what do compressor pedals do? i want to buy one. but i dont iknow what they r used for
When I buy my wife, at first she cook good, her vagine worked well, she strong on plow, but three years later when she was fifteen, she receive hair on her chest, her voice become deep, "BORAT, BORAT", and her vagine hang like sleeve of wizard
they... um... compress things?

But really, if you run the level (using a boss cs-3 as an example) high they can be a very slight gain boost. However, most people run them as either a "tightener/sustain booster" on their solos, or they'll throw them in the effects loop to give they amp a little more punch.

Hope that helps!
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
im sorry for being an ass but i just have to say it...if you dont know what it does or what is used for, why would you want one?
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Why do you want to buy something that you don't know what it does...?

And they basically compress the sound - I like using it on cleans/mild overdrive a lot. Sounds similar to some Skynyrd tones.

Also, the sustain boost is handy for solo tones, especially with something like a strat.

I've the Boss one, which is great, but quite noisy, so you'll need a noise gate too most likely...
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
^^ Agreed.

Basically they made loud sounds quieter and quiet sounds louder, so they even out your dynamics/loudness.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
dear thread starter. how much searching did you do before creating this post? I ask because just yesterday I was wondering exactly what a compressor did. After about 2 minutes of searching I found quite a bit of information and all my questions were answered without the need for a new thread.

Please try to search next time. It's good for you, and for us.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=958496&highlight=compressor
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=891233&highlight=compressor
try wikipedia, google, or even the FAQ at the top of the forum. cas worked nice and hard on that announcement, so the least you can do is read it.