I've been playing guitar for a while now, mostly metal, and I have a slight problem. My technique seems fine, but whenever I play something with a lot of distortion, i seem to get this "overkill" of ringing noise. It's most noticeable whenever I sweep pick, there's a ton of excess noise when i let off of the strings, like bits and pieces of harmonics. I've tried to mute those extra strings with my pick hand palm, but I still get a lot of noise. Any tips?

(btw, I play with a Boss ML-2 Metal Core with the distortion set to about 1:00, and my pickups volume is set about half way. I also play with a moderate delay)
It is simply practising your muting. The higher gain of the distortion picks up these little flaws and amplifies them enough to make it very noticable.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by IronMaidenRules
I've been playing guitar for a while now, mostly metal, and I have a slight problem. My technique seems fine, but whenever I play something with a lot of distortion, i seem to get this "overkill" of ringing noise. It's most noticeable whenever I sweep pick, there's a ton of excess noise when i let off of the strings, like bits and pieces of harmonics. I've tried to mute those extra strings with my pick hand palm, but I still get a lot of noise. Any tips?

(btw, I play with a Boss ML-2 Metal Core with the distortion set to about 1:00, and my pickups volume is set about half way. I also play with a moderate delay)

No, your problem is not ENOUGH distortion. You need 6 Digitech Death Metal pedals in a row in your effects chain. Play a low E powerchord once and suddenly all your female fans are pregnant with your child.

Seriously, its just practice. Play with the distortion you like, and over time, you'll unconsciously develop methods of muting the strings. Just practice.
Quote by Sample246
No, your problem is not ENOUGH distortion. You need 6 Digitech Death Metal pedals in a row in your effects chain. Play a low E powerchord once and suddenly all your female fans are pregnant with your child.

I had 33 distortion pedals in a chain once.

Most epic, noisy, loudest thing I've ever heard.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Do you use an effects pedal? Those can contribute to artifacts as well.

If you have reverb on your amp, try turning that down as well. If your gain is only at 1:00 you should have it pleanty low. Turn the level on the pedal down, as well as the gain (dist). Try turning the pedal off and see if it still happens. Try turning your tone knob down and keep your volume knob at about halfway on your guitar. A little troubleshooting should tell you where the artifacts are coming from. If none of that resolves it, it's probably your fingers.

Pedals are great, but IMHO you should use them almost as a "boost" rather then the source of your tone. I see a lot of players who crank the hell out of their pedal and it sounds like garbage. Unless you have a crappy amp, rely more on the distortion that the amp provides and use the pedal to give you just that tiny extra crunch. I use my pedal as a TS-01 tube screamer turned down low and the difference is barely noticable, however it does make single note runs sound "meatier".

Hope that helps
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play