Basically, I can kind of read music. (Meaning I know stuff like All Cows Eat Grass )
I also know the fret board very well.

I want to improve the way I read music so that I can sight read, pretty much so reading music is as second nature to me as reading tab. I have a good understanding of a lot of musical concepts.

So I'm looking for books with interesting basslines written in music in the bass clef, and not tab underneath it. (The Chilis tabs books I have, have music written but I find myself reading the tab anyway so I'm not getting anywhere.

I'm interested in music from ska, to jazz, to rock. So can anyone recommend me any books that will help me?
Last edited by soundcheck1 at Sep 26, 2008,
Why not just get Guitar Pro and turn off the tab?
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14597197&postcount=204

Start here. Some of these have tabs, but many don't.

Quote by Gakusey
Bassists can't read!

Ha ha guitar forum. That way....
I know the Mo-Town book dosn't have any tab in it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Neither does the Jaco book "Modern Electric Bass". Both of those will keep you occupied for some time, believe me.
buying a music book: $10
local college lab band: $20
learning on the job: priceless
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by soundcheck1

Yes--especially if you want to learn jazz standards. Now one mention--its only the "head" or melody line with a chord chart and not the bass lines for those songs. As a jazz bass player you are expected to play your own bass lines to the chord chart. But it will assist you in sight reading for sure.
Quote by anarkee
Yes--especially if you want to learn jazz standards. Now one mention--its only the "head" or melody line with a chord chart and not the bass lines for those songs. As a jazz bass player you are expected to play your own bass lines to the chord chart. But it will assist you in sight reading for sure.

Cheers for the help