right, i understand the wwhwwwh and all that lark, but do you literally go up and down the fretboard with that and other,forms? and what else do i need to know about scales or is that it?
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
You can use the notes in any order you want, it's how you write melodies.
Call me Batman.
ohhhh so thats how you do it, but do you just swap the letters? or do you replace halves and wholes?
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
You could spend your whole life studying scales - this isn't something you just "get" in a couple of weeks.

Scales are there to be studied, analyzed, understood and ultimately used to create stuff - the mechanics of playing a scale are pretty much irrelevant, what's important is understand the relationships between the different notes and also whatever it is you're playing them over. Really you want to be worrying about how things sound more than where your fingers go.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i totally agree, i was learning scales for improvisational playing
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Quote by t0m_r0cks
ohhhh so thats how you do it, but do you just swap the letters? or do you replace halves and wholes?

It would seem that you don't understand them. The "WWHWWWH and all that jazz" is just one way of describing the intervals of the scale. Use that formula to figure out the notes in the scale you want to use, and then play those notes in any order you want. anywhere on the fretboard.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
seagull dude is right
todays guitarist play from the tab to their fingers and nothing goes through their head. learn the correct intervals and live by them a scale isn't a tool its what music is ( even heavy metal believe it or not, even though they would avoid them to be dissonant)