I was wondering if this would make a difference, and if you guys had any tips. I'm mostly using my crate V30 tube combo right now, it's got plenty of power, and (used to) sound awesome, but I think the tubes are getting near the end of their road (they're about 2 years old, and run VERY hot). It has 3 12AX7's in preamp and 4 EL-84's in power amp. It's class A, with an AC-30 type tone. I'd like to get a bit less of the british style response, and a bit more warmth and drive from it. Any suggestions?
1) We don't sit around waiting for your threads to respond to. So please be patient when expecting responses.

2) https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473149

^^^ Search function does wonders. ^^^

edit: bah!!! beaten by the sauce
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
ok, sorry about that. All are still glowing, so they're at least doing their part. I've read that article, but was wondering if you guys ever mix & match tubes? Would that do any harm?
I haven't, but people do that often enough to try to squeeze out more unique tones. I don't think it should harm anything.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Mixing preamp tubes is fine.

That is what I was meaning. Should have been more explicit (d'oh).
Thanks for all the input guys, really helpful, but one last question: does is matter if the tubes have gold plated pins? a friend of mine swears that it makes a big difference.
Quote by forsaknazrael

TS: You're not really likely to get more gain with a preamp tube change. You can use lower gain tubes for less gain...But otherwise, no.

Ok, my amp came stock w/ groove tubes (sovtek?) and I hear these are pretty much junk... will changing over to a matched set of, say JJ power tubes be a good move?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Order from dougstubes.com.
Replace the EL84's with JJ's, and stick Tung-Sol 12AX7's in V1 and V3. Then in V2, stick a Sugang 9th Gen 12AX7.
I'm not 100% sure, but V2 should be for your drive channel.

Sweet. Thanks again for the great input, I look forward to trying these out!