so i just got my new tube amp (in my sig)
i was just wondering whever the tubes need to be broken in before they start to overdrive properly.

even when i turn the amp right up i get minimal overdrive.

ps. it is only a day old
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Built Acoustic
Epiphone Valve Special
Marshall Guv'nor GV2
tanglewood 1000 pu resonator
washborn acoustic
My Build
no real break in. should have listened to the amp before you bought it to make sure it was gonna be high gain like you were looking for. time to trade it in or buy an OD pedal
I'm not sure exactly how long, but I know that you need to play for about 20-30 minutes before the tubes get fully warmed up, at which time the amp will overdrive properly. But in terms of more permanent breaking-in, the kind you're referring to, I simply don't know. But I would guess quite a few hours of playing on the amp would be necessary if other machines are anything to go by.
damn , those things look nice, whered you get it?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
i got mine from drum power for $380 AU with free postage

looks like i'll be getting an overdrive pedal as well, but that was always the plan
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Built Acoustic
Epiphone Valve Special
Marshall Guv'nor GV2
washborn acoustic
My Build
Quote by bluesnewb
so i just got my new tube amp (in my sig)
i was just wondering whever the tubes need to be broken in before they start to overdrive properly.

even when i turn the amp right up i get minimal overdrive.

ps. it is only a day old

are you turning up both the gain and the master volume? I know it's a silly question but I have to ask.

I have a Valve Jr. and if I crank it, it breaks up a decent amount. I do prefer to run it at like 9 o'clock volume and use a Fulltone OCD for OD.
yeah i tried turning up both or just volume or just gain

doesn't really break up as much as i expected but still got some wicked blues tones
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Built Acoustic
Epiphone Valve Special
Marshall Guv'nor GV2
washborn acoustic
My Build