the muscle system in your wrist works. I spent a long time learning those things and now I make my own up (as well as use the ones I learned in martial arts, work like a charm)

The most obvious one would be to just stretch you hand back, so that the tips of your fingers are moving towards the top of your for arm. Do this until you feel it really stretching, then hold it for 10-30 seconds.

Next is to bend your write the opposite way. Be careful with this one. When my symptoms are in full effect, this one can cause crippling pain, so watch it. Take it slow and if it hurts at all release the pressure and straighten your wrist immediately.

Next one is fairly tricky, so listen up. Hold the hand you want to stretch out in front of you, palm down. Grab the top of your hand with the other one so the fingers on both are lined up, thumbs on opposite sides, both palms facing down. Now, turn the hand your stretching so that your palm is facing the side of your body it resides on (right hand palm facing right, left hand palm facing left). You should now be looking down the knife edge of your hand, the thin side with the little finger on it. Keep this knife edge facing you and bend the hand into you, like you are trying to point your fingers into you face.

For the last stretch, make it so your palm is facing away from you like you just pushed someone. Now keep your hand in that place, but rotate it so your fingers are facing down and your elbow is pointing as directly to the ceiling as you can make it. Take your other hand and grab the hand you are stretching, your thumbs should be on opposite sides. Now use this grasp to rotate the hand so the thumb is moving towards the opposite side it was one. ex. For the right hand, the thumb should be on the right side from your perspective, simply rotate it so it is on the left.

I'm sorry if those aren't explained very well, but I did my best. If deciphering these becomes a real problem I might try to find the time to post pictures or videos.

Note : Apart from these stretches, you should also be sure you are playing with as little tension as possible, pressing down as lightly as possible, and keeping your wrist as straight as possible.

Hope I helped

Evan
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by Final !mpact
I spend a lot of time playing guitar and on the computer. i just picked up my bass and my wrist hurt like a motherfucker. I dont think that was carpel tunnel but it got me thinking.

Is there anything i can do? drinking / eating certain things, not doing anything that works my wrists to hard ( ) stuff like that.

Thanks

avoid sugar & caffeine. Drink plenty of water. When you type, try an ergonomic keyboard that keeps your wrists in the neutral position. Standard keyboard cause us to angle our hands towards the Ulna (Ulnar deviation), which causes tension and can lead to RSI's like Carpal Tunnel. Also if you use the computer alot I would suggest using a trackball instead of a mouse. The mouse leads to alot of RSI's as well.

Here are some good RSI prevention exercises:

http://www.videojug.com/film/rsi-prevention-exercises

If you think you actually have an RSI I would recommend this site here:

http://www.selfcare4rsi.com/carpal-tunnel-syndrome.html
shred is gaudy music
^ i don't know how your mouse / keyboard are placed, but when using them, my wrist is almost 100% straight with my arm. is that wrong? : /
No, straight is good.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by RCalisto
^ i don't know how your mouse / keyboard are placed, but when using them, my wrist is almost 100% straight with my arm. is that wrong? : /

if your fingers align with the keys and your using a standard keyboard your hands will be slightly angled towards your pinky. With ergonomic keyboards the keys are angled so both hands remain in the neutral position.

take a look at this:

keyboards: Ulnar Deviation
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 27, 2008,
well, i can surely say, i'm not in a bad position. it probably has got to do with the height of my chair and desk, my wrists are always straight, not angled forward or backwards, or sideways. i can't reach the keys on the keyboard with my right hand perfectly fine, but instead of bending my wrists sideways, i just angle my whole arm, from the elbow.

the only 'injury' i've got is my left wrist, which never hurts me at all, other than when doing push ups (not always) or when supporting my whole body on that wrist. i've got no idea what i've got there really, but it never bothers me, only sometimes when working out.
Quote by RCalisto
well, i can surely say, i'm not in a bad position. it probably has got to do with the height of my chair and desk, my wrists are always straight, not angled forward or backwards, or sideways. i can't reach the keys on the keyboard with my right hand perfectly fine, but instead of bending my wrists sideways, i just angle my whole arm, from the elbow.

the only 'injury' i've got is my left wrist, which never hurts me at all, other than when doing push ups (not always) or when supporting my whole body on that wrist. i've got no idea what i've got there really, but it never bothers me, only sometimes when working out.

well good. It would have more to do with the width of your body VS the width of the keyboard. Are you really skinny? For most people... their body is wider then the keyboard, so the arms come in at an angle.... not straight, so the hand is angled slightly to align with the keys.

Did you look at that page?

anyway, thats good if your hands align fine. + you're young, you won't likely deal with these kinds of issues until you get older. (hopefully you never do).
shred is gaudy music
i did look at the page, but didn't read it though. just looked at those pics.
i'm not skinny. i'm medially built i'd say. and if point my arms straight forward, they do have the same width as the keyboard. the whole thing from one side to the other, not just the letters side.
Posture when at the guitar is exceptionally important (see first lesson in sig - section on posture includes vid), as is warming up.

When warming up, it's good to actually physically shake your whole arm out. So many people warm up by making tiny-guitar-specific motions. Which do not necessarily actually pysically warm you up.