Which is set in Neo-Manhattan, apparantly. And is directed by someone who's never directed a feature film before. And has Robert de Niro in.

If you happen to be a fan of the manga or anime I'll apologise now for p*ssing on your parade.

Quick prediction: Film flops as epically as the Titanic (the boat, not the film) and leads to a slew of anime/manga-to-live action conversions from Hollywood and -1 Charisma and Will for anyone who was a fan of them before the films.

EDIT: It's in two parts and they're both still being produced by Warner.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Last edited by roythereaper at Sep 26, 2008,
Quote by GiantRaven

I love the book but even though this is probably going to wank in the face of it I really can't wait to see how it turns out

I know I'll hate myself for it, but inevitably, I will pay to see it in the cinema.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Quote by GiantRaven
The anime film was ****ing god awful.

At least the film versions will be consistent in your eyes I personally enjoyed the anime, even if it was flawed.
Call me Callum

Quote by metaldud536

Ah i'm being overly harsh, I didn't like that it seemed to completely ignore the majority of the book

You know...like the new film probably will anyway
Quote by GiantRaven
Ah i'm being overly harsh, I didn't like that it seemed to completely ignore the majority of the book

You know...like the new film probably will anyway

Oddly enough, the live action version's being based more around the manga, y'know, being set in America with white characters and all that.

Wait, what?
Call me Callum

Quote by roythereaper
Oddly enough, the live action version's being based more around the manga, y'know, being set in America with white characters and all that.

Wait, what?

Its set in America?

I love it already for sheer stupidness
Quote by GiantRaven
Its set in America?

I love it already for sheer stupidness

Yea, as I mentioned in the opening post it's in Neo-Manhattan, from what I've read. And sadly, everything I've read has given citations and seems to be factual.
Call me Callum

wat
Call me Callum

and live action Evangelion film is rumoured.... set in america.... and very little reference to the original story...
Go Forth & Die

Team \m/ Olive

X

red X of DOOOOOOM!
Meh.

I think it's going to be a really hard conversion. I could see Dragonball working, to an extent, but Akira is such an experimental film, and trying to convey a lot of that movie to live action would/will be insanely hard.

Like the toy room scene, and the giant fetus monster ( ).

I don't know. We'll just have to see.

No point in criticising the idea.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Evangalion could be interesting in live action format.

To Fallenangel, it's more the problems that will occur (the toy scene and giant fetusbeastmonsterabortion thing) and the Americanisation of it. I'd be equally displeased if they set it in Neo-Brixton (but the violent gangs would be more realistic). That being said, I pray to God it's good.
Call me Callum

Quote by roythereaper
Evangalion could be interesting in live action format.

To Fallenangel, it's more the problems that will occur (the toy scene and giant fetusbeastmonsterabortion thing) and the Americanisation of it. I'd be equally displeased if they set it in Neo-Brixton (but the violent gangs would be more realistic). That being said, I pray to God it's good.

+1

I agree totally, it certainly already has a few problems, and it probably won't be the strongest movie in the box office.

But, yes, I'm having high hopes, for the time being.

Once I get to see any kind of trailer (no teaser, I want footage from the film), then I'll have a better idea if I'll support it.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I love Akira, never heard anything about this till now, cheers TS!

Edit:
Akira will be developed into two live action films with the first scheduled for a summer 2009 release. Warner Brothers and Apian Way will adapt the two movies from the manga, with each one covering three volumes. Akira will be Ruairi Robinson's directorial debut for a feature film. He was nominated for a short film Oscar in 2002 for Fifty Percent Grey. Gary Whitta is writing the script. Andrew Lazar, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Jennifer Davisson will produce the film. No announcement has been made regarding the cast.

o gawd.
RULE BRITANNIA
Last edited by Cobain_Is_King at Sep 26, 2008,
meh im sure i will see it neways, same with the dragon ball movie

but im not getting my hopes up
You are now blinking manually
I wonder if they will be able to recreate that strange phrasing akira had, lots of empty atmospheric moments