Just a quick question...

If you rely on a pedal for your distortion doesn't that mean you don't realy need an expensive amp?

Thanks
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Well.

If you're sound is drenched in Distortion, then you don't really need to spend hundreds on "Tone".

But don't buy the first sound box you see, try a few out, What's your budget?
no, get a good amp

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
No, not at all. I mean, if you have a pedal that produces great distortion then it sort of means that you don't need an amp with such good distortion on it, but the fact is that you should rely on your amp for good distortion more than a pedal; a pedal should be used to either get an alternative distortion tone, or to boost the existing distortion on the amp. So if your amp's distortion sucks, it's better to buy an amp with better distortion than to use a pedal instead.

But if your amps sound is no good you should probably get a better amp anyway, because the amp is pretty much the crux of any sound you try and produce.
depends on what sound you need.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
It depends really.. but I wouldn't recommend relying solely on your distortion..
What kind of music do you play? cause if you're a hardcore distortionist (i think i just made that word up) and play heavy rythm etc. then perhaps the quality of the tone isn't that important.. then again if you are a more light distortionist (i hope this word catches on) then think about the amps abilities too. but pedals help alot so no doubt there. hope i helped a little
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')
This is bunny. copy/paste him into your signature
and help him on his quest to take over the world!
Well I use a vox ad 30vt and play 80's metal The current distortion on my amps pretty good but I want something more cutting and distinctive. Also, the other guitarist in the band is apparently drowning me out with his line 6. Idealy I want a pedal that can do early metallica thrash and that "chunking" rhythm with screaming sustain for solos.
I hear the digitech grunge is good within my price range...
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Are you joking? I can drown out my friend's line 6 spider III 75 without turning my amp up more than his. Also, vox valvetronix are great amps for the price.

Answering your question, no. Your tone will only be as good as the worst piece of equiptment in your rig.
Quote by turtlewax
Just a quick question...

If you rely on a pedal for your distortion doesn't that mean you don't realy need an expensive amp?

Thanks

expensive amp > your pedal

If your already satisfied with the pedals sound thats your preference , but Im just pointing out that youll be holding yourself back
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
No, not at all. I mean, if you have a pedal that produces great distortion then it sort of means that you don't need an amp with such good distortion on it, but the fact is that you should rely on your amp for good distortion more than a pedal; a pedal should be used to either get an alternative distortion tone, or to boost the existing distortion on the amp. So if your amp's distortion sucks, it's better to buy an amp with better distortion than to use a pedal instead.

But if your amps sound is no good you should probably get a better amp anyway, because the amp is pretty much the crux of any sound you try and produce.

Distortion + distortion = really bad tone/feedback.

I think you mean Overdrive

And to answer the TS, a good pedal won't eliminate the need for a good amp, the amp is most likely going to be more versatile than your pedal.
NOTHING eliminates the need for a good amp.....except dying.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
A couple of points leap to mind here. Firstly, if you're playing in a band I would think the Vox AD30VT would be a little lightweight so you'll probably need a more powerful amp anyway. I'm assuming that you also have very limited funds available.

Secondly, it sounds like you're looking for a more extreme metallic type of distortion and the Vox is far better suited to Classic Rock. If you want to limit your expense, keep the variety of a modelling amp, keep the low volume capability of solid state and have plent of quality high gain tones then I'd change your amp to a Roland Cube 60. They're powerful enough for a gig, play well at very low volumes, offer tremendous distortions that will be far more like what you're looking for and the cost is surprisingly reasonable.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
good amp is always a must, a amp with shit hardware can ruin the distortion from your pedal.
You can't plug in a Digitech Death Metal into a Line 6 Spider 3
(Well not without getting horrible tone)

I plug in a Digitech Death Metal pedal into my Fender Super Champ.
Sounds decent..
But consider the "Blackstar HT-DISTX" pedal
Has 2 12ax7's in it.
Tasty

5150/6505 for the win
Although I gotta say the Line 6 HD100 (Valve)
Is tight, considering the head is only $800

Shit no.
Try running a BOSS Metal Zone into a Fender Frontman, like my friend did.
Enjoy your shitty tone.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
The pedal still needs an amp to play through, and regardless of the pedal, the quality/tone of the amp will ultimately be what you hear. Not to mention different amps will react differently to different pedals.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by turtlewax
Well I use a vox ad 30vt and play 80's metal The current distortion on my amps pretty good but I want something more cutting and distinctive. Also, the other guitarist in the band is apparently drowning me out with his line 6. Idealy I want a pedal that can do early metallica thrash and that "chunking" rhythm with screaming sustain for solos.
I hear the digitech grunge is good within my price range...

i would not recomind a crapy amp but if you are looking for a thrash sound in a digitech id get the death metal or scott ian the death metal i think is the same price
No, unless you spend hundreds on a really really good distortion pedal.
A good pedal through a bad amp might get an okay tone.
A good pedal through a good amp will get a much better tone.
Member of the Laney Cult
Hmm. Try using the UK modern amp model and keep the gain at around 1 o clock. You should buy a OD pedal (Boss OD-1 or Tubescreamer would be fine).
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
It all depends really. I play mostly ambient/indie music, and I rarely use much distortion (my tastes change a lot over time) so I use a Metal Muff, Big Muff, and the distortion from my Crate V33 (not all at once mind you), even though it's dark and a little muddy it works well for how I use it. A lot of great guitarists use good clean amps and a distortion pedal, Thom Yorke, J Mascis (though he also uses a JMP-1 preamp as well, if I'm not mistaken) David Glimore, and many more.

All I have to say is, find out what works for you, I love my tones honestly, a thousand people will tell you that JCM800's and Peavey 5150/6505's are the way to go. I've play combos of both of these amps (rather extensively) and I didn't really like either of them, they weren't bad amps by any means, just not my style.
Member of the vegetarian club

Arbor AF-100
Cheap Kona

Boss PH-2
Ibanez DC10
NYC Big Muff
Little Alligator
Peavey Rockmaster
TC G-Major
FCB1010
BBE 401 Maxie
Boss RC-20

70's Fender PA 100
Well to be honest I did think I drowned my freinds line 6 out, it was the bassist who said he cut over me... So I guess I was right. Oh, and obviously its gonna sound crap through a fender frontman. I think I should just clear things up and say that I just want a more cutting distortion rather than natural valve (well valvetronix) distortion