I am looking for an OD that can go from a natural overdrive, to a Mesa, to a JCM-800, and everything in between.

I was thinking a VooDoo Labs, or a Marshall OD pedal.

Any other suggestions?

Also, is the following too many pedals for rythm?

COMP
OD
CHORUS
SPACE ECHO
TUNER
You're back? Are you still trying to play through a solid state amp?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by sk8erk1d1313
what's wrong with playing through a solid state?

skater, you see, a long time ago this guy hung around forums asking for amp advice refusing to take our word on solid states. Solid states are fine to play through, it's just for the budget this guy was giving us, there are better amps.
Quote by Highwaytohell
skater, you see, a long time ago this guy hung around forums asking for amp advice refusing to take our word on solid states. Solid states are fine to play through, it's just for the budget this guy was giving us, there are better amps.

ah i see
Quote by sk8erk1d1313
what's wrong with playing through a solid state?

Most of the time you can find a tube amp that will sound better at the same price. The only times I'd recommend solid state is for practice amp or if you need lots of versatility and you have a short budget, otherwise tube is the way to go. Solid state amps lack the warmth and dynamics that tube amps provide.
Quote by neptune1988
I am looking for an OD that can go from a natural overdrive, to a Mesa, to a JCM-800, and everything in between.

I was thinking a VooDoo Labs, or a Marshall OD pedal.

Any other suggestions?

There's no conventional OD or distortion pedal that covers such a wide range of sounds, what you're looking for is some kind of modeller - look at the Tech 21 SansAmp GT.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
personally, i think thats too many pedals for rythym playing. but, to each his own. my quarrel with that many pedals is that your tone gets processed through allt hose pedals before going to the amp, so your tone is not a natual. i always associated rythym playing with just a bit of OD, and maybe some slight compression.

Quote by Kevin Saale
Most of the time you can find a tube amp that will sound better at the same price. The only times I'd recommend solid state is for practice amp or if you need lots of versatility and you have a short budget, otherwise tube is the way to go. Solid state amps lack the warmth and dynamics that tube amps provide.

not true. many players use SS amps for their consistant tone and easy maintenance. B.B. King, the man with the warmest tone imaginable, plays through SS amps. many Jazz players do aswell.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 26, 2008,
I don't think BB kings tone is all that great (not to mention he used a bassman most of the time) and jazz players don't want dynamics.

Say what you will about tone, but solid states don't have the same dynamics, you can't play lightly and clean up a dirty signal or dig in and get some breakup.
To answer everyones questions, no. no more SS. I am buying a Crate V-series (18W) for smaller gigs. I am also saving for a Mesa (not sure which model yet), for medium to larger gigs.
Quote by Kevin Saale
..... and jazz players don't want dynamics.

Don't mean to be rude, but I've never heard that before. Is that actually a true statement?

Edit: And I would think, as long as he is not using all those pedals at once for a pure rhythm tone, he should be fine..
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Last edited by sabbathu at Sep 26, 2008,
They want a very mellow flat sound where every note sounds the same, something solid states do well.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I don't think BB kings tone is all that great (not to mention he used a bassman most of the time) and jazz players don't want dynamics.

What?

Kevin, you seem to be mistaken. I saw an interview with BB King where he said he used a Fender Deluxe or Super back in the day.

Also, to say Jazz players don't want dynamics is just plain false. I play in 2 jazz bands, and if I don't have the ability to go from whisper quiet to overwhelming verge of break up fervor, my playing is going to be forgettable.

I play a Fender Twin for Jazz band.

BB's tone isn't as good, but I still haven't seen a link with BB's gear.
Surely BB uses a Gibson Lab Series solid state?
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
I was under the impression most jazz players didn't want dynamics, which is why many used solid state amps. I guess I was wrong.

You're right about bb too, I knew it was some kind of old fender.

Well, if Jazz players want dynamics then they should go tube too.

Quote by RubberSoul54321
Surely BB uses a Gibson Lab Series solid state?

He did when cbs bought fender, he didn't like their amps then. I do believe he went back, I think on his 80th bday or something like that when he played on lenos show he had a fender. I'm 90% positive on that.
Quote by Kevin Saale
They want a very mellow flat sound where every note sounds the same, something solid states do well.

I know the sound you're talking about, and it may be true in some cases. But, Jazz is one of the most expressive, dynamic forms of music out there. When jazz guitarists go through, lets say, 32 note patterns, every 2nd or 3rd note is accented, syncopated and phrased with dynamics.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Quote by Kevin Saale
I was under the impression most jazz players didn't want dynamics, which is why many used solid state amps. I guess I was wrong.

I'm assuming you don't listen to a lot of Jazz, then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvyLUfEZIfY

Check the Dynamics on that.
You would be correct. Goes to show, when you don't know, shut up.