I'm not a huge fan of the looks/feel of the body on the 51' and am thinking about getting a body made to put the electronics in. I'm new to he whole customizing guitar thing and am wondering if it would be as easy as just taking the electronics out and throwing them in the new body. That sounds too easy, so I'm wondering how I could go about putting the electronics in say... a strat or a tele style body.

cheers.

i think you got it the wrong way round. you're meant to buy the '51 and do things to it, not take things out of it!
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
ha, well.. its a nice guitar and everything, but im just not diggin the look of it.
yeah once i get around to this, i could sell the body and stuff. I need some fundage before i go through with all this though.
I live on the other side of the world from you mate.
ill add ya and if i have it when i go back to the states, ill let ya know.
Hold on. . .you're saying you're buying a beginner guitar (usually used for modding) and just using the electronics?
You realise it'd be easier to buy the pots and switches and a set of pickups. . and you wouldn't have to have wasted a whole guitar.
punk, I have all those covered, but the body just isn't doing it for me. I really like the guitar, but the body i'm just not too fond of.
A Squier 51 body is near as dammit the same as a Strat body. What you're thinking of doing would be totally pointless.
well what I would get wouldn't just be some regular strat body. And it would be cheaper then buying a new guitar.
If i were you, i would buy a nre pickguard for it. GFS has some nice ones that look more like Tele Customs, and look muuuch nicer than the Tele bass ones on them factory. It pretty much is a Strat body, so putting em in a Strat would be a bit pointless.
no, it really wouldn't. Also, the stuff on the '51 isn't good. period.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
On both of my 51's, I changed all the electronics out except for the rotary switch on one, and the bridge pickup on the other.

I think the neck pickup is dull and lifeless... but the bridge is pretty cool sounding.

What color do you have? The black ones and the Sunbursts look good with no pickguard on them. You can just leave the screw holes or do like I did with my black one, I put black screws in the holes. A lot of people don't even notice them... and those that do think it actually looks pretty cool.

For the price, you can't get a better guitar to mess around with. You really should just modify the hell out of what you have.

Have you been here? http://www.instituteofnoise.com/squier51/forum/default.asp

Take a look in the shop talk forum and look at the customized 51's thread. That will give you some ideas... and the guys there are all about modifying the '51.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
I have a black one, and it already is modded... mine sounds great.
and yes, ive read every page of that forum haha
the 51 body is the same general outline as a Strat.
but the pickguard, covering all that real estate on the upper horn, is ugly as fuck.
and it's uncomfortable, because it lacks a gut cut and a forearm relief.
i'm not sure if the dimesions / profile of the neck pocket is like a strat, a tele, or something unique. it seems a chore to refit a body to a neck. and this is a discount neck, anyway. i suggest:

1 - cut down your pickguard so the upper part is similar to a strat.
2 - make a gut cut and a forearm relief in the body.
3 - refinish/paint
4 - ?????????
5 - PROFIT

this will be a ton easier and cheaper than a new body.
everything is already fitted to this one, so you get to skip all that shiz.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Hey Someoneyouknew, usually you are dead on the money... but this time you're off.

The Squier '51 has both a tummy cut and a forearm cut. The body is EXACTLY like a Strat body, with a 1.5" thickness. It's a very comfortable player.

The neck is a proper Telecaster neck. The '51 body has a Tele neck pocket to fit it. If you put a Strat neck on the body, use a 22 fret neck so the overhang hides the gaps in the corners.

The Tele neck that comes on it is the BEST Squier neck I've ever seen or played. A little attention to the fret ends with some sandpaper and steel wool... and its perfect.

The pickguard is god-awful. I agree. Thats why I stripped it off of my black one. I mounted two PAF humbuckers in it. (Burstbucker 3 in the bridge, actually)

I have a Might Mite reverse Strat neck on it and its strung up with 12's and drop tuned. The tone that comes out of this guitar is incredible. It's been played by many, many people and has always received excellent marks in looks, playability, and tone.

So yeah, you can take a $69 guitar and make it into something really special.

The fact that the body route only has holes for the pickups and controls makes it cool. You have no limits on what you can do pickguard-wise... or pickguard-less.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
Hey Someoneyouknew, usually you are dead on the money... but this time you're off.

The Squier '51 has both a tummy cut and a forearm cut. The body is EXACTLY like a Strat body, with a 1.5" thickness. It's a very comfortable player.
my apologies.
i don't know why i was thinking the 51 was without relief.
now i'm really confused on why TS would find it uncomfortable and think a Tele body would be an improvement in comfort.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I didn't mean it was uncomfortable.. it was just that I'm looking to start playing a lot more gigs and I really like the guitar, but I'm wanting a more attractive body.. something more.. my style.