A while ago I asked if I should get the ampeg BA115, and then I was told about Ashdown. I went to my music store and tried Ashdown amps and found I loved the tone more.

I am thinking of getting a Ashdown ABM 410T 4x10 which is 600 Watts, but I don't know what head to get. I was thinking a MAG 600H head, but I don't know anything about amp - cabinet things. I know the watts need to be the same, but I'm confused.

What head do I need for a 8 Ohm 600 watt 4x10 cab?

CAB: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-ABM-410T-4X10-Bass-Speaker-Cabinet-with-Tweeter?sku=605024

Also, I can get the 4 Ohm one.
DB Player
Last edited by abornael at Sep 26, 2008,
An Ashdown ABM head would be the best bet the ABM 500? and I think you should get the 4 ohm one as then you will not need two cabs if the head is 4 ohms.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Rywad
An Ashdown ABM head would be the best bet the ABM 500? and I think you should get the 4 ohm one as then you will not need two cabs if the head is 4 ohms.

Um that didnt make much sense the abm cab runs at 8 ohms so youll need two of them to run it at 4 ohms and at full power. But i agree that you should get the abm head its much better sound and quality its a bit more but its worth it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
He means if you want full power through just one cab, then get the 4 ohm Ashdown cab. Which is good advice.
The wattage of the cabs need to be higher than that of the head. Underpowering too much can be a problem, but far better than overpowering them.

A 4 ohm cab will (in most situations, some heads can handle 2 ohms, but ignore that for now) get the most power out of a head. An 8 ohm cab will get a bit over half.

However, if you later get another 8 ohm cab, then can be used by the head at the same time to get a total resistance of 4 ohms, so getting the total power with more speaker area. More speakers means a little more volume for the same power, and also you can more easily combine cabs with different speaker configurations in order to change the way your heads tone is projected.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Sorry i didnt relise there was o 4 ohm ashdown 4x10. but i still would rcommend getting the 8 ohm one running through abm evo 2 600 and then adding a a 1x15 or something for low end. it ill still run at about 300 watts through 8 ohms.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Thanks Boyce, not making much sense seems to be one of my traits, just got back from band practice I used the ABM300 Evo1 (like i always do for practice as thats what they have at the studio i use) for the last couple of hours. Nice amp but I wouldn't reccomend it, unless you got the Evo 2 as the evo 1 quite frankly lacks some safety features. Like for instance at like 12 o' clock volume it hits the red on the VU, where the evo 2's take quite a bit to get into the red. Also it was paired with a 1x15 & 2x10 cab, like the 3 speaker ones.

Also Jack, you ever been to Cell studios (used to be Impact studios) in Cemetery junction? Thats where I practice
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

How does it sound, Rywad? The vu isn't that accurate - if you don't hear clipping from the preamp then there's no need to worry if it's in the red. Are you using the compressor? (does your version have a compressor?)
Theres no compressor on this one, the amp is pretty much in a state of disrepair. When you slap a little bit too hard you get what sounds like a kick drum. When the EQ is pretty high it starts to fart and make problems. Surprisingly I find my MAG better. But I think a Evo II ABM would shit on it. I don't want to mess about too much with it cause I'm not really in a position to pay for the damages. Keep meaning to try a evo II just to see how much better it is. But yeah a MAG is better than an ABM300 Evo I (cheaper too!).

It also worries me that with no tone up on my bass that the VU is always in the red if I play fairly aggressively with a pick and similarly when I play nicely with my fingers. Guess its getting old.

Also I nearly cried at college today, saw what looked like a late 90's (could be older) Fender Jazz I suspect its MIM but it didn't have it plastered all over it so it 'could' be an MIA which makes this sadder. Completely dented up and dirty. I felt like offering a couple of hundred & a replacement bass to give it a better home.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Last edited by Rywad at Sep 26, 2008,
Quote by Rywad
Also Jack, you ever been to Cell studios (used to be Impact studios) in Cemetery junction? Thats where I practice

I know where you are talking about. A little place that looks pretty run down?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Yeah, they're pretty decent inside. Got some crappy Line 6 half-stacks and some ABMs, nice little place. Its only £5 an hour. There doing some refurbishing at the moment, the whole soundproofing is kinda gone.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

I second the ABM head recommendation =)

I purchased the 500 evo 3 recently (the one with on-board compressor) and it's a beaut. EQ unit is the most concise I've had on a bass amp. Each twiddly bit and each slidy bit actually does something!

Tube preamp's gawwwjus too.

So in general, lovely lovely amp (: there's also the Ashdown mag range, but compared to the ABM they're a bit lacking. I hear Gallien Krueger (spelling?) also do some decent heads for not too much at all.
Saaay... d'you want to go see a movie?