Ok, heres the deal. Right now I'm doing the Buddhism unit in RMPS, and apparently to become a "Buddah" (Enlightened one) you must not desire anything at all because this causes suffering.

My question though, is how can you not want to crave anything to become a Buddah, because do you then not desire to be a Buddah?

It confuses me, any answers?

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
It's a rather basic paradox (considering those found in other religions), and I think the desire thing refers specifically to physical or "temporary" items anyway.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
you must not become a enlightened just because you crave to become enlightened

thats like donating money to orphans or whatever because you want people to like you...not that you want to help the orphans
Quote by break-me-in
It's a rather basic paradox (considering those found in other religions), and I think the desire thing refers specifically to physical or "temporary" items anyway.
Yeah, I always thought that referred to worldly items/possessions and not your "immortal soul" or whatever it is called in Buddhism.
It means material possessions and worries

read Shambhalla:Sacred Path of the Warrior...

my uncle runs the Naropa University bookstore, spent many a good days over the summer workin for nugs and munchies

Buddhism is cool, more of a philosophy than religion
Quote by RU Experienced?
Yeah, I always thought that referred to worldly items/possessions and not your "immortal soul" or whatever it is called in Buddhism.

but isn't it true that buddhists believe that there is no soul, annata i think is the word, i cant really remember

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by jam phan420
It means material possessions and worries

read Shambhalla:Sacred Path of the Warrior...

my uncle runs the Naropa University bookstore, spent many a good days over the summer workin for nugs and munchies

Buddhism is cool, more of a philosophy than religion

+1

A buddha is said to come once buddism is forgot in the world, therefore the budha comes and teaches it to the world, just like siddharta
Quote by divinorum69
+1

A buddha is said to come once buddism is forgot in the world, therefore the budha comes and teaches it to the world, just like siddharta

like, someone who has reached nibanna, but then decides to be reborn to help teach the path to enlightenmen?

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
The only way to eliminate desire is to fulfill what you desire.
So once you have the desire to eliminate all other desires and you do so, it is no longer a desire but a reality and you have reached a stage of enlightenment.

Material desire will never suffice. Therefore the path to enlightenment lies only in being rid of these.
Gear:
Fender Strat American Deluxe,
Halfsize Custom Electro-acoustic
Yamaha Classical
Tanglewood Dreadnought

10w Marshall
120w Line 6 Spider II
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

Yamaha Digital Piano
Yamaha Keyboard
Last edited by ShreddyVanhalen at Sep 26, 2008,
Quote by ShreddyVanhalen
To only way to eliminate desire is to fulfill what you desire.
So once you have the desire to eliminate all other desires and you do so, it is no longer a desire but a reality and you have reached a stage of enlightenment.

thanks dude you really explained that in a way that i understand lol

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by EMGs_rule
but isn't it true that buddhists believe that there is no soul, annata i think is the word, i cant really remember

I honestly can't remember, haven't been over Buddhism in a long time. I'm sure you could get a much better answer from someone else on this site, I'm far from an expert on this topic.
Quote by EMGs_rule
thanks dude you really explained that in a way that i understand lol

Not bad for a 16 year old huh?
Gear:
Fender Strat American Deluxe,
Halfsize Custom Electro-acoustic
Yamaha Classical
Tanglewood Dreadnought

10w Marshall
120w Line 6 Spider II
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

Yamaha Digital Piano