my friend is going to take up guitar more seriously (he's a drummer) he isnt going to have it as his main instrument but he wants to learn the basic stuff to help with his GCSE music.

i know that if i just show him chords he won't bother practising them so i figured if i can find a couple of songs with the chords in he might find it more enjoyable and actually want to learn and not be put off.
so basically suggestions. i plan on showing him chords like A,D and E first and maybe C,G and some other really basic ones
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
should i stay or should i go
highway to hell
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Bob Dylan-Knocking on heveans Door
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciAHTrCRY-Q
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
also

do you think i should show him power chords?

Quote by _bacon_

Quote by WARLOCK123
also

do you think i should show him power chords?

Show him the basics of them,if he learns them i think he will have more fun makeing up own simple stuff well just messaround whith them in general
especialy if he has an Electric guitar whith distortion
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
the trouble is he doesnt have an electric. his acoustic is old and i doubt the fretboard has been oiled in years. i wouldnt be suprised if the strings have been on there a few years.

i told him he should get it re-strung but he says he doesnt have the money.whhich i find odd as his parents bought him a £130 double bass pedal last week. so how they cant afford £10 to have a guy in the shop re-string the guitar and tune it is beyond me

Quote by _bacon_

*insert typical drummer joke here*
Good luck. You might endup getting replaced by him
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
*insert typical drummer joke here*
Good luck. You might endup getting replaced by him

i doubt that. he doesnt have the intelligence or patience to have guitar as his main instrument. i remember when i first showed him a couple of little things and he was like "show me joe satriani songs"

Quote by _bacon_

He might just need to inspiration of learning parts of a song first. He also might just be playing for the wrong reasons...
Guitars Owned: Yamaha F335
Quote by 1 Winged Angel
He might just need to inspiration of learning parts of a song first. He also might just be playing for the wrong reasons...

like what?

Quote by _bacon_

Well songs I would say to learn first would be Horse with No Name and Wonderwall... but that might not be his style. You could try satisfying some of his hunger with Always with me, always with you by Joe Satriani. The very first part is rather easy... Would help him learn a little dexterity with his fingers.
no what did you mean when you said he might be playing for the wrong reasons.

did you mean that he might be learning to play so he can get girls etc. if so then he wont cause all he has is a shitty acoustic thing and he cant even afford to re-string it so i wouldnt worry. if it was a year ago then he would buy an electric but his family dont have the money now.

the thing is if he does get a teacher then he will get one who will show him how to play little riffs and he wont learn any theory or stuff like that. that would be the worst thing cos he would go around playing those little riffs showing off cos he can be a cocky twat

Quote by _bacon_

Last edited by WARLOCK123 at Sep 28, 2008,
Yeah, I'm saying he might be learning for the wrong reasons like to only learn a single hard song by an artist he likes. Its like saying "I want to learn to guitar so I can play the solo Herman Li from Dragonforce does on Through the Fire and Flames." Just a little unrealistic to learn a specific instrument to only do a specific solo. I mean like any other instrument you work your way up to things. Not saying its impossible, just not really worth the amount of time you would put into it then...
And if he is learning to get girls, last time I checked that's a legit reason ^_^''
And on the restringing the guitar... I restrung my acoustic my first time rather fine. Took about an hour doing the whole thing my first time but I did it fine. Its not something that's really that hard to learn.
Last edited by 1 Winged Angel at Sep 28, 2008,