k. i just got garageband and im trying to start off doing some acoustic covers but i dont really know how to start. for example, when i play the rhythm guitar its hard for me to remember how many times to play a certain riff and when to change without the vocals to back me up and i cant record the vocals first or else it will sound tone deaf. and for some reason im having a hard time keeping time with the metronome even tho im usually good at keeping a beat. recording is harder than it looks. so.....any tips or advice?
I hate my sig
Last edited by QuantumMechanix at Sep 26, 2008,
make sure you know the song 1000000% before u record it.
DO NOT GET STRESSED.- ive been so stressed before i endedup having to buy a new monitor.
try listening to the song whilst recording the guitar, it may remind you of what comes next.

x
yeah. and no cause if i mouth the vocals it messes up my timing with the metronome. i thought the metronome would cure all my problems but its kinda making it harder. i think im just gonna write down how many times to play each part. that shoud work right?
I hate my sig
I haven't used Garageband myself, but usually in recording programs you can put in time markers so you can easily see where the start of the verse/chorus/etc... is

just put in a marker every time the riff changes and watch the computer screen for when you need to change
Yeah I use Garageband. I used to use Cakewalk and theres heaps I cant do. Eventually I'll move on to the Logic Pro Studio but in the mean time it get's the job done and I find work arounds to the limits.

Anyway on to the problem.

I add a software track and choose rock drums as my instrument and put in a basic drum beat - high hat, snare, bass drum. Keep it simple. Then add in simple drum fills and variations that let you know when the changes happen. You might add a simple bass line to assist you further too.

You can always take the tracks out after you have your guitar track laid down.
Si
^thanks for that but im actually just doing acoustic cause im on a trip right now and all i have is my acoustic. but the part about the drums might help. thanks!

Quote by Ssargentslayer
You just have to know the song through and through. Or just loop repeated parts.

wow....i didnt even think of looping it. haha that might actually help alot.
I hate my sig